50 Percent of All False Convictions Involved Misconduct

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Would rather have the DA beholden to the populace rather than the Governor or the County Executive.  (Even with your concern about conviction rate.)

I would normally agree, but since DAs routinely tout their conviction rates as qualification for reelection, the incentive to generate more convictions is enough to cause some prosecutors (re the Morton case I cited above) to withhold evidence that would prevent obtaining a conviction. I personally would rather a few guilty go free than see even one innocent incarcerated. 

1 hour ago, keepthefaith said:

On the other side of things are the crimes that are never punished due to law enforcement policies or police/prosecutors doing favors for some.  In Chicago you can literally shoplift, break into parked cars, steal cars, steal purses and do other non-violent crimes and the police won't even pursue it even if you're caught on camera. 

I imagine part of the reason for that is the sheer volume of crime that Chicago police deal with every day. In Travis County, the police will most definitely come after you for most of the crimes you listed, whether it's caught on camera or not.  

1 hour ago, Azalin said:

I imagine part of the reason for that is the sheer volume of crime that Chicago police deal with every day. In Travis County, the police will most definitely come after you for most of the crimes you listed, whether it's caught on camera or not.  

Yes, the city openly admits that crimes such as mentioned won't likely be pursued due to caseloads so they have to prioritize.  Thieves take advantage of the rules of course.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Somewhat related but misconduct by police and/or prosecutors make a good case for abolishing the death penalty.  I think it's one in nine who are executed are eventually exonerated.

So if we conservatively assume that half of the exonerations are also incorrect that means that close to 95% of the death penalty cases are legitimate. 

• Like (+1) 1