Edit: NFL removes Bass's kick from All-22 video

Da webster guy

29 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

No this is exactly what I wrote, "Can you cite ONE NFL game that an over the top Field goal was so close that it might have decided the game? "  You supplied one, the Belichek one, the other you posted was a game by 4 and a game by 14, one wasnt even the NFL but neither was material to the outcome of the game.  Just like the Bills=-Jets game...meaningless.

My buddy bet $200 on the Over 46.  It was +210.  It’s meaningless to some, sure.  It’s not meaningless to others.  When there is betting involved.....which there is....every single game......the league should make

more of an effort to get EVERY call correct.  There’s no reason not to except if they’re: A:  being cheap or B: they just don’t care and they’re lazy.  Neither are reasonable answers.  Considering the money that the NFL generates they should be able to figure this out.  

19 minutes ago, Doc said:

It probably would be "it's above my pay grade."  As I said earlier, they wouldn't want to admit the refs screwed-up.  That's one way to do it.

Yup. Only took 2 minutes and I’ve got some free time

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Ecmic82 said:

That’s the point here I think. A lot of people would like a simple tech fix to confirm these close calls. They’d be interested in such video, as you are.

The point of this thread is that there is a major problem with field goal officiating in the NFL specifically with good field goals being ruled as misses.  The proof is 2 close calls and some crap that happened in the NCAA, 4 or 5 instances in televised football over the past decade none of which is proven to have been an example of a missed call. 

No one has successfully established there is a real problem with field goal officiating.  If you want to talk about using tech to address non-issues in the game, be my guest but that isn't the premise of this thread.  

3 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

Watch it.....seemed like good to me.  Of course, you will see it otherwise.

I've watched it many times.  Looks like a close call and one that was left up to referee judgement due to an errant kick.  I do not see proof of a grievous mistake or anything necessitating a call to arms like the OP demands.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

The point of this thread is that there is a major problem with field goal officiating in the NFL specifically with good field goals being ruled as misses.  The proof is 2 close calls and some crap that happened in the NCAA, 4 or 5 instances in televised football over the past decade none of which is proven to have been an example of a missed call. 

No one has successfully established there is a real problem with field goal officiating.  If you want to talk about using tech to address non-issues in the game, be my guest but that isn't the premise of this thread.  

Nope. I see very little argument here that the NFL has a “major” problem with calling field goals. I’m calling bull**** on that strawman framing.

What I see are people calling for an easy fix to what could potentially be an issue in the future, and what has undoubtedly been an issue in the past. That’s it. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YattaOkasan said:

The catch rule was not introducing more technology.  You bring up a great point about technology failing, but you could review or be left with the current crappy system.  I think trying to hack the technology would be super tough and also leave trail so I dont think they would be as successful as you think.  They got the call on the field wrong and they could get it right.  They should do better.

The catch rule absolutely introduced/involves technology..... multiple slow motion high fidelity cameras and replays emerged.

Hack technology on the NFL, sure it already hasn't happened?  I do think the probably pats screwed around for years with the QB-HC communication as well as the other teams telecom.  

No you THINK or want the call on the field to be the wrong call, you don't know for a fact...if you think you do there is no point in further debate.  

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

My buddy bet $200 on the Over 46.  It was +210.  It’s meaningless to some, sure.  It’s not meaningless to others.  When there is betting involved.....which there is....every single game......the league should make

more of an effort to get EVERY call correct.  There’s no reason not to except if they’re: A:  being cheap or B: they just don’t care and they’re lazy.  Neither are reasonable answers.  Considering the money that the NFL generates they should be able to figure this out.  

Yup. Only took 2 minutes and I’ve got some free time

Ah hah, maybe the ref under the field goal; post bet the under!  Start a thread on that see what kind of traction it gets.

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

The catch rule absolutely introduced/involves technology..... multiple slow motion high fidelity cameras and replays emerged.

Hack technology on the NFL, sure it already hasn't happened?  I do think the probably pats screwed around for years with the QB-HC communication as well as the other teams telecom.  

No you THINK or want the call on the field to be the wrong call, you don't know for a fact...if you think you do there is no point in further debate.  

At the end of the day it was still a judgement call.  Ball position relative to time is not a judgement call.  

I think the onus is on you to show that hacking has happened.  

Fine I don't know that Bass's kick was good.  This same tech could easily be applied to spotting the ball which we all agree is a problem.  There is no reason to not know where the ball is exactly at any specific time.

Just now, Doc said:

They essentially admitted that Bass made the FG by screwing with the all-22 footage. 

