Why Your Team Sucks 2020: Buffalo Bills

KingBoots8

18 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

So how are products or services suppose to acquire new customers? 

In the digital space, not by banner ads, cookies, pop ups and autoplay videos.

These all degrade the user experience, and the conversion rates are pitiful. We often see <0.01% leads/site visitors at my company, and those are just leads!

Say what you want about Defector, or any of these sites, but $80-$100 a year really isn't much to get content you value without being pummeled by spam.

Sales + business development, doing the dirty work, always have and always will be the revenue generators.

Edited by TheElectricCompany

12 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

In the digital space, not by banner ads, cookies, pop ups and autoplay videos.

These all degrade the user experience, and the conversion rates are pitiful. We often see <0.01% leads/site visitors at my company, and those are just leads!

Say what you want about Defector, or any of these sites, but $80-$100 a year really isn't much to get content you value.

Sales + business development, doing the dirty work, always have and always will be the revenue generators.

Fair enough, there is a lot of wasted ad spend but a lot of it is accurately targeted. I work sales/biz dev in the digital marketing industry,  so I do know all the pros & cons and many ads aren’t aimed at efficiency and optimization. I just billieve the fall of Deadspin had little to do with the ads on their site and more to do with the content. If valuable users regularly visited the site, the ad space would be much more expensive and the junk ads wouldn't afford to bombard the sites users

6 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Fair enough, there is a lot of wasted ad spend but a lot of it is accurately targeted. I work sales/biz dev in the digital marketing industry,  so I do know all the pros & cons and many ads aren’t aimed at efficiency and optimization. I just billieve the fall of Deadspin had little to do with the ads on their site and more to do with the content. If valuable users regularly visited the site, the ad space would be much more expensive and the junk ads wouldn't afford to bombard the sites users

The content was certainly different and best read occasionally. They had a few gems over the years (ex. SI becoming a content mill, Nathan Peterman).

1 hour ago, TheElectricCompany said:

The content was certainly different and best read occasionally. They had a few gems over the years (ex. SI becoming a content mill, Nathan Peterman).

At the height of it, it was good and relevant, they were the ones that broke the Manti Te'o story.  They just went too far politically & calling everyone racist, that even people that agreed with their takes thought it was overkill. That and Hulk Hogan suited the pants off of Gawker. 

Edited by uticaclub
  • Thank you (+1) 1