Mike Lombardi Breaks Down Allen, Darnold and Mayfield - $40M Club?

Coach Tuesday

14 hours ago, Ecmic82 said:

Illustration:

Allen was 7-9 on third down throws. Of those seven completions, six were for a first down (the seventh got the Bills into a 4th and 1, which they converted).

Average yards to go on those 7 completed attempts: 5 yards

Average completion yardage on those seven attempts: 6.5 yards

Josh Allen averaged 5 YPA on his third down throws. "Horrible number". But those throws led to first downs 67% of the time (no team cracked the 50%-for-the-season mark last year).

So yeah, I'd take those horrible numbers all day 🤣

It's science.

8 hours ago, JohnNord said:

How was his development stunted in his early years?  Not sure I buy this

- Allen simply didn't have the quality coaching in his collegiate career that he would have received if he had played in a major college program in the SEC, Big Ten, Big Twelve or PAC 10.  Many of the programs in these major conferences rival the pros in the quality of their coaching staffs.

- In his rookie season, the Bills' QB coach was a guy whose QB coaching experience consisted of 1 year of coaching QBs at a small collegiate program about 30 years before.   That the Bills replaced Culley the next year with proven QB coach, Ken Dorsey, and Allen's massive improvement from Year 1 to Year 2 and throughout his sophomore season speaks to Culley's shortcomings as a QB coach.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Because he went to juco and then Wyoming... hard to say but if he had better coaching... dont think he was referring to time with the Bills... other than he had to play too soon.

Gotcha.... the lack of those experience from HS through college make him such an intriguing prospect.

The problem is that he didn’t have many other options for playing college ball.  I think it’s fair to argue that the resources within with a major Division 1 program probably would’ve helped his development.  But again, none of them saw potential him then and there had to be a reason.

He did have a decent college coach in Craig Bohl who also developed Carson Wentz a few years earlier, but still it’s not exactly the same.

I always felt that Allen needed to play his rookie his rookie.  Maybe he came in a few games too early but I don’t feel he makes the same jump from Year 1 to Year 2 by watching AJ McCarron or Nate Peterman.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

- Allen simply didn't have the quality coaching in his collegiate career that he would have received if he had played in a major college program in the SEC, Big Ten, Big Twelve or PAC 10.  Many of the programs in these major conferences rival the pros in the quality of their coaching staffs.

- In his rookie season, the Bills' QB coach was a guy whose QB coaching experience consisted of 1 year of coaching QBs at a small collegiate program about 30 years before.   That the Bills replaced Culley the next year with proven QB coach, Ken Dorsey, and Allen's massive improvement from Year 1 to Year 2 and throughout his sophomore season speaks to Culley's shortcomings as a QB coach.

Everyone knocks his college coaching yet his college coach produced two top 10 pick QBs in 5 years.  What other coach could say that?

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Everyone knocks his college coaching yet his college coach produced two top 10 pick QBs in 5 years.  What other coach could say that?

I don’t think his coach at Wyoming is to fault so much as playing at a small high school and then going the JUCO route. Folks seem to forget that Aaron Rodgers went the JUCO route to an air raid offense, and he was set back by that as well.... tweaking his footwork & motion as well as learning to read defenses and run a pro offense. 

• Like (+1) 3

10 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

This is what I argued as well.  I think that as a whole though, the quality/experiences of coaches at a D1 powerhouse like, say Alabama, is higher than Wyoming.  You can argue his development might have been accelerated had he been surrounded by experiences coaches and D1 talent 

15 hours ago, JohnNord said:

This is what I argued as well.  I think that as a whole though, the quality/experiences of coaches at a D1 powerhouse like, say Alabama, is higher than Wyoming.  You can argue his development might have been accelerated had he been surrounded by experiences coaches and D1 talent 

Again more about High School, Juco and late bloomer stuff.  He keeps going up in his improvement so there has to be something to this... when he starts plateauing we will know more about his development... Reminds me of Elway a bit.

• Like (+1) 1