Would You Trade For Zach Ertz?

Buffalo03

9 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Why?  What does it accomplish other than putting the team in much worse cap trouble next season?  Since you seem to think this is a great idea, please tell us who all you plan to cut next season to pay for Ertz and all the other players that need to be re-signed like Milano, extensions to Edwards, and Allan for starters?  The method to being successful in the NFL these days is to get good to decent play from rookies ion cheap contracts sprinkled in with high priced high skilled players.  There's 3 or 4 threads already discussing whether the Bills will be able to afford Milano next year already and you're just trying to make it worse.

Knox had think it was 2 catches on 3 targets I saw??  With the WR the Bills have it makes more sense to play 3 WR than 2 TE to start with.  And even with whomever is at TE with the WR's the team has, how many targets is the TE actually going to see?  Will be surprised if Knox's numbers this year are much better than last year mainly because he won't be targeted as much.  Your logic is to sit or take focus away from a cheap rookie contract for potentially a small improvement. 

And lastly we really have no idea how good Knox may even be and by bringing in someone like Ertz, you're taking playing time away from Knox so we may never know.  Take away last seasons drops from Knox and he had a hell of a rookie season considering how weak the overall offense still was.

Stick to your day job!

Stick to my day job? dude....relax

31 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

Nope.  He is a good TE but at his peak.  Combine that with Knox who is ascending, giving up a high pick and the cap impact makes this a no.

Nonsense!!  Everyone knows the fastest way to build a winner is to sign the guys who are all at the top of their game and the top of their contract demands!!

I would say no to Ertz. In the next 3 drafts, they should take 1 more RB somewhere in rounds 3 and 4 but should take TEs in 2 of the drafts somewhere in rounds 2-4. Then they have developmental players at all the skill positions on rookie contracts, they develop and provide depth. That way they can pay their core players (Milano, Allen, Edmunds). 

Also keep picking WRs. Davis and Hodgins are a good start, I would think Beasley will not get a 2nd contract. The way Brown is playing they will keep him. 

30 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Sorry I just don't handle dumb ideas well!

I don't necessarily think it was that dumb of an idea. Trust me, I've seen tons of dumb ideas and wouldn't have posted this if I legitimately thought it was. Most people on here are not necessarily thinking it's a bad idea, they would however like not to because they would rather have Knox develop. Which I am also for

I watched Ertz in person a bunch in grad school. Wanted to draft him soooo bad. He made Kevin Hogan. 

I honestly don't know how our fan base would react with an elite TE, lol. We're just not accustomed to them, although it always jumps off the screen to me when I watch teams with uber productive TEs. 

I started this thread like a week before game 1 when word of Ertz's contract issues surfaced. 

Here's the thing - The Bills likely have a 2-3 year window at most. 

1) Allen likely gets paid next year

2) Milano will get paid this off season 

3) In 2 years, Oliver will get paid

4) John Brown and Cole Beasley probably will degrade next year 

5) Quinton Spain is 29, Mitch Morse is 28, Daryl Williams is 28, Ty Neshke is 34. Outside of Ford, Dawkins and Bates the line is going to have to get overhauled in about 2 years .

CURRENTLY, the Bills have a glaring hole at not only TE, but in terms of a large target in general. We don't have size outside of the rookie, other than a very aberage TE in Dawson Knox. 

Ertz is one of the 3 best TEs in the League, flat out, in his prime. His cap hit, if sign and extend for 3 years, would be about $12M. 5.3M in Cap Space now, about $4M next year, and we can easily free up more with off season cuts to folks like Mario Addison (+6M),  Star (+4M), and Cole Beasley (+4M).

Adding Ertz means you eat a bit of depth by replacing vets with rookies or cheap F/A NEXT year, but it also means you have an even better shot at winning this thing this year or next year. 

You do this every opportunity you get. Ertz turns a really good offense, to one of the 3 best in the NFL, with probably the best weapons of any team in the league.