Edit: NFL removes Bass's kick from All-22 video

Da webster guy

I have seen this issue before with kickers with big legs when they have cleared the uprights by 10 feet, catch the mesh between the uprights, and it is called wide by an official under the goal posts. Not sure if they actually have a great angle depending on where they are standing....

It would not be that difficult to use cameras and replays to virtually extend the goal posts and get the call right.

Other than rattling our young kicker, not a lot of harm with that call in our game, but if it happened during a tight playoff or superbowl there would be a huge controversy.

14 minutes ago, QB Bills said:

Alright fine, point taken. Have the two goal posts angle to meet each other in the middle. A field goal now has to go through an isosceles triangle or it's no good. As an added bonus, kids get a free lesson in geometry. And the adults can laugh at Solomon Wilcotts trying to pronounce "isosceles".

Slow Clap GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Just now, WideNine said:

I have seen this issue before with kickers with big legs when they have cleared the uprights by 10 feet, catch the mesh between the uprights, and it is called wide by an official under the goal posts. Not sure if they actually have a great angle depending on where they are standing....

It would not be that difficult to use cameras and replays to virtually extend the goal posts and get the call right.

Other than rattling our young kicker, not a lot of harm with that call in our game, but if it happened during a tight playoff or superbowl there would be a huge controversy.

I haven't seen a FG call missed in the NFL until Sunday.  I think the NFL was laboring under the assumption that refs are infallible when deciding these, but that's obviously not the case anymore. 

And nothing new needs to be done.  The All-22 can capture the truth.  It just need to be used to review kicks and the footage not doctored.

• Like (+1) 1

CBS came back from the commercial and immediately showed the replay and suggested that the officials might have gotten it wrong.

I am amazed at the responses of some here who sarcastically question anyone who thinks  the refs might have gotten it wrong.

17 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Why so dismissive of discussion of a call that was WIDELY agreed upon to be incorrect? 

I'm dismissive of the thought process. 

1. OP asserts the call was wrong but can't prove it. 

2. Asserts the official has no clue and can't even admit it was a very close call. 

3. Because the call was wrong (which hasn't been established) immediate action is needed. 

4. Here are the actions needed.

Its a house built on sand but it has a lot of people eager to move in.  Congrats on the new house!  I'm busy the day of the housewarming party.

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

That makes ZERO SENSE.  Why would they USE THEIR TIME to remove it?  Literally wasting $ in order to remove a play because it’s a play that doesn’t matter?  Why not remove and replace the other 40 plays that don’t matter?  Who cares about the frank gore run where he gained 1 yard?  Why didn’t they replace it with another frank gore run? 

They took their time to remove it and replace it with another play......your answer doesnt make sense

Makes sense to me, unless you want to put on your tin foil conspiracy hat that the NFL went out of their way top remove the meaningless field goal kick that no one cares about except a handful of crazed Bills fans care about.  I dont know what they replaced it with but sorry, Frank Gore a future Hall of Famer is a lot more topical right now than our rookie field goal kicker. that missed a non-material kick.

6 minutes ago, GG said:

I'd love to, but somehow the NFL decided to scrub the kick from All-22.  Do you find that odd?

BTW, have you ever tried to get to an answer by triangulating different points?  Because if you do that to the slow motion replay, it surely looks like the kick was good.

Show me the triangulation you performed.

Just now, B-Man said:

CBS came back from the commercial and immediately showed the replay and suggested that the officials might have gotten it wrong.

I am amazed at the responses of some here who sarcastically question anyone who thinks  the refs might have gotten it wrong.

It was/is odd, isn't it? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Take it up with the OP whose entire supposition is that the call was wrong and clearly wrong at that.  This is the underlying premise for this thread and the call for immediate action.   That premise has widely been accepted by a number of participants.  

I don't think it is unreasonable for those calling for immediate action to first demonstrate there is a real problem with poor officiating on field goals.  

