I just got a speeding ticket in a school zone. Is it worth fighting?

Brennan Huff

38 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Open or not most speed limits near schools are 25 MPH.

When school is open and the light is flashing then it drops to 15 MPH.

Kids still like to use the fields or rec areas of schools 

never said anything about the posted limit, only that it was reduced during certain periods.

:thumbsup:

44 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Open or not most speed limits near schools are 25 MPH.

When school is open and the light is flashing then it drops to 15 MPH.

Kids still like to use the fields or rec areas of schools 

Now if school's open but it's 100% remote, are those lights still blinking?  I've always assumed those lights were pre-programmed to blink on those weekdays, but maybe that's not the case.  I have a school zone pretty much right up the street that I'm driving through a lot.  Their lights are blinking, but right now there are zero kids.  The police station is also on the same road, so I'm sure there's more than enough opportunities to pull people over.  I'm mostly thinking out loud here, but I have no idea whether or not they could hold people to that school zone speed right now.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

33 in 15. I didn’t realize it was 15 but I probably should have. I know I should at least go to traffic court but should I get a lawyer? Any help would be appreciated 

Read Sig1Hunter's response and follow his advice. The officer told you to go to court and he would help you out. It wouldn't be prudent for him to be too explicit but he gave you a  signal that is loud and clear. As others have pointed out sometimes it is in the local jurisdiction's interest to settle with you and keep more of the fine instead of paying it to the State. 

• Like (+1) 2

Cops never help you out.  That's what the news says.  Don't  fall for the good cop, bad cop ploy.  All they  want is your tax money so they can retire on your dime  at 50.  If I were you, I would  have ran  from the scene.  That ALWAYS works against  blood-sucking jackboots with guns.

Jeeze, I wish  you  would have called me first:

1.800.URS-CREWd

Sorry. Nice knowing you.

10 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Go to court, plead not guilty, have it knocked down to a non-moving violation, pay a hefty fine, get sent to driving school for a day...problem solved.

...and stop speeding in a school zone.

And keep dreaming while he's  at it!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Cops never help you out.  That's what the news says.  Don't  fall for the good cop, bad cop ploy.  All they  want is your tax money so they can retire on your dime  at 50.  If I were you, I would  have ran  from the scene.  That ALWAYS works against  blood-sucking jackboots with guns.

Jeeze, I wish  you  would have called me first:

1.800.URS-CREWd

Sorry. Nice knowing you.

And keep dreaming while he's  at it!

Last time I got pulled over with drugs in a school zone I just gave the cop the finger and drove away... He shot my tire out and arrested me but the charges were less than having drugs in the school zone:unsure:

Just kidding, there are a lot of cops out there that will help you out if you just give them some simple respect knowing they have a job to do...

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

33 in 15. I didn’t realize it was 15 but I probably should have. I know I should at least go to traffic court but should I get a lawyer? Any help would be appreciated 

So, the best outcome besides flat out dismissal or the officer not showing is pleading to a non-moving violation,or “illegal parking” or whatever they call it. Sometimes they combine that with a need to take def driving course. 

Often, the deal is they offer to agree to reduce points and make it go away, but the plea is for “disobeyed traffic device”. While less points on license, you’re saying that instead of driving recklessly at a high rate of speed you only drove recklessly through a stop sign.    

I was stopped a few years ago for 83 in 65 on NYS near Utica, drove back out for hearing, prosecutor offered the def driving and parking ticket option which o gratefully accepted.   Still cost me a couple hundred, but no points/no tickets on my abstract.  And, I was speeding so there is that. 

Def worth showing up v pleading guilty by mail. 

• Like (+1) 1

Used to be a school zone about a mile down my street. I went cruising through there one morning going 25-30 in a 15. Saw the cop in the cemetery he was in hit the lights and just pulled over. Guy gave me a lecture that I should know better living on that street.  Then said I'll attribute it to your driving with your head up your ass this morning and know we'll be out here a lot more this year. That was that and let me go

12 hours ago, Steve O said:

Then that's what you should do, without a lawyer. 

