The main difference in the pass game Sunday.

JerseyBills

We actually gave Josh some gimme throws - screens and 5 yard routes! And they were effective.  

I wouldn't be surprised if our offense had more YAC yesterday than any game in Allens career. 

Allen had the lowest check down rate at 6.4% last year and the highest target depth.

Looks like Dabol made it a priority to scheme up some easy passes to get Allen and the O rolling.  That screen to Smoke Brown was beautiful.  Wasn't even touched! 

Allens average depth of target in week 1 was much lower than last year. 

If you told me prior to the game he has 44 pass attempts,  I'd be nervous as heck and think it was very close W or a loss. But no , credit Dabol for adding the shorter , gimme passes into his playbook. 44 attempts and we got a dominant victory. 

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

We actually gave Josh some gimme throws - screens and 5 yard routes! And they were effective.  

Allen had the lowest check down rate at 6.4% last year and the highest target depth.

Looks like Dabol made it a priority to scheme up some easy passes to get Allen and the O rolling.  That screen to Smoke Brown was beautiful.  Wasn't even touched! 

If you told me prior to the game he has 44 pass attempts,  I'd be nervous as heck and think it was very close W or a loss. But no , credit Dabol for adding the shorter , gimme passes into his playbook. 44 attempts and we got a dominant victory. 

We couldn't execute a screen to save our lives las year. There was this narrative that we never called them. We did we were just bad at them. Part of that was the online, part of it was Josh not selling the disguise and frankly part of it was not having receivers who blocked. Diggs blocks and I noticed Davis and Beasley with a big block apiece too. The screen game was hugely improved yesterday. Hope that keeps rolling.  

• Like (+1) 5

16 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

Diggs

Of course. Diggs impacts the O as a whole

We now have a guy on the outside who demands attention, double teams , shifting his direction.  It opens up the whole O ! 

Brown on the other side too, one of the best #2 WR in the game , one of the best slot guys in the game. 

Defenses can't just blitz heavily anymore or spy Allen on every play!

These screens add another layer to the O , giving our opponents DCs grey hair 

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

The screen game might be the takeaway from game 1 that gives me the most optimism for this season. It is a huge addition to our offense.

How many times have we watched NE KILL us with well timed and executed screens? So, nice to see multiple screens called and executed.

My favorite was to Knox. That’s a whole lotta Rosie to tackle.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

3 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Yeah, and he actually gave some of them back.😄

Diggs is the X Factor. His presence is really gonna allow Daboll to get creative with the rest of his offense because he draws so much attention. Not every opposing D will be as stout as the Jets D. Once Daboll is able to establish Motor and Moss the offense will really hummmmmm....I would not be surprised if Joshs' line seasons end would be 4100 yds 40TDs total (8 rushing) at a 65% comp. Reasonable? I think so.

Edited by billsbackto81
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The two Knox catches were great - was one of my favorite things about the game. Good plays to be called, and it's proof that Knox could be a meaningful TE weapon. No one will ever be Gronk again (I don't think) but if he was comparable to Shockey - i'd be more than thrilled.

• Like (+1) 4

40 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

The screen game might be the takeaway from game 1 that gives me the most optimism for this season. It is a huge addition to our offense.

having a good screen and play action game mixed in will go far in keeping defenses honest. 

then roll in he could throw 70 yards down field and pretty much side line to sideline or run up the middle... 

it’s hard to cover that much grass and not be able to cheat on anything 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I wouldn't be surprised if our offense had more YAC yesterday than any game in Allens career. 

Diggs made a big difference - not just for his own catches, but he seems to have inspired the other guys to submarine or go low for balls.

There were short routes schemed up a-plenty last year, Josh didn't take them whether for lack of confidence in his short throws, or for gunslinger focus on matriculating the football further down the field. 

Screens on the other hand, were MIA last year and a Thing of Beauty on Sunday

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

We couldn't execute a screen to save our lives las year. There was this narrative that we never called them. We did we were just bad at them. Part of that was the online, part of it was Josh not selling the disguise and frankly part of it was not having receivers who blocked. Diggs blocks and I noticed Davis and Beasley with a big block apiece too. The screen game was hugely improved yesterday. Hope that keeps rolling.  

On JOsh's first run of the game he got creamed by Jets.....Davis ran right by the guy he was supposed to block.  Rookies.........so, it wasn't all good news on the blocking from wrt the receivers.

Davis; a legitimate nfl size and shaped athletic rookie threat and then Diggs who is top shelf. 

now you go 4 wide with those two plus brown and Beasley and do it against some very average DBs. 

That’s the difference; WR talent that can separate quickly and favorable match up sideline to sideline. 

3 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

On JOsh's first run of the game he got creamed by Jets.....Davis ran right by the guy he was supposed to block.  Rookies.........so, it wasn't all good news on the blocking from wrt the receivers.

No I know. I was talking specifically about the screens.

32 minutes ago, CarolinaBillsFan said:

Did anyone notice that Allen doesn't like to look to his right at the RB when nobody is open down field?  He always seems to look for the homerun ball.  I am an Allen backer, but hopefully he dumps it off a little bit more, especially to his right side.  Jus sayin!!

Yes. I was screaming at the TV that he had Moss standing wide open on the right sideline when he chose to tuck it and run. I’m hoping they correct that in the film room. I think Josh gets the adrenaline flowing when he gets out in space and just likes to run around like a kid on the playground...which is odd because he looked really calm under Center before each snap on Sunday.

14 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Hopefully we do better on screens this week because we are facing the best screen game in the NFL most likely under Gailey.