Field goals is just part of it. And I don't blame the officials at all. The game is designed for the officials to have to make too many split second judgement calls. Spotting the ball is the easiest thing to see. They get the spot a little bit wrong basically every single time, which is a huge deal because literally every inch is important.

And the other issue is that certain things aren't reviewable. Why? Why is a field goal reviewable until it reaches a certain height? That makes no sense. That is when you NEED to review it the most. And there are plenty examples of non-reviewable things that should be reviewable.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Jauronimo said:

Show me the triangulation you performed.

Time on the replay combined with the straight view of the kick and where and when it hits the netting.   It would be almost physically impossible for the kick to have been missed considering where and when it hit the netting. 

Very similar to the goal the Sabres were awarded a few years ago, despite the refs not seeing the puck.  There was no other possibility but for the puck to be lodged in the goalie equipment inside the goal line.

32 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Maybe they  decided that no one in the right mind, absent crazed Bills fans, would waste the time to  want to see a rookie miss a field goal where it had zero outcome of the game.  I would bet any money that a game winning kick at the end of the game would still be on the highlight reel.

Do you understand that the "all 22" is just the coaches film of every play?  It's not highlights, it's the tape.  It's literally every play from the two endzone views.

For some reason, the NFL removed this one play and replaced it with another kick.  

Edited by SWATeam
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Where was it so WIDELY agreed upon it was incorrect, absent here and by Bills fans.  Maybe he is dismissive because he can think objectively and is not blinded by his Bills fandom.  

The network feed, the majority of post-game analysis, pretty much everyone who has seen the play minus two curmudgeons, etc.

I'm certainly not running around screaming about this, but they got the call wrong. The kick was good. My vision isn't affected by my fandom. While I cannot PROVE it was good, that does not eliminate any validity of us discussing this issue, especially in light of the NFL very obviously covering up the evidence on the ALL-22. That's just blatant. 

I don't understand the contrarian thing going on here. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Makes sense to me, unless you want to put on your tin foil conspiracy hat that the NFL went out of their way top remove the meaningless field goal kick that no one cares about except a handful of crazed Bills fans care about.  I dont know what they replaced it with but sorry, Frank Gore a future Hall of Famer is a lot more topical right now than our rookie field goal kicker. that missed a non-material kick.

Ok.  Glad we got it straight.  You think they spent their money to edit a play out and replace it with a different play because only bills fans care.  

12 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

So you agree there is more evidence that kick was good then there is for head set hacking?  Also you think its easier to hack a system and cover it up than to just bribe some officials.....

Put some tech in.  will it be perfect? no.  will it make things better? yes.

No I never agreed to point 1.  And i never said or intimated it is easier to hack a system and cover it up than bribe an official.  Never said that at all so if you want to have an intellectually honest conversation great, if you want to make things up go at it yourself.

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Ok.  Glad we got it straight.  You think they spent their money to edit a play out and replace it with a different play because only bills fans care.  

No not at all, i gave you a plausible reason why, as so many crazed conspiracy theorists are asserting the kick was editted out.  I dont know if it was and really dont care either way. But for some to allege the NFL: is up to something nefarious is laughable

5 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

No I never agreed to point 1.  And i never said or intimated it is easier to hack a system and cover it up than bribe an official.  Never said that at all so if you want to have an intellectually honest conversation great, if you want to make things up go at it yourself.

Youre right you didnt agree to the first point.  but does that mean you do think there is more proof that the patriots hack headsets than this fg was good.  You did say if tech was put in the pats could hack.  so you now agree that its easier to bribe an official than to hack?  youre right im reading between the lines, but only cause you arent giving direct answers.  youre just insinuating things like the pats hack head sets. 

Edited by YattaOkasan

18 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Take it up with the OP whose entire supposition is that the call was wrong and clearly wrong at that.  This is the underlying premise for this thread and the call for immediate action.   That premise has widely been accepted by a number of participants.  

I don't think it is unreasonable for those calling for immediate action to first demonstrate there is a real problem with poor officiating on field goals.  

What if it’s simply a very minor problem with officiating on field goals? And what if that problem could be fixed for a few thousand dollars?