Diggs VS draft

Dat

1 hour ago, Dat said:

I was curious about the rookie WR's and started looking their game 1 stats up. Thought in case anyone else was interested I would post.

I understand it's one game, means virtually nothing and "get back to me after the season" applies.

In the order of the draft

REC  Yds  Targets

Diggs       8/86  9

Ruggs      3/55  5

Jeudy       4/56  8

Lamb        5/59  6

Reagor     1/55  4

Jefferson 2/26  3

Aiyuk         0/0

Higgins      0/0

Pittman     2/10

Shenault    3/37

Hamler       0/0

Claypool     2/39

Jefferson    1/31

Mims           0/0

Gibson         2/8

Bowden       0/0

Edwards      1/9

Duverny       1/12

Davis            2/16

GandyG        0/0

It might be interesting to also list salaries.   Also, comparing a 5 year vet to WR's in their first game where there was no offseason or preseason is kind of ridiculous.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Conventional wisdom is it usually takes a couple seasons for a receiver to acclimate to the NFL before they reach their full potential.  There are exceptions, but that's the rule.  Buffalo is in win now mode.  Diggs fits that circumstance better than a rookie.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Conventional wisdom is it usually takes a couple seasons for a receiver to acclimate to the NFL before they reach their full potential.  There are exceptions, but that's the rule.  Buffalo is in win now mode.  Diggs fits that circumstance better than a rookie.  

"Win now" and importantly, "Help the young QB on his rookie contract now" too. 

3 minutes ago, mattynh said:

It might be interesting to also list salaries.   Also, comparing a 5 year vet to WR's in their first game where there was no offseason or preseason is kind of ridiculous.  

You may have missed this in my post "I understand it's one game, means virtually nothing and "get back to me after the season" applies." But thanks.

Although, I pay Diggs for the exact reason you bring up. With no offseaon or preseason he is worth the difference in pay if the Bills want to win now.

• Like (+1) 3

22 minutes ago, Dat said:

You may have missed this in my post "I understand it's one game, means virtually nothing and "get back to me after the season" applies." But thanks.

Although, I pay Diggs for the exact reason you bring up. With no offseaon or preseason he is worth the difference in pay if the Bills want to win now.

Sorry, multi tasking.  So early returns from Diggs vs a rookie is expected.....long term we will see.  It was probably a good trade for where the Bills are.

Edited by mattynh

11 minutes ago, mattynh said:

Sorry, multi tasking.  So early returns from Diggs vs a rookie is expected.....long term we will see.  It was probably a good trade for where the Bills are.

Yes, that's what I'm thinking. Plus the fact that he was more of a know commodity (separation, catch rate, 1000 yd season) is worth something. As much as the rookies may look great only time will tell if they can perform at the next level consistently, and when they have to go against the #1 CB or double covered.

Edited by Dat

1 hour ago, Charles Romes said:

It unfortunate that Bill OBrien giving away deondre on the same day took the luster off what should be seen as a great trade. 

took luster off? According to whom, the national media?  **** them.  I was ecstatic then and even more so after one game.  An amazing trade 

43 minutes ago, Doc said:

And that's with Diggs as a #1.  The others weren't.

Jeudy was.

No question Diggs was the best player on the Bills on Sunday. He is the real thing and delivered. First time in years we have had a true #1. But just looking at the stats you can't argue Lamb delivered in just his first NFL game. I did not see the game and just judging on the given stats, but a very impressive 1st NFL game. He might be a real winner. Time will tell. But Diggs is the real thing in the RIGHT NOW!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Dat said:

I was curious about the rookie WR's and started looking their game 1 stats up. Thought in case anyone else was interested I would post.

I understand it's one game, means virtually nothing and "get back to me after the season" applies.

