Edit: NFL removes Bass's kick from All-22 video

Da webster guy

I’m glad we didn’t lose a playoff game by one point on that call. The board would crash, the city would be burned, the Falls would freeze over in summer and wings would be banned forever after Ranch became the dip of choice. 

We won the game, I’ll gladly move on and be happy. Maybe we get a crazy call next time. They tend to even out in the long run. 

2 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Pic or it didn’t happen ;)  

seriously. w/o a picture of it over and inside the GP 

there is no refutable evidence.  

the eh hem ref was under the GP 

was he directly under, off to the right or left we won’t know.  

Missin my point.

He CANT know, he has no angle.  To ask a ref to judge depth looking straight up? 

We tried it at Victor H.S. football field, you can tell on some easy, (we used tennis balls) but some you cant at all.

If the dogs didnt keep stealing the balls it wldve gone smoother, so dont bring your mutt.

8 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m glad we didn’t lose a playoff game by one point on that call. The board would crash, the city would be burned, the Falls would freeze over in summer and wings would be banned forever after Ranch became the dip of choice. 

We won the game, I’ll gladly move on and be happy. Maybe we get a crazy call next time. They tend to even out in the long run. 

Im happy we won too, just pointing out something fixable that could be another egg on the face of the league down the road.

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Stop---it was clearly over the uprights.

So this line of argument is completely without merit.  

No it wasnt clearly over the uprights.  It would have hit the net much higher.

1 hour ago, Big C said:

Alternatively, kick the ball down the middle on a routine 38 yard attempt. 

Or just go for 2 every time.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

Missin my point.

He CANT know, he has no angle.  To ask a ref to judge depth looking straight up? 

We tried it at Victor H.S. football field, you can tell on some easy, (we used tennis balls) but some you cant at all.

If the dogs didnt keep stealing the balls it wldve gone smoother, so dont bring your mutt.

Im happy we won too, just pointing out something fixable that could be another egg on the face of the league down the road.

I fully agree that there has to be some better technology to determine if a kick is good. I was all over that after that sketchy call. 

It looked to me that the goal posts, particularly the one on the right, were not perfectly vertical.  They both bent to the right, looking at them from the field.  Unless it's possible to ensure the goal posts are perfectly vertical, putting a camera (or laser beam) on the top won't really tell whether it was where it should be.

Or, maybe, make the goal posts flexible and let them sway in the wind.  Get inside the heads of those kickers, who will have to hit a moving target.  Quarterbacks do it, so why not kickers?  That would REALLY make extra points interesting.

I mean it certainly LOOKED like the ball was past the goalpost when it drifted to the right based on what you saw but all we had was the long view camera to look at and the behind view and neither was conclusive. The refs are standing under the goalposts with the best view. That being said why isn't there a crossbar cam?? Seems very simple to implement and would give a great view to the officials and replay booth.

9 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

No it wasnt clearly over the uprights.  It would have hit the net much higher.

Or just go for 2 every time.

9 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

Missin my point.

Wait so in statement #1 are you implying the the kick was low enough and went between the goalposts and the refs missed it?  The kick was definitely higher than the goalposts and therefore clearly over the uprights - which is the phrasing for a kick that is higher than the top of the goalposts.

I do not understand you angle point - as literally standing under the goalpost and looking up is the only vantage point to be able to judge that.  Any other spot on the field and you have to deal with angles to try and decide.  The ref looking straight up is equivalent to putting the laser/camera on the top or trying to extend the posts 10 more feet up, but without dealing with sway of the post.

I will not say the ref did not miss it - since we have seen it before, but literally there was only 1 person that should of had the perfect angle to see the ball right as it got to the goal post and that was the ref that called it no good.  Everything else as both the announcer and the booth ref said were speculation because we can not tell the exact moment it got to the end line.

It does not mean that the ref did not blow the call as that happens and it does not mean the NFL cannot do better on this, but I have not seen one shot that shows the kick was good.  I have seen a lot of shots showing that at a point around the post it was good and at some point right around there it starts to veer right very quickly.  The issue is at the exact point it crosses the goal line we can not tell from any of the camera angles I have seen.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 1