A rare touch pass by Allen

finn

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I thought his most impressive touch pass was on a screen while rolling right to Singletary.  It was a basketball shot trajectory, right over some defenders and soft enough Singletary could one hand it in stride.  

additional note on Diggs getting hit, Lofton said Brown eased up on his route and started working back to the ball, bringing his DB Along which have the hit. Lofton said had brown taken a few more steps on his route, Diggs wouldn’t have gotten lit up like that. For whatever that’s worth 

That hit on Diggs was 100% on smoke cutting his route short allowing his db to light up Stefon. Josh is improving slowly on his touch passes. He now has to work on his accuracy rolling to his left. Hopefully his first deep throw this season has some trajectory on it.

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, finn said:

Did anyone else notice the uncharacteristic pass Allen through t Diggs halfway through the fourth quarter, the one where Diggs took a big hit? Aside from a few incomplete fades into the end zone last year, I can't recall Allen actually lofting a pass instead of rifling it as hard as he can. All last year fans were begging him to put some air under the ball as you see all the great quarterbacks do. Is he finally catching on? That was a beautiful pass, very Mahomes-like. May it continue!

No longer uncharacteristic - he threw a bunch last year.  He did struggle in year 1, but by last year he hit a bunch of touch passes - to the point that he lost his touch on deep passes because he worked so hard on the touch type passes.

This was old news and it was a great pass to Diggs.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

That hit on Diggs was 100% on smoke cutting his route short allowing his db to light up Stefon. Josh is improving slowly on his touch passes. He now has to work on his accuracy rolling to his left. Hopefully his first deep throw this season has some trajectory on it.

i think we will see dome deep shots against the Dolphins in 1 v 1 matchups.  

I think he did have issues in college and as a rookie with the short passing game. Last two years he has shown that he really can make tough, accurate touch passes not just throw lasers. So, unlike Losman, at least we know that he can do it. Thats pretty much whenever his mechanics are good. When he doesn't set his feet right, especially when on the run, theres no telling where that ball is going.

1 hour ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Back shoulder and up high where only Knox could make a play.  Dawson seems pretty good on highly contested throws.  It's the ones where he was in the clear but did not know where the nearest defenders were that made a drop more likely.

Was about to say this was actually my favorite touch pass - due to location, timing, and player selection. Having a TE that teams have to focus on will only open the passing game up more. Even if his routes are just distractions, he's now firmly a weapon - especially if we're going to run exotic plays (by our standards) like TE screens, or direct snap TE end arounds (see the game last year where we did it).

The Diggs pass on the other hand - while a touch pass - gave me two different thoughts.....

1) Is... Is that what it's like to see a simple cross pattern connect and go for some more yards? I've seen other teams do it, but never though it would happen in B-Lo

2) Good Lord.... Diggs got so much separation - which was something noticeable all game.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yep. That was pretty much a loft or lob touch pass as well. Terrific throw and catch. Knox should be huge this year with all the attention that will be paid to Diggs, Smoke, Beasley.

This.  He looked super explosive on that screen.  I was praying some puny jet db would come out of nowhere and get planted.  It’s crazy how much better Diggs makes this entire team.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Josh should be watching Russell Wilson downfield throws on loop.  They have such a nice trajectory and drop down in the bucket.  

After one game Josh’s accuracy looks better but it remains to be seen on those 30+yd passes.

Not being funny (though you may laugh), but the other guy with nice trajectory is Matt Barkley. He makes up in arm strength with nice touch and loft on his deeper throws.