HoF List Announced

GG

Lots of Bills LBs nominated.

And lots of very good players nominated but only a very few that I think are deserving of the Hall.

I've always been torn about Tasker.  He was great at special teams but that's not a lot of reps per game.  If he wasn't a Bill, I'd say no.  

• Like (+1) 2

I just laugh at some of the names on here: Drew Bledsoe, Jeff Garcia, Dave Krieg, Ronde Barber, Seth Joyner, Ricky Watters, Tiki Barber, Roddy White, Wes Welker, Jared Allen, Warrick Dunn?

These are potential Hall of Famers?

My cut down list.....

First Time Eligible:

QB: Peyton Manning

WR: Calvin Johnson

DB: Charles Woodson

Additional Nominees.....

QB: Steve McNair

RB: Shaun Alexander, Mike Alstott, Eddie George, Jamal Lewis, Fred Taylor

WR: Henry Ellard, Torry Holt, Reggie Wayne

TE: Ben Coates, Brent Jones, Jeremy Shockey

OL: Tony Boselli, Lomas Brown, Alen Faneca, Kent Hull, Richmond Webb

DL: John Abraham, Richard Seymour, Bryant Young

LB: Sam Mills, Patrick Willis

DB: Eric Allen, LeRoy Butler, John Lynch, Darren Woodson

P/K: Gary Anderson, Jason Hanson, Reggie Roby

ST: Mel Gray, Steve Tasker

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Lots of Bills LBs nominated.

And lots of very good players nominated but only a very few that I think are deserving of the Hall.

I've always been surprised how little consideration Cornelius Bennett gets. I'd wonder if it's maybe because of his incident. I'm not saying he should be in the HoF, but many of his numbers are better than other LBs already in, he was a dominant force for at least a five year period, yet he's never been a finalist and rarely seems to get mentioned. 

I'm a believer the HOF should only be for the BEST of the BEST.

Peyton Manning - Absolutely

Calvin Johnson - Definitely

Charles Woodson - Probably

Torry Holt - Possibly

Reggie Wayne - Possibly

Brian Waters - Possibly

Zach Thomas - Possibly

Patrick Willis - Possibly

The other guys don't really stand out to me.

7 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

I've always been surprised how little consideration Cornelius Bennett gets. I'd wonder if it's maybe because of his incident. I'm not saying he should be in the HoF, but many of his numbers are better than other LBs already in, he was a dominant force for at least a five year period, yet he's never been a finalist and rarely seems to get mentioned. 

Bennett was a vital piece to our Super Bowl teams, and certainly among the best linebackers in team history.

But I definitely don't think he's Hall of Fame worthy.  Same with guys like Darryl Talley and Kent Hull.

The argument is certainly better for Steve Tasker.  

There probably wasn't a better special teams player in the history of the NFL.

15 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Doesn't he move into some kind of "seniors" level eligibility?

Good question...I’m not sure when that happens. 

16 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

What are the rules on that?  Seems like guys who have no chance are endlessly nominated (not specifically Tasker).

I really don’t know. After last year, the Hall kind of became a farce with all the guys they put in (in my opinion). Watered it down quite a bit. 

4 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Bennett was a vital piece to our Super Bowl teams, and certainly among the best linebackers in team history.

I'm not sure that he was HoF-worthy either, just that the fact that he does not get any consideration seems weird to me, but what is your argument against him? This comment seems to diminish him to just being a solid Bills player when he was arguably one of the best linebackers in football for a 5-6 year stretch -- all-pro three times, pro bowl five (but yes, there are many players who have those counts who aren't close to HoF material). He's fourth all time in fumble recoveries. He was a two-time UPI AFC DPOY. Is that HoF? Borderline, probably, and that may be generous. However, to dismiss him as simply a Bills star and not one of the top linebackers in the league in his era seems a bit of an overcorrection. 

13 minutes ago, MJS said:

Wow, Bledsoe is on the list? In what universe is he a hall of fame candidate?

#16 passing yards all time.  #22 passing TDs.

I don't think "HOF" either, but it's not as crazy as you think.  Went to a Super Bowl.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, eball said:

#16 passing yards all time.  #22 passing TDs.

I don't think "HOF" either, but it's not as crazy as you think.  Went to a Super Bowl.

Dan Fouts had about the same numbers with an extra season--except far more INTs--and only 6 of 15 seasons with a winning record.  Yet he got in on first vote.