HoF List Announced

GG

13 minutes ago, eball said:

#16 passing yards all time.  #22 passing TDs.

I don't think "HOF" either, but it's not as crazy as you think.  Went to a Super Bowl.

I don't think that's good enough, personally.

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Dan Fouts had about the same numbers with an extra season--except far more INTs--and only 6 of 15 seasons with a winning record.  Yet he got in on first vote.

Dan Fouts put up those numbers in the 70s when it was significantly harder for a QB to have great stats and made first team all pro multiple times.  I would argue that he was the first heavy passing volume "modern" QB and absolutely deserves to be in the HoF.  Bledsoe played in a gentler era with only one second-team all pro, which HoF voters care quite a lot about.  Bledsoe was never dominant in his era like Fouts was.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Dan Fouts had about the same numbers with an extra season--except far more INTs--and only 6 of 15 seasons with a winning record.  Yet he got in on first vote.

Dan Fouts was a 6 time Pro Bowler and 2 time First Team All-Pro, though. Bledsoe was a 4 time Pro Bowler and never all-pro.

I just don't think he is hall of fame worthy. Maybe the hall of very good?

Edited by MJS

Just now, MJS said:

Donuts was a 6 time Pro Bowler and 2 time First Team All-Pro, though. Bledsoe was a 4 time Pro Bowler and never all-pro.

Maybe the hall of brain dead?

Sorry Fezmid. :( 

49 minutes ago, MJS said:

Dan Fouts was a 6 time Pro Bowler and 2 time First Team All-Pro, though. Bledsoe was a 4 time Pro Bowler and never all-pro.

I like what some have recently said on this board about the HOF. Remember, it’s the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Stats. Basically, if you tell the story of the NFL does Player X need to be mentioned? In many ways Bledsoe was a part of the beginning of the pass-happy NFL. He also gave us an all-time nickname: Drew Bledsoe-much-he-needed-a-transfusion. 

5 minutes ago, eball said:

I like what some have recently said on this board about the HOF. Remember, it’s the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Stats. Basically, if you tell the story of the NFL does Player X need to be mentioned? In many ways Bledsoe was a part of the beginning of the pass-happy NFL. He also gave us an all-time nickname: Drew Bledsoe-much-he-needed-a-transfusion. 

Ok so basically he will be in the HoF for being average... Can't wait to see Fitz get in.

Just now, TBBills said:

Ok so basically he will be in the HoF for being average... Can't wait to see Fitz get in.

If you believe my post was supporting Bledsoe’s inclusion you are mistaken. I was simply giving another perspective. 

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Wow, Bledsoe is on the list? In what universe is he a hall of fame candidate?

Remember it’s the hall of fame, not the hall of talent... so there are folk in the hall without big stats. 

Go Bills!!!

2 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

I just laugh at some of the names on here: Drew Bledsoe, Jeff Garcia, Dave Krieg, Ronde Barber, Seth Joyner, Ricky Watters, Tiki Barber, Roddy White, Wes Welker, Jared Allen, Warrick Dunn?

These are potential Hall of Famers?

My cut down list.....

First Time Eligible:

QB: Peyton Manning

WR: Calvin Johnson

DB: Charles Woodson

Additional Nominees.....

QB: Steve McNair

RB: Shaun Alexander, Mike Alstott, Eddie George, Jamal Lewis, Fred Taylor

WR: Henry Ellard, Torry Holt, Reggie Wayne

TE: Ben Coates, Brent Jones, Jeremy Shockey

OL: Tony Boselli, Lomas Brown, Alen Faneca, Kent Hull, Richmond Webb

DL: John Abraham, Richard Seymour, Bryant Young

LB: Sam Mills, Patrick Willis

DB: Eric Allen, LeRoy Butler, John Lynch, Darren Woodson

P/K: Gary Anderson, Jason Hanson, Reggie Roby

ST: Mel Gray, Steve Tasker

I agree with your list in terms of the guys I have seen except Jared Allen is a legit candidate. 

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Lots of Bills LBs nominated.

And lots of very good players nominated but only a very few that I think are deserving of the Hall.

I've always been torn about Tasker.  He was great at special teams but that's not a lot of reps per game.  If he wasn't a Bill, I'd say no.  

Respectfully disagree. You can't promote how the game has 3 phases and then not recognize the best player to ever play one of those 3 phases. Ray Guy is in the HOF, that's all I have to say about that.

• Like (+1) 1

Manning- obviously a lock.

Charles Woodson- 8x All Pro, DPOY, Super Bowl Champ- a lock

Alan Faneca- 8x All Pro, Super Bowl Champ. gets in eventually

Jared Allen- 12th all-time in sacks, 4x All Pro. I think he gets in, but could wait several years.

Calvin Johnson- retired at 30, numbers good enough to eventually get in, but not first year.

Sam Mills- 3x All Pro, 3x All USFL, 2 USFL Championships. It's the "Pro Football" HOF, so USFL should count.  Among the best tacklers of the modern era, I'd love to see him get in.

5 hours ago, mjt328 said:

I'm a believer the HOF should only be for the BEST of the BEST.

Peyton Manning - Absolutely

Calvin Johnson - Definitely

Charles Woodson - Probably

Torry Holt - Possibly

Reggie Wayne - Possibly

Brian Waters - Possibly

Zach Thomas - Possibly

Patrick Willis - Possibly

The other guys don't really stand out to me.

Bennett was a vital piece to our Super Bowl teams, and certainly among the best linebackers in team history.

But I definitely don't think he's Hall of Fame worthy.  Same with guys like Darryl Talley and Kent Hull.

The argument is certainly better for Steve Tasker.  

There probably wasn't a better special teams player in the history of the NFL.

Patrick Willis is absolutely a member of the best of the best.  8 years played would be the only ding.   I don’t think there were really any inside LBers that were better than him, in the history of football. Singletary and Lewis maybe, but I might prefer Willis to both of them based on his play.  Seemed like Singletary and Lewis were better leaders, but Willis’ play was bettered by none imo

3 hours ago, TBBills said:

He’s not average 

Edited by NewEra

While I don't think Spikes warrants HOF, I'll be damned if I still don't cherish that signing. I remember Spikes commenting about leaving the field at Rich Stadium after a game as a Bengal, and fans were yelling at him that they wanted the Bills to sign him, and he was so impressed that the fans saw a valuable player and not an opposing team guy they would throw things at.

Or something like that.

It was also the first time I saw a player show that they knew they had a season-ending injury when the injury happens. I remember him sitting on the field, slamming his helmet on the turf. Thought about him the other night when I saw the Steelers Zach Banner on the sideline after his knee injury. He knew he was done for the season. Just sucks.

Anyway...Tasker should be in...so we can stop talking about what an awful announcer he is.

• Like (+1) 2

there are the "hall of very good" or "great for a season or two" that get in.

I sort of wish the 10-20% best had a separate wing that was reserved for legends. My personal opinion is all of the major sports Halls alls are watered down with too many "very good/great" players.

I personally only want to put in Manning, C Woodson, and Megatron.

The other guys all have caveats or justifications to consider. I could see arguments for the McNair (small college, MVP, tragic death), Boseli (probably a top 7 tackle of all-time as far as talent), Willis  (supremely dominant but left early),  Faneca (solid guard and did a lot for players union), Lynch (Super Bowl winner, good interview, and successful coach thus far). Seymour (he was a Patriot), and (Holt/Wayne because they out up gaudy numbers in their time and kinda sucks if they don't join Bruce and Harrison).

Give me the only 3 surefire guys!