Mea culpa...I was wrong about Trent Murphy...

eball

5 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Murphy has been performing very well for way more than one game, and it is very likely you know that. You seem to like taking a sliver of the big picture and make it the basis of your argument. 

Go Bills!!!

you’ve missed the point of a two word response. 

the OP (not me) clearly thought that, after last year’s performance, Murphy should be “out of Buffalo”.   My response was questioning how he went from point of view after a whole season of games, to the opposite point of view after “one game”.

Hope this helps...  

12 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

you’ve missed the point of a two word response. 

the OP (not me) clearly thought that, after last year’s performance, Murphy should be “out of Buffalo”.   My response was questioning how he went from point of view after a whole season of games, to the opposite point of view after “one game”.

Hope this helps...  

I mean, to anyone watching the games it was evident he was doing well at the tail end of last season too. 

He played excellent in the playoff game. So I do agree that if op did only come to this conclusion from this game alone it’s a little suspect. But if you also factored last seasons games (especially at the end of the year) there are more games to go off of. 

I know it seems to be the new cool thing to say, but the “lets get rid of Murphy and bring in x, y, and z.” Was a tad shortsighted as the games he played anywhere near 100% he was playing at a high level. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Like (+1) 1

Not quite there yet, but think that Trent, when healthy, can be a very good addition to our DL rotation.

As I believe he is a UFA next year, he should be very motivated to elevate his play this season so that he can make some coin on the open market.

I don't see the Bills breaking the bank next year, but another year gives our developing DL prospects more time to grow.

A calculated value move by McBean to balance veteran skill and team continuity vs letting Murphy go.

5 hours ago, Bobby Hooks said:

I mean, to anyone watching the games it was evident he was doing well at the tail end of last season too. 

He played excellent in the playoff game. So I do agree that if op did only come to this conclusion from this game alone it’s a little suspect. But if you also factored last seasons games (especially at the end of the year) there are more games to go off of. 

I know it seems to be the new cool thing to say, but the “lets get rid of Murphy and bring in x, y, and z.” Was a tad shortsighted as the games he played anywhere near 100% he was playing at a high level. 

Take that up with the OP.

On 9/16/2020 at 3:16 PM, eball said:

It's early, I know, but judging by what Beane, McD, and his teammates said about him before last Sunday, and watching his performance against the Jests, it is clear that I completely missed the boat on wanting him out of Buffalo. I don't think players read this site but if they do, then Mr. Murphy, you have my sincere apology.

This Bills' DL is fierce, and Murphy is a significant part of that.

5 hours ago, eball said:

No, not one game -- did you read the post?

Sure did.

Before this game you were not compelled to post this (despite something about what his teammates had said).  Reading this post, one should conclude that before this one game you were of the mind the you wanted him out of Buffalo, and after this game you changed you opinion completely (which is fine of course).

On 9/16/2020 at 4:07 PM, Sherlock Holmes said:

Crow-plate.jpg

I'm one of the only ones that said to stop making him a Kelsay type whipping boy!! I'll be serving you all up some nice plates of crow throughout the season:wub:

edpttjdrod8tbndo4qli.jpg

"Damn straight, Sherlock."

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, soflabillsfan1 said:

I liked Murphy coming out of college.  Never wanted to cut him here.  He's an above average DE.  He's no Chris Kelsay, who totally sucked.

I think the issue with Chris kelsay wasn't that he was bad.  It's just that buffalo couldn't like... find a way to get the guy to like 3rd in the rotation - where he should have been.  Schoebel was a good pass rusher, and kelsay probably would've been fine as an early down rotation/depth guy.  Instead they just kept extending him and assuming he would improve from the player that he was. 

A horrible symptom of the drought was the spinning the wheels around certain players.  It's almost like they were trying to be wrong.  

Edited by dneveu
  • Like (+1) 1

I mentioned a few times on this board over the offseason that Murphy was a beast down the stretch last year (I told folks to rewatch the Dallas game, the Pittsburgh game, and the Houston playoff game...he had pressures, sacks, turnovers...and was always good against the run). I was surprised that people were overlooking how well he played last year. Everyone was so disappointed with his first season, and the amount that he was paid for it, that I think that sentiment just kept going even when he did start to play well.  

His injury from when he was with Washington was so catastrophic that even though he was able to play (sparingly) for us in his first year as a Bill, his body obviously wasn't healed yet. He was only 13-17 months removed from a major injury during that season (he tore both his ACL and MCL in that knee). At the start of last season, he was two years removed from his injury and about 1/3 of the way into the season, he finally looked like his old self. So, I think the injury just took two years to fully heal...not surprising with how bad it was.

On 9/17/2020 at 9:15 AM, Uncle Joe said:

Apparently Trent and Jerry have become good friends.
https://sports.yahoo.com/trent-murphy-shows-worth-bills-235743117.html

Loved this quote from Beane in that article. One that we fans should keep in mind:

"It’s not all stats versus salary with us.”

Full quote for context (regarding Trent Murphy):

“His leadership is very important to what he brings, and there’s value in that,” Beane said. “A lot of times people get caught up in this number or the stats, but Trent does a lot of the little things and a lot of the dirty work, too. It’s not all stats versus salary with us.”

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/17/2020 at 6:41 AM, Joe in Winslow said:

Which still is pretty damned solid.

Not really because there's a 14 game stretch with 3 sacks and 15 if you include the game lost to injury.  Again, playing healthy seems to be the problem with Trent and I hope he's finally there.