Mea culpa...I was wrong about Trent Murphy...

eball

I was never on the "cut Murphy" bandwagon. But good lord, Joe B couldn't stop talking about it all summer. He had to delve into the cap stuff and whatever money they'd save. It's not like the dude is on a record breaking deal. 

I've always figured you can never have enough solid DL/pass rushers. And McDermott's defense has always depended on a really strong DL. On top of that, we don't know if Murphy was at or even near 100% healthy in '18 and '19. And yeah, I'm aware that no player is 100% as the season progresses but I say this in regards to the injury he's dealt with for a while now. He's also part of a rotation that McDermott sticks to pretty religiously so these guys aren't playing 75% or more of the snaps. Plus they have their responsibilites on each play. Also, I like Darryl Johnson but without pre-season to evaluate whether he's taken the next step, it's tough to roll the dice on him right now, so it makes perfect sense to keep a veteran who seems to be returning to the player he was before his injury. Maybe even better. 

I've said this before but Beane and McDermott bring in guys for more than just their on-field production. They're obviously very big on culture and finding the right type of players for that culture. They want guys like Murphy in the building because they want their rookies and young guys to observe his practice and preparation habits and emulate those. 

The entire approach to team building and how they operate everything is such a huge contrast to how things were run for the last 20 years. Can't explain how nice it is to finally have competent leadership and how that's permeated through the building to create a team that players genuinely want to join. 

Edited by blacklabel
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Well if you want to go there, you should also add those earlier games he was working his way back from a serious injury recovery as well to be fair.  I will take the more recent body of work more removed from that injury over those games he was still working his way into shape and trying to carve out a role for himself.  

My only point is you can't stop at 7 games and 7 sacks to tell the whole story of what Murphy has been.  Hes clearly talented but his issues are staying healthy and contributing for more than short stretches.

I think it goes without saying we all hope he's finally going to be what they saw in him and stay on the field.

• Like (+1) 2

And what will happen if he gets hurt next week or has a bad game? There'll be 30 pages of people saying how injury prone he is or how we should've gotten rid of the guy.

1 game against the Jets is too little to take much from imo. But i'll continue to hope for the best from him regardless of my feelings on him.

11 hours ago, MJS said:

Great job owning up to it. Murphy got a lot of unwarranted hate around here. It's good to see he is playing well.

Disagree on unwarranted. He was suspended for PEDs and, like many who partook, was badly injured for more than a year. ‘Skins’ dumped him. We had to pay through the nose for a very ‘unlike McBeane’ FA and it took 2 full years before we saw anything truly worthwhile. Yes, 7 in 7 is a nice rebound, but would he even be starting if we re-signed Shaq?

49 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Disagree on unwarranted. He was suspended for PEDs and, like many who partook, was badly injured for more than a year. ‘Skins’ dumped him. We had to pay through the nose for a very ‘unlike McBeane’ FA and it took 2 full years before we saw anything truly worthwhile. Yes, 7 in 7 is a nice rebound, but would he even be starting if we re-signed Shaq?

maybe we didn't resign Shaq because we had Murphy....  and with that knee surgery it takes at least a full year before a player starts to come back from it...   the same thing is going to happen to Harrison Phillips look for him to really rebound next year

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, eball said:

It's early, I know, but judging by what Beane, McD, and his teammates said about him before last Sunday, and then watching his performance against the Jests, it is clear that I completely missed the boat on wanting him out of Buffalo.  I don't think players read this site but if they do, then Mr. Murphy, you have my sincere apology.

This Bills' DL is fierce, and Murphy is a significant part of that.

Still, he played fewer snaps than Mario Addison. Interesting.

16 hours ago, eball said:

It's early, I know, but judging by what Beane, McD, and his teammates said about him before last Sunday, and then watching his performance against the Jests, it is clear that I completely missed the boat on wanting him out of Buffalo.  I don't think players read this site but if they do, then Mr. Murphy, you have my sincere apology.

I have been re-watching all of last years games and Murphy was constantly in on the action.  It made me wonder why there was such a din from fans to get rid of him.

16 hours ago, eball said:

I  will wait and see until the Bills play higher level of competition,  the Jets offensive line is not great.  So you really cannot make any evaluations until 6-7 games . Yes i still would have liked the Bills to use his money on signing big name free agent DE.   My reason is when you play the elite teams with great QB's like KC ,  while sacks are always best you Dline needs to get quick pressure forcing QB's into making quick decision.  Can he provide consistant pressure againt good teeams who have very good Olines?

We shall see,  not about what i want,  it is about the team and if he can provide both sacks and consistant pressure than i am more than happy to eat crow.    Too early to say it was good move keeping him around.

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

one game?

Murphy has been performing very well for way more than one game, and it is very likely you know that. You seem to like taking a sliver of the big picture and make it the basis of your argument. 

Go Bills!!!