Ah, I thought you meant they publicly admitted it... The all 22 thing is weird, but not specifically proof. The proof is in the view that everyone (minus two posters) here and the announcers and the in house ref for CBS can see. But alas, some people get something in their brain and don't have the intellectual elasticity to change their opinions with the introduction of facts and evidence. 

In their defense - NFL referees have been so notoriously reliable that they really are above reproach and shouldn't ever be questioned....

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/15/2020 at 3:54 PM, Da webster guy said:

I've watched this kick in slow motion and regular speed a dozen times.  

Two things are clear, the first is that the ball was not above the uprights at all.  It was close, but certainly the ref standing UNDER the upright has no clue. 

Second, this kick was good by several feet, not just a few inches.

The NFL using the excuse that balls kicked above the upright are not reviewable is ridiculous, how do you know it was above the upright?

There is only one way, from a side view camera even with the top of the goal posts which means either attached to the posts themselves or 40 rows up on the sidelines.  The ones in the upper end zones have no angle on this critical piece of information.

So many games come down to kicks, I'm shocked that this is just getting brushed under the table.  NFL needs to wise up and use the simple technology available to be able to get these calls right.  They finally added pylon cams, and even this year they are actually placing cameras on the first down markers (duh).  

Imagine a superbowl decided by a kick and we aren't even sure if you can challenge it or not?  McD should have thrown the challenge flag "coach you can't challenge a ball above the uprights"  McD "i'm challenging that it wasn't above the uprights, lets see your replay"   uh....um....we just have a camera on the ends of the field and one under the goals posts in the middle so.....you know these cameras are expensive coach.

9 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

It’s clearly mentioned in the OP.  It is definitely discussqble.  You act like it’s a completely different subject.  It is not

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Ecmic82 said:

Nope. I see very little argument here that the NFL has a “major” problem with calling field goals. I’m calling bull**** on that strawman framing.

What I see are people calling for an easy fix to what could potentially be an issue in the future, and what has undoubtedly been an issue in the past. That’s it. 

Did you read the OP?  The original title contained the words "Immediate Action".  

Just now, YattaOkasan said:

At the end of the day it was still a judgement call.  Ball position relative to time is not a judgement call.  

Fine I don't know that Bass's kick was good.  This same tech could easily be applied to spotting the ball which we all agree is a problem.  There is no reason to not know where the ball is exactly at any specific time.

Yeah, a field goal attempt is MUCH closer to a binary event than are judgement calls that require rules interpretation, like pass interference. Field goals are purely judgement calls because only because we choose them to be.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Ah, I thought you meant they publicly admitted it... The all 22 thing is weird, but not specifically proof. The proof is in the view that everyone (minus two posters) here and the announcers and the in house ref for CBS can see. But alas, some people get something in their brain and don't have the intellectual elasticity to change their opinions with the introduction of facts and evidence. 

In their defense - NFL referees have been so notoriously reliable that they really are above reproach and shouldn't ever be questioned....

When you alter footage that should just be left alone, there's a reason behind it. 

1 minute ago, YattaOkasan said:

The onus is on me to prove?   Read what I wrote, "I do think the probably screwed", note the key words "think' and "probably".  If you dont think a multibillion organization with a penchant for cheating in the past is capable of hacking technology,  well that is your opinion i wont bother to respond to.

7 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Did you read the OP?  The original title contained the words "Immediate Action".  

There’s a ton of things In sport and life that, in some estimation, may call for “immediate action” that aren’t “major” problems 😂.

and as a poster above observed, the OP wrote about the need for a tech fix in his post, so unsure why the premise of this thread DOESN’T at least partially involve using tech to solve a problem.

Edited by Ecmic82
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Doc said:

They essentially admitted that Bass made the FG by screwing with the all-22 footage. 

Did they?  The NFL is so freaking stupid that they would doctor highlight reels of a missed field goal so Bills fanatics could cite that as the NFL essentially admitting Bass made the field goal.

There is one thing to be a fan, a homer,......another to be, imo, irrational.

4 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

The onus is on me to prove?   Read what I wrote, "I do think the probably screwed", note the key words "think' and "probably".  If you dont think a multibillion organization with a penchant for cheating in the past is capable of hacking technology,  well that is your opinion i wont bother to respond to.

Was gonna reply above, but this is just as good.  You said I dont know if the kick is good or not but then casually throw this out there.  At least with the kick I have some pretty strong evidence.  You have literally nothing to support them hacking the technology.  More than happy to not discuss conspiracies.   

Edited by YattaOkasan
  • Like (+1) 1