Lack of RB Production is limiting this Team

8 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

How much better could be we be if the RBs produced more; that's my point?

The game plan was to throw, in part because the Jets have a weak secondary and a strong run defense. It's one game, jesus. If not for fumbles, we put up 40.

33 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

You are the only one who keeps bringing up Dobbins.

And you are missing the point. Never once did I say Singletary/Moss CANT break one. My point is it's not likely given their lack of speed on the field. 

Simple question, who has a better chance to break a big run, a fast RB with good vision or a slow RB with good vision? 

Don't try to skirt it Scott...you've complained about not drafting Dobbins multiple times.  That's why I'm bringing him up in this conversation.

You know what else isn't a given?  Breaking big runs to the house.  How many times does it happen in a season with a good RB?  1?  Maybe 2?

I want the better running back who can consistently get above 4 ypc and help move the chains.  

Did you really just ask me a question with one option having 2 positives and the other having 1 positive and 1 negative?

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They clearly prefer bruising backs ala Mike Tolbert.

It's just my opinion that a back with some speed to spell Singletary would be a nice change of pace and give the offense another dynamic out of the back field. This ***** is football not rocket science.

Well maybe, just maybe, that fits the style they are looking for where they CLEARLY keep bringing in guys like that?

I Dunno GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

13 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

I agree, but even Cam got good production from Stewart, Williams, and eventually McAffrey.  

The Panthers were completely one dimensional last year because McCaffrey became the offensive crutch. 

Their QB used him as a dump off option constantly and he dominated touches. Everyone else stagnated offensively. They stopped trying to push the ball down the field. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

2 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Dude, for the 100th time, I’m not focusing on Sunday; read the original post for context.

2 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Dude, for the 100th time, I’m not focusing on Sunday; read the original post for context.

You should focus on Sunday, because the last few seasons are irrelevant to this years team.

• Like (+1) 1

Lack of big running plays has a lot to do with the fact we haven't had a consistent passing game the last 2 years.  If you are stacking the box and daring a Qb to throw to beat you, unless that Qb beats you, your defense will close up most of the running lanes in a hurry.

Open up the passing game, where it becomes respectable, and defenses will no longer be able cheat down in the box.  Not being able to cheat is going to naturally free up space in which a Rb can be much more shifty, meet more 1 on 1 opportunities, and produce explosive runs.

We all know where our passing offense ranked the last two years....if we can move into middle of the pack I believe we will start seeing a lot more big runs be ripped off.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, TwistofFate said:

Lack of big running plays has a lot to do with the fact we haven't had a consistent passing game the last 2 years.  If you are stacking the box and daring a Qb to throw to beat you, unless that Qb beats you, your defense will close up most of the running lanes in a hurry.

Open up the passing game, where it becomes respectable, and defenses will no longer be able cheat down in the box.  Not being able to cheat is going to naturally free up space in which a Rb can be much more shifty, meet more 1 on 1 opportunities, and produce explosive runs.

We all know where our passing offense ranked the last two years....if we can move into middle of the pack I believe we will start seeing a lot more big runs be ripped off.

I agree, but I still believe we can get more TD production from the RBs.  

1 minute ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

I agree, but I still believe we can get more TD production from the RBs.  

We will, once we can pass more consistently.  Allen does eat up a ton of TDs in the redzone by himself too though.  Those touches would normally go to a RB.

1 minute ago, TwistofFate said:

We will, once we can pass more consistently.  Allen does eat up a ton of TDs in the redzone by himself too though.  Those touches would normally go to a RB.

True, but as I stated earlier, the majority of Allen’s rushing TDs are from broken plays and improvising compared to designed runs.

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I certainly preferred Dobbins to Moss. 

Moss looked slow to hit the hole on Sunday. 1 maybe 2? I guess you missed Derrick Henry last season.😅

https://www.nfl.com/players/derrick-henry/stats/career

Derrick Henry had 3 runs of 40+ yards in 2019, 2 in 2018, 2 in 2017 and zero in 2016.  So what's his 3 year average?  That would be 1.75 per year.

8 minutes ago, krf139 said:

For all the Moss love on this board,  he looked extremely slow and hesitant.  I get it's game #1 against a good defensive front, but not what I expected.

It’s definitely going to take a few games for him to adjust to NFL game speed...I’m not worried...he had a good run where he looked very strong...

I'm torn on this discussion. On one hand it would be nice to have some semblance of a running attack outside of Josh Allen. It would give our offense some balance. On the other hand it's a lot easier to build a consistent passing attack across multiple seasons than a consistent running attack. Greg Roman might be the only coach in the league that can do it every year. So I'm okay sacrificing some running ability from my RBs in exchange for good pass protection and pass catching. Moss didn't run very well but he had good pass protection and his TD catch was a veteran play - he followed Allen as he scrambled and settled into an open spot in the endzone.

It's mind boggling that people are complaining we didn't draft a RB in the 2nd round. That isn't where the league is heading. RBs can be drafted in the mid rounds. I love that we have an offense built to pass first. I am okay with the entire offense, rushes included, running through Josh Allen. That's how you win football games in 2020.

Edited by HappyDays

Buffalo made a strategic decision to focus on pass offense on Sunday because the Jets' strength on defense is against the run.  Devin Singletary had a few decent runs, but Moss was usually met in the backfield, not even getting a chance to build any forward momentum.  I'm not qualified to analyze video, so I don't try.  I assume the reason for Moss's ineffectiveness was mostly a mix of the Bills' blocking and the Jets sending more guys than Buffalo had blockers, not a lack of ability by Moss.  Singletary's YPC was nothing to write home about either.

5 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Again, this has nothing to do with Sunday.  But many of the drives are not ending in TDs, but in FG attempts and I believe the lack of RB contribution contributes to this.  We can disagree, no problem.

?

We scored 27 points and should have scored more.....

This really is a different biult offense then in previous years......I would just grab a beer and chill out for a few games

Edited by John from Riverside