Edit: NFL removes Bass's kick from All-22 video

Da webster guy

What I think is humorous is how some posters have to recharacterize a simple thread question to the level of rabid conspiracy and blind fandom.

The call did not really effect the net result of the game, but it is a good question to ask why a certain scoring play is not reviewable - simply because a kicker has the leg to kick the ball higher than the goal posts....particularly if an important game was on the line.

I am not sure if there are a lot of controversial field goals, but suspect there would have to be a seismic gaffe before the NFL would change the current system and put in some kind of field goal review.

Allowing a challenge process would be a good compromise and would require the kind of camera angles and quick access to them to make the challenge worth while.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I'm just glad we can have this conversation after a win rather than a 3 point loss. Looks to me like the refs screwed up on this one, but it's still concerning that every one of Bass's kicks drifted right. He almost shanked the 20 yarder. I'm less interested in the ref making a bad call by an inch than I am by Bass having poor kick accuracy. If you don't think you'll be nervous the next time he has to kick a field goal you're lying to yourself.

So much for all those no step trick kicks. 

3 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Actually i can deny it and if we lost be 3 points I wouldn't debate it ad nauseam as we are here with this otherwise meaningless points, i would have moved on, its a judgement call, sometimes they go against you, deal with it. 

Only "precedent" it could possibly set is if the official made a demonstrably wrong call which, imo, i stil havent seen.  

And I can deny that you are a Bills fan... Maybe you should care or what's the point of telling people who do care that they should sack up if you're not a troll???:w00t:

• Like (+1) 1

Well, if you want a quasi-scientific analysis, the kick was not good.  

If you watch the replay looking that's posted in this thread, looking straight on from behind the kicker, the replay that is about 7 seconds long, you can pause it and then scroll back and forth to follow the flight of the ball.  It hits the net and then drops straight down.   It's hard to see, but it looks like it hits the net right about the 4 second mark in the video.   

Okay.  A field goal kick travels about 50-55 mph when it leaves the foot.   It slows down as it travels because of air resistance, but it slowed down less than usual on that kick, because the wind was blowing pretty hard.   Say it was going 45 mph when it passed the back end of the end zone.  That's 66 feet per second, about 20 yards per second.  The distance between the back end of the endzone to the edge of the stands, where the net is, is only about 15 yards.  So if you scroll the replay back from 4 seconds to 3 seconds you can see where the ball is at about the time it crossed the end line.  It's easily outside the post.   If you scroll back to 2 seconds, you'll see where the ball was about when it crossed the goal line - right in line with the right upright.

That analysis isn't very accurate, but if you do it you'll see that it's pretty unlikely that the kick was inside the post. 

• Like (+1) 2

@RoyBatty is alive thinks it doesn't matter and that you should stop talking about it and sack up... You can't prove it even with video evidence apparently!!!🤡

3 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

If you watch the replay looking that's posted in this thread, looking straight on from behind the kicker, the replay that is about 7 seconds long, you can pause it and then scroll back and forth to follow the flight of the ball.  It hits the net and then drops straight down.   It's hard to see, but it looks like it hits the net right about the 4 second mark in the video.   

Okay.  A field goal kick travels about 50-55 mph when it leaves the foot.   It slows down as it travels because of air resistance, but it slowed down less than usual on that kick, because the wind was blowing pretty hard.   Say it was going 45 mph when it passed the back end of the end zone.  That's 66 feet per second, about 20 yards per second.  The distance between the back end of the endzone to the edge of the stands, where the net is, is only about 15 yards.  So if you scroll the replay back from 4 seconds to 3 seconds you can see where the ball is at about the time it crossed the end line.  It's easily outside the post.   If you scroll back to 2 seconds, you'll see where the ball was about when it crossed the goal line - right in line with the right upright.

That analysis isn't very accurate, but if you do it you'll see that it's pretty unlikely that the kick was inside the post. 

Shaws' been a closeted Brady fan this whole time!!!!:cry:

22 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

@RoyBatty is alive thinks it doesn't matter and that you should stop talking about it and sack up... You can't prove it even with video evidence apparently!!!🤡

Actually you don't need anything other than the NFL doctoring the All-22 footage.  If Bass had truly missed, the footage would have been left alone because it would have shown that it was the correct call and there would be nothing more to do or say. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

nahhh

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

Actually you don't need anything other than the NFL doctoring the All-22 footage.  If Bass had truly missed, the footage would have been left alone because it would have shown that it was the correct call and there would be nothing more to do or say. 

Well regardless we aren't allowed to say anything and should sack up, we are whiny @$$ fans

I'm ready to drop this case. No harm, no foul. But I do think the NFL rules committee needs to address field goal replay. It's a scoring play. All scoring plays must have a mechanism to verify. Not just for the teams but for bettors too. Especially now that legal sports betting is exploding.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Well regardless we aren't allowed to say anything and should sack up, we are whiny @$$ fans

F that.

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I'm ready to drop this case. No harm, no foul. But I do think the NFL rules committee needs to address field goal replay. It's a scoring play. All scoring plays must have a mechanism to verify. Not just for the teams but for bettors too. Especially now that legal sports betting is exploding.

I agree.  It wouldn't surprise me to learn that they're doing/planning on doing something about it.

29 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

If the kick was wide, why delete the footage??? Why the two orders? They ordered the code red didn’t they??!?! I want the truth!!!!

It would be stupid of the NFL if they really did that. I mean they admit missed calls all the time and people move on. I think this was a coincidence.... this time.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Hmm ok disclaimer I've never been to the stadium but from this photo it looks like the net is a lot closer to the back of the endzone than 15 yards, considering the endzone is 10 yards deep:

New-Era-Field-Fans-resize.jpg

and from this shot of the net it appears to angle toward the field at the top, which in my estimation puts the top of the net (where the ball would have hit) way closer than 15 yards:

usatsi_11550445.jpg?width=3200&height=18

• Like (+1) 1