I just got a speeding ticket in a school zone. Is it worth fighting?

Brennan Huff

Not sure in what state you got the ticket, but I know several parts of the country have places like, "The Ticket Clinic."  Basically a law firm that only handles traffic violations.  Several of these I have used.  They basically have a flat fee per offense, in my case it was $115 for a 13 mile over speeding ticket.  They guarantee the ticket to be dropped.  If they lose, they refund your $115 fee.  

These types of organizations worked for me.  I see it as a no brainer as you get the lawyer for free in the event they can't help you.  

7 minutes ago, IslandBillsFan said:

Not sure in what state you got the ticket, but I know several parts of the country have places like, "The Ticket Clinic."  Basically a law firm that only handles traffic violations.  Several of these I have used.  They basically have a flat fee per offense, in my case it was $115 for a 13 mile over speeding ticket.  They guarantee the ticket to be dropped.  If they lose, they refund your $115 fee.  

These types of organizations worked for me.  I see it as a no brainer as you get the lawyer for free in the event they can't help you.  

Is this legit? I’m in NY state

Some municipalities would rather keep the money than send it to Albany. Try writing to the local DA and see if they'll knock it down to something like a parking ticket. It'll still cost you money, but it won't put any points on your license. 

• Like (+1) 3

When my son was under 25 I used to joke we had attorney on speed dial to deal with traffic tickets. He could not afford the insurance bump. If you pay an attorney, it "should" be converted to a non-points ticket. It will cost you the attorney fee + the ticket and court fees, but no points to your license.

Good luck.

3 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

Im sure there were school zone signs, I’m just an idiot. The cop wasn’t a dick or anything he told me to show up to court and he’d help me out

I’m not sure “I’m just an idiot” qualifies as a valid legal defense, but if he’s willing to back you up and testify “yes, your honor, he is in fact an idiot”, I’d love to hear how it goes!   :)

My mom got a ticket in a school zone once. It was expensive. I doubt I’d pay for an attorney, but if showing can reduce the fine or the points, it’s worth your time. Maybe he won’t show? Does it then get thrown out? 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brennan Huff said:

Is this legit? I’m in NY state

Dude, the cop told you to show and court and he would help you out. If you have the time, i would follow his suggestion. If he doesn’t show, you win. If he shows, hopefully he can work with you and get the fine knocked down or the points removed. The ticket clinic is a rip off (i have a good friend who is an attorney with them) unless you just flat out don’t have the time to go to court yourself. They won’t do anything that you can’t do yourself. 

if you have a horrid driving record, i’d prob just pay it. The judge can jack up your fine in court if they want to. 

Edited by Sig1Hunter
  • Like (+1) 3

As people have stated, in NYS one should never plead guilty to a speeding ticket. When you do that all of the fine money goes to the state and the points on your license will cause your insurance rates to escalate. By going to traffic court, they will almost always offer you a plea deal to reduce the infraction to parking tickets. They offer this because the municipality where the infraction occurred keeps the revenue from parking tickets, not NYS.

You will pay a fine, but no points will go on your license and your insurance rates will not rise.

Now, what I am unsure of is what the post-Covid court situation is like. I believe that most courts are currently virtual, with Skype sessions being the norm. I would attempt to call your local court to see what the current protocol is.

17 minutes ago, shrader said:

Is the school even open?  I'm not sure whether or not that matters, but I'm curious.

not positive but I think the reduced speed limit only applies when school is in session or a school activity is in progress.

50 minutes ago, Foxx said:

not positive but I think the reduced speed limit only applies when school is in session or a school activity is in progress.

Open or not most speed limits near schools are 25 MPH.

When school is open and the light is flashing then it drops to 15 MPH.

Kids still like to use the fields or rec areas of schools 

• Like (+1) 1