In the order of the draft

REC  Yds  Targets

Diggs       8/86  9

Ruggs      3/55  5

Jeudy       4/56  8

Lamb        5/59  6

Reagor     1/55  4

Jefferson 2/26  3

Aiyuk         0/0

Higgins      0/0

Pittman     2/10

Shenault    3/37

Hamler       0/0

Claypool     2/39

Jefferson    1/31

Mims           0/0

Gibson         2/8

Bowden       0/0

Edwards      1/9

Duverny       1/12

Davis            2/16

GandyG        0/0

Not only with Diggs Production.  One thing to look at is also how much he opens up the field for Brown.  Granted Brown is an excellent WR to get open himself as well, but what are you going to do with these two.  Jets played alot of Cover 2 because both Diggs and Brown can take the top off, that opened up the underneath and screen games, because they played so much cover 2.

Watch what happens when there isnt 2 safeties over the top of Brown and Diggs.  I also knew Diggs hands were good, but dang when was the last time we had a WR that took the hits he took all game and held onto the ball?

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, simpleman said:

No question Diggs was the best player on the Bills on Sunday. He is the real thing and delivered. First time in years we have had a true #1. But just looking at the stats you can't argue Lamb delivered in just his first NFL game. I did not see the game and just judging on the given stats, but a very impressive 1st NFL game. He might be a real winner. Time will tell. But Diggs is the real thing in the RIGHT NOW!

Lamb is my guy.  I feel he’s going to be a perennial all pro for several seasons.  Jeudys cutting ability is unmatched and if he has a decent qb, will be right there with him.  Ruggs could be better than both, but he’s my #3.

that said,  they were all off the board when we picked.  I don’t really include those guys in the equation.  The picks we traded for Diggs wouldn’t have gotten us high enough to grab them.  

Diggs be the rest of the WR class, it’s an easy choice.  We won

10 minutes ago, simpleman said:

Lamb wasn’t really an option for us.

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah, the Bills are a better team with Diggs on it than a rookie.  I don’t think it’s debatable.  But if one of these guys becomes Jerry Rice, it would be an interesting conversation.  

but without a doubt for this year, Diggs would be the top pick out of these guys.

sure, the trick is you need to call it in April 2020 for it to mean anything.

In retrospect it will be no different than the imbeciles who missed on obvious hall of famers like Brady, Wilson. 

And I don’t see any of these guys as clear cut elite just yet... 

personally I’m pretty optimistic about Gabe Davis as well. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1

Listed as the starters.....and then jeudy goes in and plays the #1 for the entire game.  If you’re the DC, do you game plan for Hamilton or Patrick.....or jeudy?  He had 8 targets. Hamilton and Patrick has 8 combined.  

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah, the Bills are a better team with Diggs on it than a rookie.  I don’t think it’s debatable.  But if one of these guys becomes Jerry Rice, it would be an interesting conversation.  

but without a doubt for this year, Diggs would be the top pick out of these guys.

Even if one of these guys becomes Jerry Rice it won't necessarily matter so long as Diggs is productive right away and our stacked roster makes a run or two or three at a championship. When your roster is as loaded as ours, you're not exactly drafting for a couple years down the road. And how many of these highly touted first rounders have become elite even after a few years? You're just as likely to land an elite WR later in the draft, especially in a year that was so deep at the position. We took a swing on Gabe Davis and so far he looks solid. We have our win-now stud and our developmental player too. 

15 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

sure, the trick is you need to call it in April 2020 for it to mean anything.

In retrospect it will be no different than the imbeciles who missed on obvious hall of famers like Brady, Wilson. 

And I don’t see any of these guys as clear cut elite just yet... 

personally I’m pretty optimistic about Gabe Davis as well. 

Well, Brady and Wilson weren’t 1st rounders so it’s not exactly apples to apples.  I was really high on Lamb and it is a good class.  But Diggs is huge for us. 

I guess the way to look at it is easier to bring a young receiver in when you have an established guy.  Diggs is perfect for Allen. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doc said:

No.  I'm saying producing as a #1 with the opposing team's top CB on you means more.

Oh, ok. But it could also mean more targets.

Anyway, I think it is pretty ridiculous to compare these guys right now.