Edit: NFL removes Bass's kick from All-22 video

Da webster guy

Just now, RoyBatty is alive said:

Did they?  The NFL is so freaking stupid that they would doctor highlight reels of a missed field goal so Bills fanatics could cite that as the NFL essentially admitting Bass made the field goal.

There is one thing to be a fan, a homer,......another to be, imo, irrational.

Yeah they did when they doctored the footage.  It's not a hard concept to grasp.

5 minutes ago, Ecmic82 said:

There’s a ton of things In sport and life that require “immediate action” that aren’t “major” problems 😂.

and as a poster above observed, the OP wrote about the need for a tech fix in his post, so unsure why the premise of this thread DOESN’T at least partially involve using tech to solve a problem.

This issue hasn't even met the criteria of being a problem until someone can demonstrate any one of these calls was incorrect.  Until then the only known issue is fans whining about the outcome of judgement calls which is an immutable fact of sport. 

I agree that we could use tech to solve a non-issue in the sport and clarify 2 to 5 field goal calls per decade at the pro and collegiate levels. How much investment and effort that is worth is debatable.  

Edited by Jauronimo

Just now, Jauronimo said:

This issue hasn't even met the criteria of being a problem until someone can demonstrate any one of these calls was incorrect.  Until then the only known issue is fans whining about the outcome of judgement calls which is an immutable fact of sport. 

I agree that we could use tech to solve a non-issue in the sport and clarify 2 to 5 field goal calls per decade. How much investment and effort that is worth is debatable.  

Why so dismissive of discussion of a call that was WIDELY agreed upon to be incorrect? 

3 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Did they?  The NFL is so freaking stupid that they would doctor highlight reels of a missed field goal so Bills fanatics could cite that as the NFL essentially admitting Bass made the field goal.

There is one thing to be a fan, a homer,......another to be, imo, irrational.

What do you think the reason is?

It was a mistake? They didn’t mean to remove a play and edit another FG in there?

@Jauronimo an interesting sidenote- as it stands you are correct that we can't definitely say whether or not the ball was inside or outside the upright...but additionally: at present we can't even definitely say whether it was above or below the top of the upright either which is the circumstances that define whether the play is able to be reviewed! 

2 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Was gonna reply above, but this is just as good.  You said I dont know if the kick is good or not but then casually throw this out there.  At least with the kick I have some pretty strong evidence.  You have literally nothing to support them hacking the technology.  More than happy to not discuss conspiracies.   

Dead horse beating.  You  have no "proof" the field goal was good, zip zero, nada.  Not going to keep going over the same thing repeatedly.  

There is "anecdotal proof" of the pats hacking technology, reference the headset "malfunctions' and Flutie comment about hearing the coaches communicating when he picked up a QBs helmet after the time to communicate expired...i didnt make those up or dream them.  I never said they did for a fact so now I dont have some "onus" to prove otherwise.  

2 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

What?  Are FGs now having to go the the square?  No, also because it would make the bars very heavy and likely unstable.

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Definitely not easiest solution.

The easiest solution is adding a camera above the goal posts.

Alright fine, point taken. Have the two goal posts angle to meet each other in the middle. A field goal now has to go through an isosceles triangle or it's no good. As an added bonus, kids get a free lesson in geometry. And the adults can laugh at Solomon Wilcotts trying to pronounce "isosceles".

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

What do you think the reason is?

It was a mistake? They didn’t mean to remove a play and edit another FG in there?

Maybe they  decided that no one in the right mind, absent crazed Bills fans, would waste the time to  want to see a rookie miss a field goal where it had zero outcome of the game.  I would bet any money that a game winning kick at the end of the game would still be on the highlight reel.

11 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I agree that we could use tech to solve a non-issue in the sport and clarify 2 to 5 field goal calls per decade at the pro and collegiate levels. How much investment and effort that is worth is debatable.  

Here’s the issue with setting the bar at “until someone can prove one of the calls is incorrect”. It’s literally an unobtainable requirement meant to promote the status quo, not find the most agreeable solution.

could the NFL afford a few rigid springs and carbon rods to fix the problem? I think so 😂

Edited by Ecmic82
  • Like (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

You want the NFL or football go go "all technology", good for you, I dont.  I have already cited the  fiasco the NFL has made about what a catch is.  And what happens if technology malfunctions and gets the call wrong?   Yeah good luck trying to solve that. 

My money is the Pats will learn a creative way to trick the fool proof technology. give them time and study.  

Football is a game of judgement officiated and run by people, seeking perfections if not attainable IMO. Would i like perfection, sure if the cost/time/hassle are not excessive.

The fiasco of what a catch is still came down to a human making a judgement call. Technology had nothing to do with that. They still use replay, but have simplified the rules, which makes it easier to make those judgement calls.

