Is the "read option" by the Bills something you like?

LB48

Josh has the skills to run on any play effectively. He's especially good avoiding the pass rush and escaping for a run.

With the read-option Josh reads the initial path of the edge defender (DE or OLB) and the OL zone blocks regardless of the defensive alignment.  Then he decides to pull the ball from the running back or run himself based on his read.

Was this a special game plan for the Jets?  Is it based on some doubts about the OL and running the ball?

With 4 very good receivers, a strong TE option and 2 young RB's.   I hate to see Josh taking hits as a RB. Keep him in the pocket.

Comments please.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I’m happy that we’re implementing it.  It’s just another thing the opposing defenses have to account for and can open up our offense even more.  

I’ll be happier about it when JA gets a friggin clue on how to read it.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

it was part of the game plan because they know the Jets struggled against it last year, particularly killed by Baltimore with Lamar running it.

So, whoever is on our schedule that played the Ravens last year we can expect the same game plan :) .

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’m happy that we’re implementing it.  It’s just another thing the opposing defenses have to account for and can open up our offense even more.  

and not fumble...

Just now, Doc Brown said:

So, whoever is on our schedule that played the Ravens last year we can expect the same game plan :) .

yep. Allen is listed in the flex position for fantasy now.....

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

it was part of the game plan because they know the Jets struggled against it last year, particularly killed by Baltimore with Lamar running it.

Why people can't see this is beyond me.

I bet the first time they have a run heavy game plan people will be commenting about Dabol reverting to 1950s football.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, NewEra said:

LOL - GOOD

Personally I don't like it. I don't think Josh is always making the best decisions on those plays, and at least some annoying percentage of the time they end in total disaster. 

I'd rather Josh just run when ***** gets harry in the passing game, rather then by design, or by-design-to-give-him-the-option

He's not a good enough passer yet.  Keep running him. He is big and strong like Newton and Roethlisberger.  Steve Young ran early in his career.  So did Elway.  

I have no problem with the designed runs.   They work because he is a good runner and it gives you an extra blocker.  The O-line is an average run blocking unit at best. At almost every position except maybe Feliciano they are all better pass blockers than run blockers.  

Just hold on to the ball and slide.  He slid really well last year. He didn't slide once on Sunday.  He just needs to learn two more yards won't matter most of the time and fumbles cost points. 

1 hour ago, BillsFan692 said:

Personally I don't like it. I don't think Josh is always making the best decisions on those plays, and at least some annoying percentage of the time they end in total disaster. 

I'd rather Josh just run when ***** gets harry in the passing game, rather then by design, or by-design-to-give-him-the-option

His legs are an asset and an added dimension so use them.  It makes life very difficult for a defense.  The Bears were dumb not to use Trubisky's rushing ability last year. Just don't do it as much as they did Sunday.

I think what we were seeing was more of a veer option. I think that is a weird choice in an NFL game. Great high school play, but you are truly lambing out the running back there. I like veer option for a guy like lamar jackson, who has that explosive speed out of the mesh. Josh takes a bit to get to the rpms, so a zone option makes more sense. Essentially, i say we saw veer option because there was a same side mesh with the back, whereas your zone option is a crossface mesh. I thought it was a strange choice. 

I think we need to define “read option” better in order to answer the question...

Read option plays—as far as the Bills run them with Daboll and Allen—are typically either a zone read or an RPO. Both involve the QB reading a key defender and making a decision with the ball.

In the case of a zone read, the key is typically a front 7 EDGE defender, and the choice is to keep the ball and run or hand it to a back; predicated upon whether the EDGE defender stays wide or crashes down the line.

In an RPO, the key is typically a back 7 boundary defender, and the choice it to hand it to a back or keep it and throw; predicated upon whether the defender stays home or attacks the run action.

Both are read options, and both are good plays for a QB like Allen to have in his repertoire. On a day like Sunday, however, when the zone read clearly isn’t working, you need to be able to adjust. 

• Like (+1) 1