Lack of RB Production is limiting this Team

It's not a focus of the offense and rightly so. If it was, they would do a better job running it. Motor averaged over 5 YPC last year and was effective when they ran it. 

The Bills need to do a better job at sustaining blocks...no RB should constantly be dodging defenders in the backfield.

6 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

It's not a focus of the offense and rightly so. If it was, they would do a better job running it. Motor averaged over 5 YPC last year and was effective when they ran it. 

The Bills need to do a better job at sustaining blocks...no RB should constantly be dodging defenders in the backfield.

Oh really.  Our running game is struggling to defeat four down lineman on a consistent basis, which allows the LBs and secondary to sit in zone all day.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/15/2020 at 2:16 PM, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Can you think of any runs where our RBs are breaking away runs to even score?  I can't think of any.

Doesn’t happen in Buffalo. McCoy in the snow storm is the last one I remember. 

Couldn't agree more that the lack of run game is problematic... BUT there is a silver lining.

The division is essentially ours. If we just keep showing up, we have an easy road to make the playoffs assuming Allen stays healthy. (Notice the drop off in designed qb runs lately?)

SO

Keep Allen healthy during the regular season, and then unleash him in the playoffs.. thus transforming the run game back into a top rushing attack in the NFL. THAT'S IT.

Unfortunately for us fans, the offense won't be breaking any regular season records, and Allen isn't going to throw 30TDs this season... we're essentially watching an analytic navigation of the regular season, that will allow for the greatest post season opportunity.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

An oline we thought would be better due to continuity has been worse then last year in the run game.  

3 reasons:

1. The continuity is gone.  No Spain.  Feliciano out.  Ford to Guard then Left Guard.  Winters is so freaking bad.  Williams is meh.  

2.  Offensive philosophy.  More weapons and spread it out.  Turn Allen loose and use him to do....everything.  Especially inside the 10.

3. TEs are not good blockers.  

This absolutely has to be addressed because you cannot win in Buffalo in late fall (which is the first week of November) let alone thru January without an oline and running game to take the pressure off the QB in often windy conditions.  And keep the D honest.  The best Bills teams ever could run the ball to compliment the pass.

I think Singletary is a very good player.  Moss will be.  Problem is the line.  Its Morse and Dawkins right now.  Hopefully Feliciano helps turn it around.

Disagree on Williams.  I think the OT play has been very good overall.  The IOL play has not, to put it mildly.  Even Morse has been up and down.  But that might be a function of some pretty poor OG play on both sides of him.  He’s been a very good C before so I think it’s that.  The 3 OGs we’ve put on the field have been average or worse throughout their careers and they have not looked average this season.

The RBs are both decent players, but I don’t think either will ever be a great back.  They’d both still be productive behind a good OL though.  And if one could be a legit threat receiving, that’d be great. 

9 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

An oline we thought would be better due to continuity has been worse then last year in the run game.  

3 reasons:

1. The continuity is gone.  No Spain.  Feliciano out.  Ford to Guard then Left Guard.  Winters is so freaking bad.  Williams is meh.  

2.  Offensive philosophy.  More weapons and spread it out.  Turn Allen loose and use him to do....everything.  Especially inside the 10.

3. TEs are not good blockers.  

This absolutely has to be addressed because you cannot win in Buffalo in late fall (which is the first week of November) let alone thru January without an oline and running game to take the pressure off the QB in often windy conditions.  And keep the D honest.  The best Bills teams ever could run the ball to compliment the pass.

I think Singletary is a very good player.  Moss will be.  Problem is the line.  Its Morse and Dawkins right now.  Hopefully Feliciano helps turn it around.

Yeah, against the Jets we saw a better run game because our guards were able to function a bit better against the Jets DL than against Tenn and KC.

This has been put up elsewhere but it shows pretty clearly why the run game is spluttering

And I could be mistaken, but I think his analysis doesn't go far enough in describing how the line is totally out of sync and incompetent at run blocking.  For example, in the first play he focuses on Cody Ford, but you can see Dawkins hesitate to step forward and take on the linebacker.  Singletary starts to head for the hole between Dawkins and the LB, then Dawkins steps forward right into Singletary's path forcing him to hesitate so that the Rams DT has time to get off Ford's block and take him.  etc.

• Like (+1) 1

After what SF did to the Patriots on the ground I would give Moss at least 20 carries. Moss has better hands and is a more powerful runner. Singletary is a solid all around RB but he could barely beat out cement shoes Gore. Moss gets stronger the more you feed him the ball, I would give Moss the lions share and see what he can do. Singletary is a good back up RB but I don't think he should be starting. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/15/2020 at 2:13 PM, Royale with Cheese said:

How often does something like this happen?  Even the fastest RB's in the league might do it once a year?

What would you say is the minimum yardage that is considered "taking it to the house"?  I would say at least 50?

They won't smoke guys but as long as they don't just run in a straight line....they can do it.

I bet Singletary will have one run of over 50 yards to the house this year.  If he doesn't, I'll set you up with Matt Milano.

Sorry at @GunnerBill

Looks like you don’t get Milano.

• Haha (+1) 2

The backs are doing fine. The last two weeks, when running was called for they run the ball down the opposition's throat. Moss will be a beast going forward.  Remember,  this team is an empty formation nightmare for defenses, because Josh can tuck it an run if you don't devote a spy and play off receivers. 

9 minutes ago, Hampton Josh fan said:

The backs are doing fine. The last two weeks, when running was called for they run the ball down the opposition's throat. Moss will be a beast going forward.  Remember,  this team is an empty formation nightmare for defenses, because Josh can tuck it an run if you don't devote a spy and play off receivers. 

All we need is for the running game to work when it needs to.....two games in a row at the end of the game they just knuckled down and ground it out killing clock.....

Wont see a dominant running attack when our passing game is killing everybody

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

All we need is for the running game to work when it needs to.....two games in a row at the end of the game they just knuckled down and ground it out killing clock.....

Wont see a dominant running attack when our passing game is killing everybody

I like your analysis. Good take.