Mea culpa...I was wrong about Trent Murphy...

eball

1 hour ago, AirAllenPower said:

Darryl Johnson was bull rushing fant into the qb multiple times 

Hes gonna be a good one!

😎

Darryl Johnson has, I think, put on some muscle since a year ago, when he was pretty skinny for his height.  If his frame can take it, I would think he could probably play at 265 given the fact he's listed as 6'6"

It’s funny how we hate on players based mainly on their salary which we want to spend elsewhere. 
Was Murphy overpaid? Yeah maybe but not as exaggerated as it’s made out to be compared to lots of defensive ends. 
I consider him as just another player and nothing overly special but his effort always seems to be there. I’m not a fan of how far his rush can be exposing that entire side of the pocket but it seems that may actually be by design. Happy to see some hate go away though on here. Going to need to find new whipping boys this season 

1 hour ago, eball said:

It's early, I know, but judging by what Beane, McD, and his teammates said about him before last Sunday, and then watching his performance against the Jests, it is clear that I completely missed the boat on wanting him out of Buffalo.  I don't think players read this site but if they do, then Mr. Murphy, you have my sincere apology.

This Bills' DL is fierce, and Murphy is a significant part of that.

Is this where I get to say a collective "I told you so" to all those who were just focused on cutting him?  I was never the guy claiming Murphy was a world beater, but I did keep telling people he's better than he's getting credit for here and was never in danger of being cut.  

I did think with the log jam at DE his future he was questionable as he did seem like a guy Beane thrives on flipping for good draft capital.  But once Star opted out and Jefferson was moving more towards DT, it was no longer definitive we needed to move one of our DE's.  

And its also why I kept telling people the AJE no dress week 1 was a non story in terms of AJE career projection.  Murphy and Hughes were no brainer starters given they are the only 2 DE's who knew the system here.  And as GunnerBill and some others also pointed out, Murphy was getting a lot of buzz about having a very strong camp.  Which meant AJE was going to need to leap frog Addison (that was never gonna happen before week 1 who is a better all around DE than Murphy too) or Darryl, which was also never going to happen given Darryl's immense ST value.  

Cant wait to watch this team unleash hell on both sides of the ball again this week and squish the fish.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, White Linen said:

However he has 8 sacks in his last 18 games.  

Well if you want to go there, you should also add those earlier games he was working his way back from a serious injury recovery as well to be fair.  I will take the more recent body of work more removed from that injury over those games he was still working his way into shape and trying to carve out a role for himself.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

Murphy was coming off injury when we signed him, and the coaches knew full well it would take some time to get up to par, as is usual it takes far longer to heal and be in top game day shape than most fans can tolerate.  There abouts a quarter of the way through last season he really started playing noticeably better and has shown to be staying at a high level of performance since then, SM said as much in PCs in the recent past. A lot of folk here get all riled up about his money, and act as if it’s coming out of their own pockets. Frankly I don’t give a flying “F” what any of these guys get paid (top 5% in wages nationally) as long as they play well, and he does. 

We have a good D and there is no reason to be getting rid of quality contributors.

Go Bills!!!

I think some thought Murphy was reason why we had preseason games they were so irrational.  

I also think there is some reverse racism there.  Like McCarthy got in Carolina where I saw a lot of fans there saying 'there is no such thing as a good white RB."

I recall a few years ago when we first picked up Murphy, he was coming off that leg injury. When I spoke up for him then not fully contributing a lot of people were nasty. The limited action he portrayed showed me we should give him a chance,glad he's proven people wrong.

2 hours ago, eball said:

It's early, I know, but judging by what Beane, McD, and his teammates said about him before last Sunday, and then watching his performance against the Jests, it is clear that I completely missed the boat on wanting him out of Buffalo.  I don't think players read this site but if they do, then Mr. Murphy, you have my sincere apology.

For some odd reason fans have been trying to drive him out of Buffalo almost from the start of his career here.  I've always maintained that he's above a JAG level player, and he's good enough to be part of this teams D-Line rotation and we have a pretty good D-Line.  The idea that we should just cut him without installing his replacement never made sense to me, it's not as if the Bills are in a cap crunch.

• Like (+1) 2

His salary is just over $6 million -- not much for a quality end anyhow.  I think $3 million of his pay or so is amortized bonus that we would have ate even if we cut him.

He is only 29, probably has 3 good years left.  If he has an eight sack season, gets pressure and is stout against the run, why would we not re-sign him?  He is a six year vet and missed a full year - should have plenty left in his body for another 3 years.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, eball said:

you are not alone my friend. me too.

It was never about Trent's ability.....he is a solid pro.

It is about his ability to stay on the field which we are going to need to see.

Personally....I am rooting for him.....it didnt kill our cap to keep him so why not keep the talent on the team.....I can wait for a bit for AJE to get his NFL feet under him.