Brother had a cop say the same thing. Was a small town and only people that had court that day was my brother and another guy. She tried to talk to my brother before court and when he said he was pleading not guilty she threatened him with a bunch of bullstuff charges. I chimed in saying that’s illegal and she threatened me with arrest. I started recording her and she lost her mind. 

NEVER EVER BELIEVE A POLICE OFFICER. THEY ARE NOT HERE TO HELP YOU. THEY ARE NOT HERE TO SERVE OR PROTECT. Always record any interaction. Be polite but you have rights and they’re just here to provide a revenue stream for the state. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

53 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:NEVER EVER BELIEVE A POLICE OFFICER. THEY ARE NOT HERE TO HELP YOU. THEY ARE NOT HERE TO SERVE OR PROTECT. Always record any interaction. Be polite but you have rights and they’re just here to provide a revenue stream for the state. 

Does this include McGruff. For a dog in a trench coat, he seems trustworthy. 

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

As people have stated, in NYS one should never plead guilty to a speeding ticket. When you do that all of the fine money goes to the state and the points on your license will cause your insurance rates to escalate. By going to traffic court, they will almost always offer you a plea deal to reduce the infraction to parking tickets. They offer this because the municipality where the infraction occurred keeps the revenue from parking tickets, not NYS.

You will pay a fine, but no points will go on your license and your insurance rates will not rise.

Now, what I am unsure of is what the post-Covid court situation is like. I believe that most courts are currently virtual, with Skype sessions being the norm. I would attempt to call your local court to see what the current protocol is.

wow— who knew they gamed the system like that?! that’s nuts. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Brother had a cop say the same thing. Was a small town and only people that had court that day was my brother and another guy. She tried to talk to my brother before court and when he said he was pleading not guilty she threatened him with a bunch of bullstuff charges. I chimed in saying that’s illegal and she threatened me with arrest. I started recording her and she lost her mind. 

NEVER EVER BELIEVE A POLICE OFFICER. THEY ARE NOT HERE TO HELP YOU. THEY ARE NOT HERE TO SERVE OR PROTECT. Always record any interaction. Be polite but you have rights and they’re just here to provide a revenue stream for the state. 

Yeah.  Traffic court is a sham.  Nothing but a money  maker.  If it was truly  about safety, they wouldn't  punish monetarily.  What does paying out have to do with driving safe? It just gets  people more pissed off and they double next time.  The ones  that suffer at the hands  of this sham the most are the ones that can  least afford  it.  Working families are being pinched. The gov't is stealing  money  from  their table in the name of safety.  Anybody can always hide behind safety.

43 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

It's gov't, they have their  ways of getting  money  out of you.

ALWAYS GO TO COURT.  At the very least it drives up the cost of doing business.  And of course you  want to face your accuser in person.  People are innocent until proven guilty in this country. 

15 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

Same thing happened to me a few years ago, stopped by a cop for legit 45 in a 30 school zone, 1st and only ticket in 30 years in MD. I showed up in court, immediately pleaded ‘nolo contendere’, paid the fine (around $60 or so), and moved on. All I cared about was no points and no insurance hike.

Edited by Rico
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Just like everyone else is doing.

Almost everyone here that said they went to court to fight it admitted that they did do what they were ticketed for and instead of just paying the fine and taking the punishment, they go in to plead not guilty or ask for a plea to a lesser charge or just hope the ticket gets tossed because the officer doesn't show up in court. I don't get how the courts can take a speeding charge and turn it into something about parking?

10 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Just like everyone else is doing.

Almost everyone here that said they went to court to fight it admitted that they did do what they were ticketed for and instead of just paying the fine and taking the punishment, they go in to plead not guilty or ask for a plea to a lesser charge or just hope the ticket gets tossed because the officer doesn't show up in court. I don't get how the courts can take a speeding charge and turn it into something about parking?

Because just like drug dealers, the government would kill it's customers and run out of people.  Everybody would  be walking. 

I guess  that's safety after all!