Edit: NFL removes Bass's kick from All-22 video

Da webster guy

I've watched this kick in slow motion and regular speed a dozen times.  

Two things are clear, the first is that the ball was not above the uprights at all.  It was close, but certainly the ref standing UNDER the upright has no clue. 

Second, this kick was good by several feet, not just a few inches.

The NFL using the excuse that balls kicked above the upright are not reviewable is ridiculous, how do you know it was above the upright?

There is only one way, from a side view camera even with the top of the goal posts which means either attached to the posts themselves or 40 rows up on the sidelines.  The ones in the upper end zones have no angle on this critical piece of information.

So many games come down to kicks, I'm shocked that this is just getting brushed under the table.  NFL needs to wise up and use the simple technology available to be able to get these calls right.  They finally added pylon cams, and even this year they are actually placing cameras on the first down markers (duh).  

Imagine a superbowl decided by a kick and we aren't even sure if you can challenge it or not?  McD should have thrown the challenge flag "coach you can't challenge a ball above the uprights"  McD "i'm challenging that it wasn't above the uprights, lets see your replay"   uh....um....we just have a camera on the ends of the field and one under the goals posts in the middle so.....you know these cameras are expensive coach.

• Like (+1) 12
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If they can put a camera in an end zone pylon, they can put one on each upright.

Just now, boco357 said:

I wish the NFL would hust put a microchip in the ball go have definite proof for instances like this and crossing the plane plays as well.

Or frickin' laser beams.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Don't know about this particular kick, but agree there's no reason not to have tech installed to conclusively solve the problem. Could easily put a camera onto each post pointing directly upward, or a camera fitted into the end of each goalpost, pointed upward with a field of vision equal the goalpost's diameter.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

I've watched this kick in slow motion and regular speed a dozen times.  

Two things are clear, the first is that the ball was not above the uprights at all.  It was close, but certainly the ref standing UNDER the upright has no clue. 

Second, this kick was good by several feet, not just a few inches.

The NFL using the excuse that balls kicked above the upright are not reviewable is ridiculous, how do you know it was above the upright?

There is only one way, from a side view camera even with the top of the goal posts which means either attached to the posts themselves or 40 rows up on the sidelines.  The ones in the upper end zones have no angle on this critical piece of information.

So many games come down to kicks, I'm shocked that this is just getting brushed under the table.  NFL needs to wise up and use the simple technology available to be able to get these calls right.  They finally added pylon cams, and even this year they are actually placing cameras on the first down markers (duh).  

Imagine a superbowl decided by a kick and we aren't even sure if you can challenge it or not?  McD should have thrown the challenge flag "coach you can't challenge a ball above the uprights"  McD "i'm challenging that it wasn't above the uprights, lets see your replay"   uh....um....we just have a camera on the ends of the field and one under the goals posts in the middle so.....you know these cameras are expensive coach.

Stop---it was clearly over the uprights.

So this line of argument is completely without merit.  

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, boco357 said:

I wish the NFL would hust put a microchip in the ball go have definite proof for instances like this and crossing the plane plays as well.

I know right?? $2 solution to a million dollar problem. And no more stupid goal line “did he get in??” reviews.

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

3 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I know right?? $2 solution to a million dollar problem. And no more stupid goal line “did he get in??” reviews.

Wouldn't help much as most controversies are surrounding whether player was down before the ball broke the plane.  Chips can't decide.

Just now, Big C said:

Alternatively, kick the ball down the middle on a routine 38 yard attempt. 

There you go.  This kid had 4 chip shot and one went straight through the uprights.

Yeesh.

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Wouldn't help much as most controversies are surrounding whether player was down before the ball broke the plane.  Chips can't decide.

There you go.  This kid had 4 chip shot and one went straight through the uprights.

Yeesh.

It guarantees knowledge of one of the two variables. Given that and time synchronization with all camera angles, it solves 99% of the scenarios.  This isn’t hard. 

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

It guarantees knowledge of one of the two variables. Given that and time synchronization with all camera angles, it solves 99% of the scenarios.  This isn’t hard. 

If the fact of whether the ball even crossed the plane is so obscured to all replays then it is likely that the player being down is also an issue.  A straight shot of a non-downed player with the ball at the plane is an easy call (i.e., yes, it "isn't hard" at all).

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

If the fact of whether the ball even crossed the plane is so obscured to all replays then it is likely that the player being down is also an issue.  A straight shot of a non-downed player with the ball at the plane is an easy call (i.e., yes, it "isn't hard" at all).

ok you’re right it’s impossible to solve. I guess we should stick to launching satellites and finding new subatomic particles... 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1