What does Darnold's performance say about Jordan Palmer?

cage

It's interesting that both Allen and Darnold work out together all off-season and both have been religiously working with Jordan Palmer.  It appears to have had a positive affect on Josh as he's steadily improved and we saw that in his passing this Sunday as he starts his 3rd year.  Here is the write-up on Darnold's performance on The Athletic after reviewing the tape

Sorry, paid site link, but I'll quote a bit of it:

https://theathletic.com/2064818/2020/09/14/after-further-review-23-next-day-thoughts-after-the-jets-week-1-beatdown/

"We talked a lot about Darnold after the game. It felt warranted after the quarterback’s poor performance. After watching the film on Monday, I probably wasn’t harsh enough on the 23-year-old.

The biggest concern on rewatch, though, was Darnold’s footwork. Adam Gase and Dowell Loggains have done everything they can to hammer the need for Darnold to align his footwork with his body. He has a tendency to to align himself one way, see something somewhere else, then move his torso without resetting his feet to try to hit his target. Seldom, if ever, does this lead to an accurate pass. The Jets might get away with it — but it’s not smart.

There were several times where Darnold, despite this being a point of emphasis last season and over the offseason, went back to his old ways."

I don’t recall one pass that Darnold threw in the first half where his feet were set.

That was mostly due to the fact that there was no pocket to throw from.  He doesn’t appear to have the ability to move away from trouble before throwing (or at least he doesn’t seem to think to do that). There were a lot of throws he made while taking a slight hop and it most definitely affected his accuracy. 

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

religiously working with Jordan Palmer?

Perhaps they're not genuflecting, but they both worked with him exclusively leading up to the draft and every off-season since.  How is... dedicated to working with Jordan Palmer to improve their craft

Edited by cage

Darnold looks like the same guy from USC except he is playing with all professional athletes. What does it say about Jordan Palmer? Can't turn a ho into a house wife. That being said any time somebody on the other team loses and looks bad doing it I try to think of it as a positive since winning is the best outcome of any game. Maybe Jordan Palmer can offer some tips in the run game though...

• Like (+1) 2

It says nothing about Palmer; teachers aren't miracle workers.

Darnold's performance may say something about Darnold himself or about his supporting cast. He doesn't have much to work with, and the Bills D gave him a hard time Sunday, so I wouldn't lay it all on his shoulders just yet.

• Like (+1) 1

It simply says that no two players (or people) are the same and everyone is not equally capable of attaining the same levels of achievement.

This is my issue with the social movement today. If you put any two people in the same place with, or without the same tools, both of them will seldom end up with the same level of success.

Such it is in this case.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, cage said:

It's interesting that both Allen and Darnold work out together all off-season and both have been religiously working with Jordan Palmer.  It appears to have had a positive affect on Josh as he's steadily improved and we saw that in his passing this Sunday as he starts his 3rd year.  Here is the write-up on Darnold's performance on The Athletic after reviewing the tape

https://theathletic.com/2064818/2020/09/14/after-further-review-23-next-day-thoughts-after-the-jets-week-1-beatdown/

"We talked a lot about Darnold after the game. It felt warranted after the quarterback’s poor performance. After watching the film on Monday, I probably wasn’t harsh enough on the 23-year-old.

The biggest concern on rewatch, though, was Darnold’s footwork. Adam Gase and Dowell Loggains have done everything they can to hammer the need for Darnold to align his footwork with his body. He has a tendency to to align himself one way, see something somewhere else, then move his torso without resetting his feet to try to hit his target. Seldom, if ever, does this lead to an accurate pass. The Jets might get away with it — but it’s not smart.

There were several times where Darnold, despite this being a point of emphasis last season and over the offseason, went back to his old ways."

Says Darnold isnt taking the mechanic Training like Josh is....  

Guess Josh is much more coachable.

• Like (+1) 2

I think Allen has had so many less reps than guys like Darnold and Mayfield, and at such a lower level (JUCO & Wyoming Versus Elite 11 camps & USC for Darnold), that Allen might just be more moldable. 

I think this is what everyone missed that noted Allen’s inaccuracy. He was way behind on reps. He could be molded to whatever you can turn him into. Whereas most of these guys come into the league (even as young as Darnold was) a much more finished product just due to the malignity of muscle memory they have imprinted on all of these motions. 

• Like (+1) 3

26 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

I think it says more about Darnold's ability and desire to change.  Josh is driven, Darnold does not appear to be driven to be the best.

I would agree with that.  We all noted Josh's lack of experience (compared with Darnold/Mayfield etc.) coming out of the draft but could it actually become an advantage over time rather than a disadvantage in that he entered the NFL in no doubt that he needed to devote himself to improving as much as he can on all facets of his game.  Whereas some of the other guys potentially thought their skill levels were at a level that they didn't fully embrace that improvement mindset like Josh has.

just a theory.

• Like (+1) 2

Regarding his footwork, it’s a poise issue combined with a “my arm strength alone can get it done because it always has previously” mindset. I think the lack of poise in the pocket comes from from all the ghosts he has seen his first two years and he rushes things as a result. And he just hasn’t learned that his arm alone won’t bail him out like it did at every previous level he’s competed at. 

7 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

I think Allen has had so many less reps than guys like Darnold and Mayfield, and at such a lower level (JUCO & Wyoming Versus Elite 11 camps & USC for Darnold), that Allen might just be more moldable. 

I think this is what everyone missed that noted Allen’s inaccuracy. He was way behind on reps. He could be molded to whatever you can turn him into. Whereas most of these guys come into the league (even as young as Darnold was) a much more finished product just due to the malignity of muscle memory they have imprinted on all of these motions. 

Malignity of muscle memory. That’s a first in these parts. Outstanding!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

49 minutes ago, cage said:

One of the things said to be a big strength of Darnold coming out of college was being able to throw accurately on the move - and he was moving a lot on Sunday.

It seemed to me he made a number of throws that were "accurate enough" and a better WR would have held on to.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

This is my issue with the social movement today. If you put any two people in the same place with, or without the same tools, both of them will seldom end up with the same level of success.

The social movement is about making sure they have the same tools.

• Like (+1) 1