Kyler Murray ran the ball 13 times, only got hit once

Penfield45

42 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Josh loves the hero ball stuff.  He can’t help it, it’s in his DNA.  He probably knows it’s stupid to absorb so many hits running but he can’t resist.  Even while showing improved accuracy, he still has to run a bit.  Last year when he stopped for a few games his stats sucked 

So do many QB's. They need to learn to harness it and use it wisely vs. all the time. 

14 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

To be fair, we’re comparing a motorcycle to an SUV here. Murray is smaller and faster. 
Let’s be honest, the 6 foot 5 quarterback isn’t exactly supposed to be a scrambler. We can all agree the hits need to be limited but if you’re expecting he’ll turn into a Murray or Wilson or even Lamar that’s just not gonna happen. 

I think you’re conflating running style and avoiding contact. Just because Josh doesn’t run like Kyler, Lamar, etc. doesn’t mean he needs to be taking a shoulder from a LB or DB every time he stops. 

It’s not wild to suggest that Josh should be sliding or stepping out of bounds on 80% of his runs without somebody jumping in and saying “WeLl He IsNt KyLeR mUrRaY aNd He NeVeR WiLl bE”

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Mango said:

I think you’re conflating running style and avoiding contact. Just because Josh doesn’t run like Kyler, Lamar, etc. doesn’t mean he needs to be taking a shoulder from a LB or DB every time he stops. 

It’s not wild to suggest that Josh should be sliding or stepping out of bounds on 80% of his runs without somebody jumping in and saying “WeLl He IsNt KyLeR mUrRaY aNd He NeVeR WiLl bE”

He doesn’t have the same athleticism. He can’t make as fast a move to get to that sideline or buy the time to slide like they do. Josh can make moves in the back field to avoid sacks and things like that, but once he hits the open field he doesn’t have the jets like those other guys. Murray can break contain and make one move and have a free untouched ten yard run to the sideline, Josh can’t make it there as fast so he ends up taking a hit trying to. I’m not saying he should be taking any of the hits, but when compared to the top running quarterbacks he’s nowhere near as athletic or fast as them in the open field and that is where he leaves himself open to take hits. We all agree he should develop some techniques to lessen the wear and tear on his body and have a lower percentage of injury risk. 

• Like (+1) 1

w/o seeing highlights

Some QBs run to escape a collapsing pocket or avoiding a sack 

this is when you see them slide.  

Josh isn’t running from blown plays (on Sunday)

so he’s not going to slide if it’s a designed run. 

while not getting tackled is great I believe we have2 different scenarios  

1 hour ago, Mango said:

I do not want him routinely sliding at all.  Typically the defensive guys that are running full bore at the QB end up hitting the sliding QB in the head.  Murray took his 2 biggest hits to his head and shoulders on plays he slide.  A guy like Josh (see Alex Smith and Joe Flacco slides) opens himself up to massive hits to the head when the try to slide. 

The bigger mobile QBs tend not to get down as fast and the defensive players are taking a shot anyway.  I don’t mind getting out of bounds, but even then Josh has taken a few big shots because he just doesn’t make it there fast enough and gets turned around and shoved down.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

point is, if Daboll is going to continue running Allen, the kid needs to learn how to not take hits. It is going to catch up to him, this habit of lowering his shoulder against 270lb LB's needs to be wiped from his brain. 

if Allen learns how to slide/go to ground more the fumble problems go away on their own. 

I think this is all overblown. How many QBs can you recall who got seriously hurt because of contact they sustained acting like a running back? I can't think of any outside of ACLs and similar, but I can think of a whole host of situations where QBs were injured because they slid, held the ball too long in the pocket, took bad sacks, etc.

20 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

I do not want him routinely sliding at all.  Typically the defensive guys that are running full bore at the QB end up hitting the sliding QB in the head.  Murray took his 2 biggest hits to his head and shoulders on plays he slide.  A guy like Josh (see Alex Smith and Joe Flacco slides) opens himself up to massive hits to the head when the try to slide. 

The bigger mobile QBs tend not to get down as fast and the defensive players are taking a shot anyway.  I don’t mind getting out of bounds, but even then Josh has taken a few big shots because he just doesn’t make it there fast enough and gets turned around and shoved down.

I agree, 

Sliding puts a player with good body control like Allen into a vulnerable position IMO.

Myself personally, Josh Allen may develop into one of the best passing QB's in the league with the strongest arm the NFL has ever seen. The arm and high intelligence is what makes Allen special. Not his legs. Hits on his throwing shoulder/arm, concussions put both at risk. Allens dual threat capabilities should be preserved for special occasions IMO. Game winning drives. Playoffs, the Superbowl. Fly under the radar. In big games you unleash the tiger.

Edited by Figster