Lack of RB Production is limiting this Team

18 hours ago, NewEra said:

Or, a back who could potentially take it to the house on every touch would be a perfect complement to moss.....

This caliber of back is rare... They need not only speed, but vision, elusiveness and balance.  And a damn good offensive line.  Most backs ain’t breaking 50+ yard TD’s regularly.   More backs will break 30 yards and in.  Singletary and Moss can do that.

Edited by purple haze

17 hours ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

But he specifically mentions the past 2 seasons. Then after the game against the Jets our RBs had 41 yards total... He is simply stating things have to change.

I agree, yeah it’s only one game. But if this team doesn’t start improving our offense will be held back. Teams I’d bet focus solely on Josh and our passing game.

The only reason the Titans are good is because they can run the ball. 

I’ll give it time, but the run game looked bad on Sunday 

I don't care what he mentions, his thread title is referring to our current team, hence why I thought this thread was a joke.

Our current team has 1 game played. and we went against one of the best rushing D's in the NFL. Our gameplan was for lots of QB runs because they have struggled with that/its what the film showed/its another way to get the ground game going against a great run D. The Jets secondary is very weak so the gameplan called for Josh to throw all day, which we did with ease. 

This thread would have merit, in about a month or more when we actually see if "our lack of RB production is holding us back" haha

17 hours ago, QLBillsFan said:

How far were the 28 TD runs for the Ravens? A team know for strong O line play. A team that has blown opponents away with a balanced O. Who are their fast RB’s? 

With respect to hand off timing the Bills ran option so that’s how it works. Based on last years performance Singletary is a solid RB with an over 5 yard per carry average. 

Let’s discuss Bills woeful running game after 8 games. I’m guessing you won’t be talking about it. It’s an Allen led O ! Nobody in GB is worried about their RB play. The Bills will run when it’s the best option. Each game is its own entity. Let it play out. Just my thoughts. 

I would hope not. Aaron Jones had 16 TDs and averaged 4.6 y/c last year.

Aldo, the 2018 team had virtually no O line, or receiving threats, and almost zero QBs that were ready to start. Can you say “the results of the strip down of a rebuild” no surprises there.  

The 2019 team was actually a real team, but with obvious flaws, yet made the playoffs, this season the team is much better all around, and has played all of one game, and running the ball was not the game plan for that game. 

So with the history and reasons well known the past poor performance is explained. Our running game last season was ranked 8th league wide iirc?  

Now going forward, if the running game is not improved there is then something to talk about.  I would say that it matters more that the points are scored than who is scoring them, resulting in wins of course.  We are going to be okay when it comes to our RB room carrying its weight this season. I think that game plans for given opponents will change the emphasis as to which group will do the scoring from game to game. I do believe that Singletary and Moss will

be more of the emphasis in Miami. 

Go Bills!!!

2 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Aldo, the 2018 team had virtually no O line, or receiving threats, and almost zero QBs that were ready to start. Can you say “the results of the strip down of a rebuild” no surprises there.  

The 2019 team was actually a real team, but with obvious flaws, yet made the playoffs, this season the team is much better all around, and has played all of one game, and running the ball was not the game plan for that game. 

So with the history and reasons well known the past poor performance is explained. Our running game last season was ranked 8th league wide iirc?  

Now going forward, if the running game is not improved there is then something to talk about.  I would say that it matters more that the points are scored than who is scoring them, resulting in wins of course.  We are going to be okay when it comes to our RB room carrying its weight this season. I think that game plans for given opponents will change the emphasis as to which group will do the scoring from game to game. I do believe that Singletary and Moss will

be more of the emphasis in Miami. 

Go Bills!!!

Fair enough.  I think it was a worthy discussion and a lot of valid points supporting and to chill.  Let's see how this year goes.

16 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Fair enough.  I think it was a worthy discussion and a lot of valid points supporting and to chill.  Let's see how this year goes.

I do believe that your thoughts on having a more stout run game is absolutely essential to the teams future success, I feel that the progression to get there has not been smooth over the last three seasons. 

Go Bills!!!

Our RB are fine. Id rather step into the 2000's and have a decent passing game VS a elite running game....now look..I get sometimes you have to run, it helps the offense as a whole as another "threat" to plan for ...and its nice to have..and unlike the OP I think the running game is fine...is it their bread and butter anymore???? no....am I good with that 100% YES. it just needs to be complimentary and viable...I dont care anymore if its "elite" or that you have a top 5 back in the game anymore...I dont need that. 

And do I think our RB are good enough to be a nice compliment to a good passing game? YES. We are just not ground and pound anymore and in that I am HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

I agree, but I still believe we can get more TD production from the RBs.  

More TD production from the RBs would be mean less goal line scores for Josh.  That doesn't put more points on the board.   

If you take $20 out of your left pocket and deposit it in your right pocket you don't have $40.  

3 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

More TD production from the RBs would be mean less goal line scores for Josh.  That doesn't put more points on the board.   

If you take $20 out of your left pocket and deposit it in your right pocket you don't have $40.  

