Kyler Murray ran the ball 13 times, only got hit once

Penfield45

4 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Curious to see what the responses will be. One is 6'3" 230lbs and the other is 5'3" 130lbs🤣 One runs like a cheetah and the other runs like, well a Buffalo.

The cheetah is also smart enough not to go head first into a safety.

You definitely can’t compare Allen running to Wilson or Murray... You can’t compare him to Jackson either, but one thing Jackson does that I think Allen could do is the “WR self tackle” where you sense the defender and just dive down into open grass or get out of bounds.  

That being said, Allen only took two hits that i didn’t love Sunday, and one of them was in the pocket... (the penalty where a Jet defender dove at his lower leg)

I don't understand why everyone is scared of Josh running. You are historically more at risk to injury as a QB in the pocket.

1) in the pocket you get hit blindsided

2) you have a defender running full speed at you while you are standing often not bracing yourself

3) your foot is planted making ligament damage more common.

When you are running you generally see whats coming, he may get hit in the head for a concussion or maybe some bruised ribs or something, but in general running QBs don't get injured more than qbs that stay in the pocket.

Edited by Mrbojanglezs
  • Like (+1) 1

Gotta say I didn’t believe in that little guy but he’s a baller.  His baseball background helps with this too.

also, while Allen might not get destroyed in hits all the time, they add up.  It’s what happened to Cam and Big Ben where gradually their bodies started breaking down.  It’s a tough situation because running is what makes Allen so dangerous but it also could have long term effects.

26 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

I don't understand why everyone is scared of Josh running. You are historically more at risk to injury as a QB in the pocket.

2) you have a defender running full speed at you while you are standing often not bracing yourself

When you are running you generally see whats coming, he may get hit in the head for a concussion or maybe some bruised ribs or something, but in general running QBs don't get injured more than qbs that stay in the pocket.

I’ve hear this but I question it, especially now.  QBs used to get their heads ripped off but it’s such a different league now.  If you go low or high on a qb, it’s a personal foul so defenders are adjusting and QBs aren’t going to take the monster hits like Kelly did in the pocket.  It’s such a different league.  It’s why qbs can play into their 40s because of the lack of contact. 

6 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

point is, if Daboll is going to continue running Allen, the kid needs to learn how to not take hits. It is going to catch up to him, this habit of lowering his shoulder against 270lb LB's needs to be wiped from his brain. 

if Allen learns how to slide/go to ground more the fumble problems go away on their own. 

I went back and looked at the film from the AZ game and I think there is a fair amount of bs in that tweet. There is a big difference between scrambling and a called run, much easier to slide or get out of bounds on a scramble. Below is a list of all the plays where Murray ran the ball (not counting sacks as runs). He only had two called runs and was hit on one of those though not much of a hit. He got hit, hard, on several of his slides resulting in penalties. Two of the "runs" were kneels at the end of the game. I only saw maybe one play where Murray dove or slid where I think Allen would have taken on the defender. That was a called run on AZ's own 6 yard line that was so poorly executed, I'm not sure it wasn't a broken play. Bottom line, on 10 "runs", Murray knelt or was hit 6 times, leaving only 4 where you could give him some credit for avoiding contact. 

image.thumb.png.85f290991025385e4464cc59c127885b.png

6 hours ago, NickelCity said:

He really did get some absurd phantom calls. He's a legit QB and a budding star, but those calls drove me nuts.

They were tough calls.  He’s going to continue to get them though.  

meanwhile, our QB continues to get smacked with late hits in the pocket after he throws.  At least he’s getting some calls, but the pockets seems like a dangerous place for JA

7 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

To be fair, we’re comparing a motorcycle to an SUV here. Murray is smaller and faster. 
Let’s be honest, the 6 foot 5 quarterback isn’t exactly supposed to be a scrambler. We can all agree the hits need to be limited but if you’re expecting he’ll turn into a Murray or Wilson or even Lamar that’s just not gonna happen. 

why not? he can't learn?? I'm so confused by your response. He is 6'5" and can scramble with the best of them... so, why is he very agile but then not agile? I don't really get what you're trying to say. 

7 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

To be fair, we’re comparing a motorcycle to an SUV here. Murray is smaller and faster. 
Let’s be honest, the 6 foot 5 quarterback isn’t exactly supposed to be a scrambler. We can all agree the hits need to be limited but if you’re expecting he’ll turn into a Murray or Wilson or even Lamar that’s just not gonna happen. 

And has a ton of training on sliding since he was also a baseball player, and drafted by MLB.

Big, gangly guys like Josh who try to slide end up jamming their knee in the turf and getting injured.

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

He went to the Russell Wilson school of avoiding hits. 

So Baseball Camp? :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

Just look at the size of KM he’s tiny, no wonder he tries so hard to not get hit....  all humor aside, Josh could certainly stand to slide/get out of bounds more often... he’s a big guy but these hits do take there toll over the long haul. 

Go Bills!!!

34 minutes ago, kenny3000 said:

why not? he can't learn?? I'm so confused by your response. He is 6'5" and can scramble with the best of them... so, why is he very agile but then not agile? I don't really get what you're trying to say. 

Josh is never going to be as fast or shifty as those other guys. He’s not built to make people miss down field. He’s a bigger target. There’s tons of reasons why he’s never going to be the same kind of scrambler as Murray or Wilson or Lamar. And those reasons are why he’ll never avoid hits the same as them. Those are not learned talents those are god given my friend. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

I’ve never understood this logic.  You may be as likely to get hurt from being hit in the pocket as you are being hit scrambling.  So what?  This isn’t an either/or proposition. Scrambling QBs aren’t exempt from getting hit in the pocket.  They still take those hits, and then they take hits outside the pocket.