GR Stat of the day, re: Bills vs Jets

Buftex

Forgive me if this is already being discussed elsewhere...

So, the Bills ran a four WR receiver set on 23 plays this past Sunday.  They only did that 6 times, the entirety of the 2019 season.

I am not predicting wins or losses...but I think we are starting what is going to be a hell of an entertaining season!

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I also think they did this because the Jets have a really good run defense and their weakness is their secondary.  I thought that minus so many qbs runs, it was a great game plan.

i remember the Pats played the Vikings when they had the number 1 defense and passed the first 15 plays in a row.  You need to play to to ur strengths but also take advantage of the opponent’s weaknesses.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I also think they did this because the Jets have a really good run defense and their weakness is their secondary.  I thought that minus so many qbs runs, it was a great game plan.

i remember the Pats played the Vikings when they had the number 1 defense and passed the first 15 plays in a row.  You need to play to to ur strengths but also take advantage of the opponent’s weaknesses.

Yep, like why Garrett kept trying to run the ball against Pittsburgh last night was mind boggling. The pass was working, heck even the pass the Barkley worked. Running the ball was useless. Take what the D gives you. When the D adjusts to stop the pass, you adjust and call some runs. 

• Like (+1) 1

I remember hearing that Daboll will have very different gameplans depending on the matchup but I just don't think we had the right personnel over the past two seasons to see those gameplans in action. I expect this year to be different. The Jets have a great run defense and poor corners? Ok, then we'll run four wide a ton. Miami has great corners and a subpar front 7? Expect Lee Smith to be active and a heavy dose of the run game and tight ends in the passing game.

• Like (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

This 

12 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

this is what the pats do so well.  they just hammer opponents weaknesses.  or weakness.  vrabel learned from bill and gave him his own medicine in the playoffs by holding tannehill to like 7 passes or whatever it was.  i dont think i've seen mcd do that on a consistent basis.  we need to adjudt to each opponent. 

7 minutes ago, patzen said:

I remember hearing that Daboll will have very different gameplans depending on the matchup but I just don't think we had the right personnel over the past two seasons to see those gameplans in action. I expect this year to be different. The Jets have a great run defense and poor corners? Ok, then we'll run four wide a ton. Miami has great corners and a subpar front 7? Expect Lee Smith to be active and a heavy dose of the run game and tight ends in the passing game.

6 minutes ago, GG said:

The other obvious reason is they didn't have the horses last year to run that formation.

We sort of saw it last year when the 1st game against the Jets - the Bills threw on 12+ straight plays to start the game.

The difference is the “horses” as @GG stated.  We can now run 4 legit WRs and even 5WRs or 4 with Singletary out wide also.

Nice to have a few pieces.

18 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

There was only a few QB runs called by Daboll.

The quick emergence of Gabriel Davis drives this.  McKenzie and Roberts and Duke or whoever might have made the roster don't add a lot, but Davis does. 

But I think the more important point is that running four-wide requires excellent decision making by the QB.  When you go four wide, the best defense is to get to the QB and force him to get the ball out in a hurry, because it doesn't take too long before one or more of those wideouts will get open.  The QB needs to be able to make good pre- and post-snap reads and make the right choice as to where to go with the ball.  Allen was quite good at that Sunday.   He seemed to have a real command of where to attack the defense. 

Also, there were several plays where Singletary was spliit wide and Allen motioned him back into the backfireld, presumably because Allen understood that the defense was forcing him to get an extra blocker in the protection scheme. 

Finally, the Bills have been clear - they want to play all styles.  They did it against the Jets, as others have said, because they expected the run defense to be tough to crack, and it worked well to take that approach.  Now it's on film, and the message to upcoming opponents is "you have to prepare for the four-wide."  And it isn't just any four guys - it's Diggs and Brown and Beasley, each of whom is a serious threat in his own right, and it's this rookie who's a big target and who can run and catch.  Or it's Singletary.   That's a lot to contend with. 

Thanks for pointing out this stat.  It's interesting. 

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Agree completely. Another takeaway is that the Bills now actually have the players to run this set. 

When you factor in the fact that they also have one proven RB, a promising rookie and a running QB, there is a tremendous amount to game plan for. 

Of course we haven’t even touched on Knox catching and that the line was adequate in pass pro. 

Love it!

37 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

The quick emergence of Gabriel Davis drives this.  McKenzie and Roberts and Duke or whoever might have made the roster don't add a lot, but Davis does. 

Davis has some work to do in blocking, but nice that he contributed some catches.  

• Like (+1) 1