Edit: NFL removes Bass's kick from All-22 video

Da webster guy

I am sorry if this has been posted already because I didn’t read every page of this thread, but the first sentence of the last paragraph of the original

post that started this thread said “ imagine a Super Bowl decided by a kick”.

I don’t drink, but I might now.

Edited by HOF Wingman
  • Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Pic or it didn’t happen ;)  

seriously. w/o a picture of it over and inside the GP 

there is no refutable evidence.  

the eh hem ref was under the GP 

was he directly under, off to the right or left we won’t know.  

Off to the left or off to the right, if that ref was anywhere under the goalpost that meant he was literally buried below the turf and was in no position to see the play. Or anything else for that matter. Christ, I hope they got him out of there! 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

Off to the left or off to the right, if that ref was anywhere under the goalpost that meant he was literally buried below the turf and was in no position to see the play. Or anything else for that matter. Christ, I hope they got him out of there! 

For all intents and purposes, he was Jimmy Hoffa.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

you missed my last part. They have chipped the balls and player pads for 3 years now at least. 

my guess is they don’t see the effort for ball positioning as a priority because pursuing and perfecting the technology doesn’t generate any new revenue.  Plus reviews can add suspense around commercial breaks

Ah, I see that you're correct. I didn't know that.

I imagine that eventually they will use this more. However currently, the location accuracy of such chips is not small enough so as to detect a missed/made field goal by fractions of an inch. It also requires placement of a sensor at each measuring location. So, in last game's case, the tip of the upright would need to have a sensor mounted within it. Likewise, buried wires would need to be installed in the field to accurately measure boundaries and yard lines. This is what NASCAR did all around their tracks for this same purpose.

8 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

Ah, I see that you're correct. I didn't know that.

I imagine that eventually they will use this more. However currently, the location accuracy of such chips is not small enough so as to detect a missed/made field goal by fractions of an inch. It also requires placement of a sensor at each measuring location. So, in last game's case, the tip of the upright would need to have a sensor mounted within it. Likewise, buried wires would need to be installed in the field to accurately measure boundaries and yard lines. This is what NASCAR did all around their tracks for this same purpose.

Yeah your probably right.  The $2 Chip was over simplistic but my thought is if there was a priority to solve it electronically, they could at least make significant progress. 

Even saw an idea somewhere, that superimposing an approximate halo around the ball for the replay observer may add more certainty to reviews.  

I just don’t think getting in right is a top priority, in fact controversial calls generate more buzz right? 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Doc said:

There are only 2 cameras that might have captured it: the crossbar cam and the overhead "all-22" cam.  The NFL controls both and have no reason to release the footage in order to point out a mistake by one of their refs.

Even a screen grab of someone's TV at the point where it appears to go through would suffice at this point.

Edited by 716er

21 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I said this in the GDT.  Just mount a camera on each goal post pointing straight up.  10 ft from the top would be just about right.

Well just extending the pole up 10 feet to hold a camera would suffice...

3 minutes ago, 716er said:

Even a screen grab of someone's TV at the point where it appears to go through would suffice at this point.

I know of only 2 posters who's TVs showed them that...

The broadcast showing the one replay and saying the kick was good reminded me of this video:

When you only have one angle, it can appear be to good, without actually being good. 

That being said, the NFL could easily avoid any controversy on kicks (more camera angles, lasers, taller goalposts, etc)

• Thank you (+1) 1

yep. they’ve put little cameras on the referees hats sometimes. They embed cameras on the end zone pylons.  We see cameras in the back of NHL hockey nets behind the goalies. 

Of Course they can put a little camera pointed upwards on each side of the crossbar.  I guess the league just chooses not to. stupid 

20 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

How bout sharks with frickin’ laser beams attached to their head instead? Or when refs get calls wrong we dump them into burning pits of hot liquid magma! bwahgahbwahaha

I was thinking more in the line of a electric shock that gets elevated the more calls that you miss. Like that machine on The Princess Bride.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This has been a problem for decades. 

In 1965 the Colts lost a sudden death playoff for the Western Conference title as a result of a last minutes Packer FG that sailed higher than the uprights and was ruled good. Photos later showed that it was beyonf the upright.  The "FG that wasn't" tied the game at 10 @.  The game went into overtime & the Pack won 13-10.  The Pack went on to beat the Browns to claim the last NFL championship pre-Super Bowl.

As a result of the blown call the height of the uprights was extended from 10 feet to 20 feet.  In 1974 the height was again extended to 30 feet and to 35 feet in 2014 at the behest of the coach we love to hate, Bill Belichick.  Can 50 feet be far behind?

BTW the goalposts originally were right on the goal line providing an extra blocker on running plays but also an extra defender on pass plays.

• Like (+1) 1