Would You Trade For Zach Ertz?

Buffalo03

35 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

No.  An Ertz signing guarantees that Milano falls off your roster.  Too high a cost.

Not really. 

Trade for Ertz and he'll fit almost perfectly into our current cap space thanks to dead money. We don't even need to trade anyone. We can get him for a 2nd and just eat his cap as is. 

You re-sign Ertz, sign him to a huge sign on (~20M, 4 years), and then backload the guaranteed money to years 3 and 4. That means next year you could lower his cap hit to ~7-9M.. Milano you can do the same, and his value is probably similar - so another 7-9M cap hit. So about 14- 18M you want to clear. 

Addison +6M

Quentin Spain (+4M)

Restructure Star (extend him 3 years, lower his cap hit to about 2-3M, save about 4M)

Vernon Butler (+6.8M)

Lee Smith (+2.2M)

And there you go. We already have AJ to replace Addison, we can easily draft a new starting gaurd, a backup DT, TE- and keep the only FA of note, Milano, and keep someone like Ertz. 

This van ABSOLUTELY happen. 

Bills should go for this, because their window is NOW.  

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Is Ertz related to any 'A list' celebrities?  Then we'll consider it.

How about a world cup winner?

Besides, the real issue is going to be Josh Allen. His cap number is going to up by ~ 30M in 2022, and that is going to be basically a brand new team outside the core - and you very much want Ertz to be a part of that core, as he should continue to be elite for another 4 years. 

10 minutes ago, appoo said:

How about a world cup winner?

As long as the network announcers can work it into the game broadcast at least once a half...🙄

And knowing how the membership here has a way of confusing the facts, Ertz will be related to Secretariat by the time we get done with the genealogy.

19 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I'd trade for Allen Robinson.....

The John Brown ~ Josh Allen Chemistry is too valuable to give that up right now (and you'd have to send Brown back the other way, or possibly Cole Beasley, but regardless that's a big change in the offense)

4 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I wouldnt simply cause of what we’d have to pay both in compensation and contract. 

The big point of question for me is whether or not we’re not using TE’s by choice, or by necessity. Knox looked good when he was out there, we just didn’t use him all that much. 

I'd have to watch the All-22 to verify this, but it seemed like Knox was used in the backfield as a blocker quite a bit yesterday.

The gameplan had more 10 personnel than I would have expected, and when Knox WAS in, he was often motioned into the backfield as a blocker.

The Bills seemed to say "we don't think your corners can cover our wide receivers". I think they felt that was the better matchup than, say, Knox against Marcus Maye.

I like Knox a lot and think he can be a top 10 TE in this league, so it will be interesting to see how the Bills use him going forward.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I don’t think they could afford him while planning to retain this core group of young players they’ve developed, for the long haul.  
But if they could manage to trade and extend him while keeping other pieces moving forward (safeties, Edmunds, Allen), then yeah, definitely. 
Not sure what the price would be since ATL gave up a 2nd for Hayden Hurst... but an elite TE is huge difference maker, look at the two teams in the Super Bowl last year, arguably the two best TEs in the game right now.

Brady with peak Gronk, and that other dude...

Manning had Dallas Clark...

Elway and Sharpe...

Elite TE’s seem to be a pretty big piece to the puzzle in terms of winning it all, and contending for a title consistently.

Knox is progressing, but definitely not on Ertz’s level.

2 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

As much as id like it we may be in line to give both Milano and Allen huge extensions at some point. 

It would be smarter to draft a TE in 1st round if we want an elite talent there. That way they would be on a rookie deal

This.. trading for Ertz means we give up draft capital AND lose Milano.   Highly doubtful we can give Ertz a new contract and keep Milano.  

There’s some filthy tight ends in the draft if we end up feeling the need to upgrade over/add to Knox.   

Brevin Jordan and Kyle Pitts immediately come to mind. 

Edited by SCBills