Maybe, maybe not.

Wouldnt we all agree that the Bills should be putting up more points overall than they have in the past couple of seasons?

That means finishing more drives, getting more possessions, etc.

It's not unreasonable to think those additional TDs could/should come from the RBs considering our QB already scores a bunch himself, and the WRs are pretty much on league average.

If we're adding even just 1 more TD per game, 16 overall for the season, I'd think at least 8 of those could be from the RBs.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Maybe, maybe not.

Wouldnt we all agree that the Bills should be putting up more points overall than they have in the past couple of seasons?

That means finishing more drives, getting more possessions, etc.

It's not unreasonable to think those additional TDs could/should come from the RBs considering our QB scores a bunch himself, and the WRs are pretty much on league average.

The Bills were ok in red zone efficiency last year.  They were abysmal in red zone trips.  If I were offensive coordinator of the Bills and I wanted to make RB touchdowns the goal of my offense for special reasons, my first priority would be to upgrade one of the worst passing attacks in the NFL so my RBs would have more chances to carry the ball in scoring position.  

This isn't rocket science.  Look at the median distance of touchdown runs in the NFL.  Its as you might guess, under 10 yards.  So how do you score more rushing touchdowns? Get the ball inside the 10 or better yet, inside the 3 yard line. Well you can't do that when you're 26th in the league in getting the ball inside the 20 yard line on a per game basis.   

https://www.footballperspective.com/median-length-of-rushing-touchdown-2017/

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

It has now been 37 games since the start of the 2018 season, and we have a grand total of 8 rushing TDs by our RBs (4 in 2018, 4 in 2019, and 0 so far in 2020).  That is slightly less than 1 for every 4 games (1:4) and to me that is unsatisfactory, even if the QB averages 1 every two games (1:2).   Hopefully Moss can help with that, but the lack of RB production is really holding this team back to a certain degree in my opinion.  Additionally, TDs withstanding, do opposing defenses really fear our running game?  This kind of goes back to some poster's thoughts on constantly running RPOs instead of some more designed leads, counters, etc.  I think Dabol really needs to figure this out.  Thoughts?

If the run game sucked during the drought and it wasnt the drought because they made the playoffs I could not care less. That being said, the run game will work itself out. Points over rushing stats every day. I would love to see Moss & Motor get higher quality touches and bust some big runs but as long as this team wins im not talking negative about anything other than penalties or JA turnovers.

23 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

It has now been 37 games since the start of the 2018 season, and we have a grand total of 8 rushing TDs by our RBs (4 in 2018, 4 in 2019, and 0 so far in 2020).  That is slightly less than 1 for every 4 games (1:4) and to me that is unsatisfactory, even if the QB averages 1 every two games (1:2).   Hopefully Moss can help with that, but the lack of RB production is really holding this team back to a certain degree in my opinion.  Additionally, TDs withstanding, do opposing defenses really fear our running game?  This kind of goes back to some poster's thoughts on constantly running RPOs instead of some more designed leads, counters, etc.  I think Dabol really needs to figure this out.  Thoughts?

The Jets run defense was second best in the league last year as measured by DVOA. They are good at shutting down the run. https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/team-defense/2019

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

The Jets run defense was second best in the league last year as measured by DVOA. They are good at shutting down the run. https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/team-defense/2019

Got ya; thanks.  I was looking at a more holistic view over the past two years going into this year (hence the 37 games part).  We'll see how this year goes.

• 1 month later...

Update:  It has now been 42 games since the start of the 2018 season, and we have a grand total of 9 rushing TDs by our RBs (4 in 2018, 4 in 2019, and 1 so far in 2020).

Just thought I would bring this up again since we have only four rushing TDs this year and Allen has three of them.  While yesterday was one of the better running games, still wasn't exactly great.  Our rushing attack is struggling to beat four down lineman which allows the defense to sit in all these cover zones.

Edited by Lieutenant Aldo Raine

An oline we thought would be better due to continuity has been worse then last year in the run game.  

3 reasons:

1. The continuity is gone.  No Spain.  Feliciano out.  Ford to Guard then Left Guard.  Winters is so freaking bad.  Williams is meh.  

2.  Offensive philosophy.  More weapons and spread it out.  Turn Allen loose and use him to do....everything.  Especially inside the 10.

3. TEs are not good blockers.  

This absolutely has to be addressed because you cannot win in Buffalo in late fall (which is the first week of November) let alone thru January without an oline and running game to take the pressure off the QB in often windy conditions.  And keep the D honest.  The best Bills teams ever could run the ball to compliment the pass.

I think Singletary is a very good player.  Moss will be.  Problem is the line.  Its Morse and Dawkins right now.  Hopefully Feliciano helps turn it around.

• Like (+1) 2

On 9/15/2020 at 1:17 PM, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

How much better could be we be if the RBs produced more; that's my point?

Add in Allen’s TD runs, 

It doesn’t matter who scores the running TDs, RB or QB, as long as they are being scored, the real number is every  running TD scored regardless of who does the running.