Lack of RB Production is limiting this Team

Like Yolo said, this was a case of us gameplanning against their weaknesses, which was why we kept coming at them with 4 and even 5 WR's at once.   

We don't know what we have in Moss yet, but if you want to see more running you might get your wish vs Miami, they struggled against the run last year and vs Cam last week they looked slow.  They have two solid cb's in Xav Howard and Byron Jones, I would expect a stronger mix of runs.     

Shaq is a good add for the Fins run defense, will be interesting to see how he does out there.

Just now, Just Joshin' said:

I will file this with other game 1 over reactions.

If this continues for next 3 games then I will become concerned.

If you read my initial post; I'm not taking about one game.  I'm talking over two years!  Like I said, the Ravens have 28 rushing TDs to our 8 TDs outside of Lamar and Josh.  I think two years is enough to establish a trend.  I'm just saying if we can improve this area, how much better could we be?  Is that a rationale question to ask or just an overreaction?  

36 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

This is not a problem

Repeat, this is not a problem

Let's focus on winning by THROWING the football

THIS

The McKenzie pop passes are essentially runs disguised as passes.  If we can't get the running game going with Moss/Singletary, get them out in routes... Moss had a TD catch in his first game.  Singletary looked good in the screen game.   

There's other ways to use your RB's...

4 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

If you read my initial post; I'm not taking about one game.  I'm talking over two years!  Like I said, the Ravens have 28 rushing TDs to our 8 TDs outside of Lamar and Josh.  I think two years is enough to establish a trend.  I'm just saying if we can improve this area, how much better could we be?  Is that a rationale question to ask or just an overreaction?  

Like I said in my post, looking at the 2018 Bills Offense is worthless.  It was made up of leftovers and had a raw rookie QB.

Edited by ColoradoBills

With the WR talent that we have this year I would prefer passing the football 30+ times a game. I agree that we don't have a high profile RB but the two that we have are above average and both can catch. If the O-Line can keep pass blocking like it did in week 1 we need to be throwing the football a ton more this year. 

Both of our RB's are still very young and do different things well. I think we will get soild/good production out of our RB,s  I just don't want to see fumbles. This offense and team will now win on the arm of Allen. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Nope; honest question.  Do you care to imply a rational response?  Do you think this is an area where if got better production, we might be even better?

Yeah, here's my response.  Settle down, it's only week #1.  That was not the game plan.  Josh passed 46 times in the game.  When they need to pound the ball, Moss will be fine

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Yes they can.  They won't leave anyone in a cloud of dust but if they are good runners, they can take it to the house.  

Well in order to say that we need to see them do it. I don't think we will. Doesn't mean they can't be productive but I don't think either is a breakaway speed guy who gets through the line and then is gone 

49 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

I think that number is low because of Allen. 18 rushing touchdowns to this point of his career. If you add those into the totals, it looks stronger. 

But how many of those rushing TDs come off busted pass plays.  OPs point is no teams are basically scared of us scoring on them by running the ball.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Yes; but what if I told you we scored less rushing TDs in 2019 than we did in 2018.  15 total compared to 13.  

You can look at RB TDs in a vacuum if you want Lt.  The vast majority of TDs scored from outside the redzone are passing TDs.

Inside the redzone the only stat I'm concerned about is the % of TDs scored.  How they are scored does not matter at all.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Well in order to say that we need to see them do it. I don't think we will. Doesn't mean they can't be productive but I don't think either is a breakaway speed guy who gets through the line and then is gone 

How often does something like this happen?  Even the fastest RB's in the league might do it once a year?

What would you say is the minimum yardage that is considered "taking it to the house"?  I would say at least 50?

They won't smoke guys but as long as they don't just run in a straight line....they can do it.

I bet Singletary will have one run of over 50 yards to the house this year.  If he doesn't, I'll set you up with Matt Milano.

• Like (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

It has now been 37 games since the start of the 2018 season, and we have a grand total of 8 rushing TDs by our RBs (4 in 2018, 4 in 2019, and 0 so far in 2020).  That is slightly less than 1 for every 4 games (1:4) and to me that is unsatisfactory, even if the QB averages 1 every two games (1:2).   Hopefully Moss can help with that, but the lack of RB production is really holding this team back to a certain degree in my opinion.  Additionally, TDs withstanding, do opposing defenses really fear our running game?  This kind of goes back to some poster's thoughts on constantly running RPOs instead of some more designed leads, counters, etc.  I think Dabol really needs to figure this out.  Thoughts?

TDs scored is a silly measure of the effectiveness of our run game.  Who cares how the ball crosses the goal line?  Less rushing TDs is a factor of having the 10th worst scoring offense in the NFL.  8th most productive running game in terms of yards per game but 10th worst in overall scoring??? Sounds like the problem was NOT the running game.  

Yes, defenses are primarily concerned with stopping our running attack.  Greggo stacked the box and did everything he could to contain Allen.   

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I bet Singletary will have one run of over 50 yards to the house this year.  If he doesn't, I'll set you up with Matt Milano.

Done. But I am holding you to that promise. Give Matt one night with me he will definitely sign that extension. ;)