Lack of RB Production is limiting this Team

It has now been 37 games since the start of the 2018 season, and we have a grand total of 8 rushing TDs by our RBs (4 in 2018, 4 in 2019, and 0 so far in 2020).  That is slightly less than 1 for every 4 games (1:4) and to me that is unsatisfactory, even if the QB averages 1 every two games (1:2).   Hopefully Moss can help with that, but the lack of RB production is really holding this team back to a certain degree in my opinion.  Additionally, TDs withstanding, do opposing defenses really fear our running game?  This kind of goes back to some poster's thoughts on constantly running RPOs instead of some more designed leads, counters, etc.  I think Dabol really needs to figure this out.  Thoughts?

Edited by Lieutenant Aldo Raine
  • Haha (+1) 2

Daboll seems to tailor the game plan toward the opponent. This past week, it would not have been wise to try to run the ball vs a team where that was their only strength - when there were other areas to exploit, which they did. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

It has now been 37 games since the start of the 2018 season, and we have a grand total of 8 rushing TDs by our RBs (4 in 2018, 4 in 2019, and 0 so far in 2020).  That is slightly less than 1 for every 4 games (1:4) and to me that is unsatisfactory, even if the QB averages 1 every two games (1:2).   Hopefully Moss can help with that, but the lack of RB production is really holding this team back to a certain degree in my opinion.  Additionally, TDs withstanding, do opposing defenses really fear our running game?  This kind of goes back to some poster's thoughts on constantly running RPOs instead of some more designed leads, counters, etc.  I think Dabol really needs to figure this out.

In 2018, we had one of the worst offensive lines in league history.  

in 2019 our OL was better.  Better meaning average.  73 year old Frank Gore led our team

in carries.  Singletary averaged 5.1.  

Josh allen has more rushing TDs in his first 2 years than any QB history.  Handing the ball off on the goal line gives us one option.  Putting the ball in Josh’s hands, gives us two. 

i agree, I’d like to see our RBs get in the end zone more often, but that just means they’re going to have to score from further out.  When we’re down close, I think Josh should have the ball.  He’s done a helluva job down close so far.  

3 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Can you think of any runs where our RBs are breaking away runs to even score?  I can't think of any.

That’s just it.  If our RBs are going to score more, they’re gonna have to be better at scoring from outside the 10.  

Do you think it’s dabolls fault that we don’t break longer RB runs?

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

How much better could be we be if the RBs produced more; that's my point?

That's not the question. What resources would have altered to spend on increasing RB production? 

Also, you seem to be specifically honed in on long runs and touchdowns. 

Singletary was tied for 9th in the league on runs over 20 yards...how much better do you want them to be? 

It kinda feels like you're basing this a little too much on your feelings and not enough on reality. 

Please respond with numbers and examples. 

• Like (+1) 6

3 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

No. Because our RBs are slow. None have breakaway speed. 

This.

2018, there wasn’t one hole created the entire season.

2019- gore and singletary.  Slowwww and kinda slow.

2020- too early.  One game vs a very good run d

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

In 2018, we had one of the worst offensive lines in league history.  

in 2019 our OL was better.  Better meaning average.  73 year old Frank Gore led our team

in carries.  Singletary averaged 5.1.  

Josh allen has more rushing TDs in his first 2 years than any QB history.  Handing the ball off on the goal line gives us one option.  Putting the ball in Josh’s hands, gives us two. 

i agree, I’d like to see our RBs get in the end zone more often, but that just means they’re going to have to score from further out.  When we’re down close, I think Josh should have the ball.  He’s done a helluva job down close so far.  

That’s just it.  If our RBs are going to score more, they’re gonna have to be better at scoring from outside the 10.  

Do you think it’s dabolls fault that we don’t break longer RB runs?

Good Point.  Do you think we have the right style of RB for the RPO system?  

18 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

I think you have to consider designed run plays by Allen part of the answer.  Also it's only 1 game with Moss.  As mentioned above Bills had 8th best rushing attack last year and they added Moss, moved Ford to RG, signed D. Williams.  I don't think Bills are satisfied.

Just now, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Good Point.  Do you think we have the right style of RB for the RPO system?  

I would’ve liked to add a vertical speed threat at RB instead of Moss but I do like moss.  I think as long as our passing game continues to improve, our running game will do the same.  I can’t recall a game in which the opposing DC called a defense geared to stopping our pass.  When that starts to happen, the RB will get better opportunities 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Nope.

A back who could potentially take it to the house on every touch would be a perfect compliment to Singletary.

Or, a back who could potentially take it to the house on every touch would be a perfect complement to moss.....which is what I envision going forward.  I like motor, but I think moss brings more to the table overall

Just now, NewEra said:

I would’ve liked to add a vertical speed threat at RB instead of Moss but I do like moss.  I think as long as our passing game continues to improve, our running game will do the same.  I can’t recall a game in which the opposing DC called a defense geared to stopping our pass.  When that starts to happen, the RB will get better opportunities 

I like that thought.  There's a post about Allen being 91% of the offense, but do we really want that?  Don't we want that down some and RB production up some?