It's pretty silly to think that technology couldn't enhance the game. I never said you take humanity out of the game. You use technology to make certain aspects easier and more simple, thus allowing the officials to focus on more important things.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Dead horse beating.  You  have no "proof" the field goal was good, zip zero, nada.  Not going to keep going over the same thing repeatedly.  

There is "anecdotal proof" of the pats hacking technology, reference the headset "malfunctions' and Flutie comment about hearing the coaches communicating when he picked up a QBs helmet after the time to communicate expired...i didnt make those up or dream them.  I never said they did for a fact so now I dont have some "onus" to prove otherwise.  

HAHAHA that is not proof of hacking.  Thats stuff.  I can make conspiracies up to.  Bills had the Panthers Draft Board in 2018.  I know because there is "proof" that  we moved in front of them several times and took players they wanted.  The evidence the field goal is good is much stronger than evidence the Patriots are hacking head sets.  Sheesh.

33 minutes ago, NewEra said:

My buddy bet $200 on the Over 46.  It was +210.  It’s meaningless to some, sure.  It’s not meaningless to others.  When there is betting involved.....which there is....every single game......the league should make

more of an effort to get EVERY call correct.  There’s no reason not to except if they’re: A:  being cheap or B: they just don’t care and they’re lazy.  Neither are reasonable answers.  Considering the money that the NFL generates they should be able to figure this out.  

And since the league is buddying up to gambling and some of the owners even have stakes in gambling houses it makes getting this stuff correct all the more important.  The appearance of impropriety can be as damaging as actual impropriety.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

HAHAHA that is not proof of hacking.  Thats stuff.  I can make conspiracies up to.  Bills had the Panthers Draft Board in 2018.  I know because there is "proof" that  we moved in front of them several times and took players they wanted.  The evidence the field goal is good is much stronger than evidence the Patriots are hacking head sets.  Sheesh.

HAHAHA i didnt write it was "proof", i wrote "anecdotal proof".  If that concept it so obscure to you, educate yourself and look it up.

11 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Maybe they  decided that no one in the right mind, absent crazed Bills fans, would waste the time to  want to see a rookie miss a field goal where it had zero outcome of the game.  I would bet any money that a game winning kick at the end of the game would still be on the highlight reel.

That makes ZERO SENSE.  Why would they USE THEIR TIME to remove it?  Literally wasting $ in order to remove a play because it’s a play that doesn’t matter?  Why not remove and replace the other 40 plays that don’t matter?  Who cares about the frank gore run where he gained 1 yard?  Why didn’t they replace it with another frank gore run? 

They took their time to remove it and replace it with another play......your answer doesnt make sense

Edited by NewEra

5 minutes ago, Ecmic82 said:

Here’s the issue with setting the bar at “until someone can prove one of the calls is incorrect”. It’s literally an unobtainable requirement meant to promote the status quo, not find the most agreeable solution.

could the NFL afford a few rigid springs and carbon rods to fix the problem? I think so 😂

Take it up with the OP whose entire supposition is that the call was wrong and clearly wrong at that.  This is the underlying premise for this thread and the call for immediate action.   That premise has widely been accepted by a number of participants.  

I don't think it is unreasonable for those calling for immediate action to first demonstrate there is a real problem with poor officiating on field goals.  

Does anybody want to see a questionable call like that decide a Super Bowl for your team? Do you want to listen to the hullabaloo that would follow? I know I don’t! This isn’t that hard. Technology can make this a 100% positive call in some way. No excuse for not getting that done for next season. 

I don’t know if the kick was good or not. Fix it so we don’t even have to have this discussion. That protects everybody. Just get it right. 

Edited by Augie

46 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Prove it was good, mmmkay.

Sure, please share it.

I'd love to, but somehow the NFL decided to scrub the kick from All-22.  Do you find that odd?

BTW, have you ever tried to get to an answer by triangulating different points?  Because if you do that to the slow motion replay, it surely looks like the kick was good.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, RoyBatty is alive said:

HAHAHA i didnt write it was "proof", i wrote "anecdotal proof".  If that concept it so obscure to you, educate yourself and look it up.

So you agree there is more evidence that kick was good then there is for head set hacking?  Also you think its easier to hack a system and cover it up than to just bribe some officials.....

Put some tech in.  will it be perfect? no.  will it make things better? yes.

6 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

And since the league is buddying up to gambling and some of the owners even have stakes in gambling houses it makes getting this stuff correct all the more important.  The appearance of impropriety can be as damaging as actual impropriety.

This I agree with 100%.  NFL has been buddying up to gambling/fantasy football for years, that is why the injury reports are so detailed now