Edit: NFL removes Bass's kick from All-22 video

Da webster guy

57 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

I've watched this kick in slow motion and regular speed a dozen times.  

Two things are clear, the first is that the ball was not above the uprights at all.  It was close, but certainly the ref standing UNDER the upright has no clue. 

Second, this kick was good by several feet, not just a few inches.

The NFL using the excuse that balls kicked above the upright are not reviewable is ridiculous, how do you know it was above the upright?

There is only one way, from a side view camera even with the top of the goal posts which means either attached to the posts themselves or 40 rows up on the sidelines.  The ones in the upper end zones have no angle on this critical piece of information.

So many games come down to kicks, I'm shocked that this is just getting brushed under the table.  NFL needs to wise up and use the simple technology available to be able to get these calls right.  They finally added pylon cams, and even this year they are actually placing cameras on the first down markers (duh).  

Imagine a superbowl decided by a kick and we aren't even sure if you can challenge it or not?  McD should have thrown the challenge flag "coach you can't challenge a ball above the uprights"  McD "i'm challenging that it wasn't above the uprights, lets see your replay"   uh....um....we just have a camera on the ends of the field and one under the goals posts in the middle so.....you know these cameras are expensive coach.

So you admit that there is no camera angle which definitively proves the ball above the upright but you clearly saw the ball pass between the uprights by several feet?  

Who is uncertain on whether a kick can be reviewed?  You can throw the challenge flag on an non-reviewable play and nothing happens.  He missed the kick.  Get a grip.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

Two things are clear, the first is that the ball was not above the uprights at all.  It was close, but certainly the ref standing UNDER the upright has no clue. 

The NFL using the excuse that balls kicked above the upright are not reviewable is ridiculous, how do you know it was above the upright?

There is only one way, from a side view camera even with the top of the goal posts which means either attached to the posts themselves or 40 rows up on the sidelines.  The ones in the upper end zones have no angle on this critical piece of information.

So many games come down to kicks, I'm shocked that this is just getting brushed under the table.  NFL needs to wise up and use the simple technology available to be able to get these calls right.  They finally added pylon cams, and even this year they are actually placing cameras on the first down markers (duh).  

Imagine a superbowl decided by a kick and we aren't even sure if you can challenge it or not?  McD should have thrown the challenge flag "coach you can't challenge a ball above the uprights"  McD "i'm challenging that it wasn't above the uprights, lets see your replay"   uh....um....we just have a camera on the ends of the field and one under the goals posts in the middle so.....you know these cameras are expensive coach.

Not sure I understand some of this.  The kick was most definitely higher than the top of the goal posts (above the uprights as they say).  The question is where in regards to the goalpost was the ball as it crossed the goalpost and how is the rule written.

Sal thought if any part of the ball was above the post - the kick was considered good and therefore he thought it was good, but he was not sure of the exact wording - which totally matters in a case like this.

Second this is not the first time this has been an issue- as last year there was a kick where the far side judge ruled it no good and the judge under the goalpost ruled it good - after discussion they decided it was good - so this does need to be addressed.

What I can not tell and what I have to trust the judge is the position of the ball at the moment it crosses the end line.  The best person to judge that should be the guy standing right under goalpost and looking straight up.  

The easiest fix would be cameras on the top of the goalpost, but I would worry about wind and the effects on the goal post creating weird angles.  

We will have to see.

3 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

So you admit that there is no camera angle which definitively proves the ball above the upright but you clearly saw the ball pass between the uprights by several feet?  

Who is uncertain on whether a kick can be reviewed?  You can throw the challenge flag on an non-reviewable play and nothing happens.  He missed the kick.  Get a grip.

Oh he's not the only one who "saw" that....

1 hour ago, Da webster guy said:

A multi Billon $$$ company and the NFL can't afford to extend the goal posts 10ft on each side.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

A laser beam that blows up the football if it crosses its path. good entertainment

An experiment can start with Denver and Indy who can mount tiny equine noggins on the top of their goalposts.  One eye can be a camera looking toward the other post and the other eye can be the laser pointing straight up.

I swear when I was watching the game they showed a replay view from beneath.  I said.....wait a second......I never saw that angle again.  Am I remembering it wrong?

Edited by 4merper4mer
  • Like (+1) 1

Who cares, it didn't affect the outcome. Bad calls are a part of the game. Instant replay is the worst thing that ever happened to sports.

But it wouldn't be that difficult to rig the goalposts with lasers that could detect anything breaking the plane. It's the same technology that prevents your garage door from crushing your cat. 

Edited by skibum

18 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

An experiment can start with Denver and Indy who can mount tiny equine noggins on the top of their goalposts.  One eye can be a camera looking toward the other post and the other eye can be the laser pointing straight up.

I swear when I was watching the game they showed a replay view from beneath.  I said.....wait a second......I never saw that angle again.  Am I remembering it wrong?

I was going to say this.  When the actual kick happened there was a replay that showed it from below.  It wasn't definitive but it had me saying "wait a sec".  They never showed it again but after that break is when the announcers started to discuss it.  

For easier decisions by the refs, I say, which no one will agree with, is to put a crossbar at the top of the goal posts and force the kickers to kick it inside the huge rectangle. Bass will surely be unemployed but almost the rest of the league's kickers would be able to handle the rule change 😀

5 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

How bout sharks with frickin’ laser beams attached to their head instead? Or when refs get calls wrong we dump them into burning pits of hot liquid magma! bwahgahbwahaha

giphy.gif

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, boco357 said:

I wish the NFL would hust put a microchip in the ball go have definite proof for instances like this and crossing the plane plays as well.

If they have the technology to tell when a tennis ball going 110+mph is in our out, they can certainly do what you just proposed. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Tierlifer said:

If they have the technology to tell when a tennis ball going 110+mph is in our out, they can certainly do what you just proposed. 

That's true. And while we are at it why don't we put transmitters inside of our cars that alert the police when we are speeding.