Edit: NFL removes Bass's kick from All-22 video

Da webster guy

9 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

Missin my point.

He CANT know, he has no angle.  To ask a ref to judge depth looking straight up? 

If the Ref is standing to the rear and just outside of the goalpost and looks up, then he can see if the ball was to the inside or not. 

take this scenario - IF the ball was not directly over the post - if it was not fully inside the GP it would have hit the post .  Which way would it bounce?  Left, Right or backwards.  

So we are back to His assumption.

Don't get me wrong.  I think it was a questionable call and would have loved to see it reviewed, but w/o a proper picture at that precise moment it is all up for conjecture

4 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Aaaaaaaaaaand.. the kick is GOOD!

where is the proof?  

see above

13 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I know right?? $2 solution to a million dollar problem. And no more stupid goal line “did he get in??” reviews.

This is actually a serious question. Where and how many microchips would you need in each ball? This would be a no-brainer solution if you're talking about a basketball or baseball, where one chip in the dead center of the ball would be all you'd need. But a football's shape could present a challenge. Even if you put a chip at both tips of the ball, what if the ball is being held sideways in such a way that the part near the laces crosses the plane, but neither tip does. You'd probably need a belt of microchips inside the ball to make that work. So maybe $200 per ball? It's just to say that even with the technology available, it might not be as easy as it sounds for football.

Here's the fun part. You know the Patriots would install some kind of cloaking device in the ball their opponents were using to refute that it actually crossed the plane.

1 minute ago, John Gianelli said:

This is actually a serious question. Where and how many microchips would you need in each ball? This would be a no-brainer solution if you're talking about a basketball or baseball, where one chip in the dead center of the ball would be all you'd need. But a football's shape could present a challenge. Even if you put a chip at both tips of the ball, what if the ball is being held sideways in such a way that the part near the laces crosses the plane, but neither tip does. You'd probably need a belt of microchips inside the ball to make that work. So maybe $200 per ball? It's just to say that even with the technology available, it might not be as easy as it sounds for football.

Here's the fun part. You know the Patriots would install some kind of cloaking device in the ball their opponents were using to refute that it actually crossed the plane.

High end positioning chips know orientation, elevation, etc. as a result, knowing the placement within the ball and some simple math, you’d always know ball location and orientation within some small margin. I mean maybe it’s an $8 chip but still. 

best part is in looking this up I learned they already put chips in player shoulder pads and the footballs for next gen stats. 

2 hours ago, 716er said:

If it was obviously good there would be a pic floating around of the exact moment the ball goes "thru" the uprights. I haven't seen it yet.

There are only 2 cameras that might have captured it: the crossbar cam and the overhead "all-22" cam.  The NFL controls both and have no reason to release the footage in order to point out a mistake by one of their refs.

Edited by Doc

47 minutes ago, John Gianelli said:

In light of your scurrilous accusation, the league has awarded a compensatory conditional draft pick to the New England Patriots.  Now, let's see who's paying attention.  😁

🛑🚓👮🏿 Not funny!

15 minutes ago, Doc said:

There are only 2 cameras that would have captured it: the crossbar cam and the overhead "all-22" cam.  The NFL controls both and have no reason to release the footage in order to point out a mistake by one of their refs.

A conspiracy of silence speaks volumes.

It seemed like it was above the upright to me, but at any rate, just based on the sheer physics of the kick, there's no way that it was wide right. The angle and speed that the ball was traveling in makes it impossible for the ball to have hit the net where it did without having been between the uprights.

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

High end positioning chips know orientation, elevation, etc. as a result, knowing the placement within the ball and some simple math, you’d always know ball location and orientation within some small margin. I mean maybe it’s an $8 chip but still. 

best part is in looking this up I learned they already put chips in player shoulder pads and the footballs for next gen stats. 

The issue is the power supply, not the chip. Plus, the balls would have to be charged up. I can see it now... "The game is delayed while we charge the footballs." And, rain and snow would affect the electronics causing false readings.

4 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

The issue is the power supply, not the chip. Plus, the balls would have to be charged up. I can see it now... "The game is delayed while we charge the footballs." And, rain and snow would affect the electronics causing false readings.

you missed my last part. They have chipped the balls and player pads for 3 years now at least. 

my guess is they don’t see the effort for ball positioning as a priority because pursuing and perfecting the technology doesn’t generate any new revenue.  Plus reviews can add suspense around commercial breaks

16 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

A laser beam that blows up the football if it crosses its path. good entertainment

I hate to ruin this but no more TD passes? 🙃 

3 hours ago, Doc said:

There are only 2 cameras that might have captured it: the crossbar cam and the overhead "all-22" cam.  The NFL controls both and have no reason to release the footage in order to point out a mistake by one of their refs.

Whatever you do, do not google ‘was bills kick wide right’ for videos....