A rare touch pass by Allen

finn

Did anyone else notice the uncharacteristic pass Allen through t Diggs halfway through the fourth quarter, the one where Diggs took a big hit? Aside from a few incomplete fades into the end zone last year, I can't recall Allen actually lofting a pass instead of rifling it as hard as he can. All last year fans were begging him to put some air under the ball as you see all the great quarterbacks do. Is he finally catching on? That was a beautiful pass, very Mahomes-like. May it continue!

It was a great pass, very much one that he has struggled with in the past. 

He hit one to Duke in the Tenessee game that looked very similar to this - 20+ yards, crossing pattern, dropped it over the outside shoulder. 

The narrative that Josh can't make every throw is just lazy. Anyone who has watched him these three years can tell you that he can make every single throw and, it's a problem of consistency. 

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 4

He had a wonderful throw to Knox last year against NE that almost went for a TD.

I also don’t get why you would call it Mahomes-like as if putting air under a deep pass was something exclusive to Mahomes. 

Edited by Bangarang

10 minutes ago, finn said:

Did anyone else notice the uncharacteristic pass Allen through t Diggs halfway through the fourth quarter, the one where Diggs took a big hit? Aside from a few incomplete fades into the end zone last year, I can't recall Allen actually lofting a pass instead of rifling it as hard as he can. All last year fans were begging him to put some air under the ball as you see all the great quarterbacks do. Is he finally catching on? That was a beautiful pass, very Mahomes-like. May it continue!

I thought his most impressive touch pass was on a screen while rolling right to Singletary.  It was a basketball shot trajectory, right over some defenders and soft enough Singletary could one hand it in stride.  

additional note on Diggs getting hit, Lofton said Brown eased up on his route and started working back to the ball, bringing his DB Along which have the hit. Lofton said had brown taken a few more steps on his route, Diggs wouldn’t have gotten lit up like that. For whatever that’s worth 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I thought his most impressive touch pass was on a screen while rolling right to Singletary.  It was a basketball shot trajectory, right over some defenders and soft enough Singletary could one hand it in stride.  

additional note on Diggs getting hit, Lofton said Brown eased up on his route and started working back to the ball, bringing his DB Along which have the hit. Lofton said had brown taken a few more steps on his route, Diggs wouldn’t have gotten lit up like that. For whatever that’s worth 

It sure looked that way. As Diggs caught the ball Brown was standing a few yards down the sideline from that spot. Play design error or Browns error but it didn’t make sense.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Allen's touch on screen passes impressed me as well.  He has missed a number of swing passes and screens in his first two years.  I think the game is slowing down for him, he's handling his excitement, and he is more confident in taking some speed off the ball now.  Maybe not dealing with an electric crowd is helping him settle into games?

• Like (+1) 4

This can't be true.

I was told by Twitter he was "funny bad" on Sunday.

He overthrew Brown in the end zone, underthrew Beasley in the slot, and fumbled twice.

As far as I know, those were the only plays in which Joshua Allen participated.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

How about the pass to Singletary in the 3rd or 4th quarter? If Allen lofts it a yard further it's a TD.

Does anyone have a replay of that play? I've been looking for it for a couple days now..

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

He lofts passes all the time. He had another one Sunday toward the end zone to Singletary that was broken up by a Jet on a nice play. The lob was about a yard short imo and a perfect pass MAY have been a TD. But it was a clear loft. 

Didn't see this! This is why I should read a thread before posting

Edited by 716er

32 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Didn't he drop a nice one to Knox?

Back shoulder and up high where only Knox could make a play.  Dawson seems pretty good on highly contested throws.  It's the ones where he was in the clear but did not know where the nearest defenders were that made a drop more likely.

41 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Allen's touch on screen passes impressed me as well.  He has missed a number of swing passes and screens in his first two years.  I think the game is slowing down for him, he's handling his excitement, and he is more confident in taking some speed off the ball now.  Maybe not dealing with an electric crowd is helping him settle into games?

I've also thought that Josh perhaps is too hyped up at the start.  It looked Sunday as though some of those read options were designed to allow him to take some hits early and get into the flow.

Now we just need to figure out what to do to get him a little more pumped after halftime.  His 3rd quarters have been atrocious.

Just now, eball said:

I've also thought that Josh perhaps is too hyped up at the start.  It looked Sunday as though some of those read options were designed to allow him to take some hits early and get into the flow.

Now we just need to figure out what to do to get him a little more pumped after halftime.  His 3rd quarters have been atrocious.

He has said many times he doesn't settle into a game until he takes his first hit.  I agree on the intent of the early called runs.

1 hour ago, finn said:

Nice Twitter follow Stathi Papadopoulos provided this:

Duke and Stephon Running the Same Route

Duke injured his shoulder and Stephon nearly got wrecked.  

• Like (+1) 1