Bills not coming out for National Anthem

DE Bills Fan

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Who cares honestly. People want to make issues out of things to give themselves something to get worked up about. Maybe they need to find something to do in life.

You are just so wonderful!! Wish we could all be like you.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DE Bills Fan said:

Just curious what Bills fans think of this? Have been reading a lot of negative opinions on them staying in the locker room 

Thoughts???

They can't win. Whatever they do is wrong. And I believe it's a loud minority making all the noise.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 3

57 minutes ago, Dragoon said:

This is crap that we’re talking about this. But if the Bills are gonna make political statements I’d rather not see it. 

Im not gonna say which side of the aisle I’m on — but the reason I hate this is sports were a great conversation starter with folks I know who disagree with me politically. That’s gone now. So there’s that. 

I just wanna watch and talk ball with any democrat or republican. That’s all. I don’t wanna talk Trump, I just wanna talk ball. 

Life doesn't work like that.

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Don't care. I'm supportive of the players. No need for the national anthem to be played before the game anyways. Save it for the Olympics and maybe the SuperBowls. 

Nailed it - only reason it's there is because the Pentagon dishes out millions of their recruitment budget to owners for including it in their paid patriotism events...

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

Nailed it - only reason it's there is because the Pentagon dishes out millions of their recruitment budget to owners for including it in their paid patriotism events...

I am NOT arguing here, I am just curious. Can anyone tell us what the Military pays for any form of recognition under the current arrangement? What is the deal these days? How about flyovers at a Super Bowl, etc. 

I have no idea what that relationship is like, financial or otherwise. 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I am NOT arguing here, I am just curious. Can anyone tell us what the Military pays for any form of recognition under the current arrangement? What is the deal these days? How about flyovers at a Super Bowl, etc. 

They haven't paid anything to the NFL since the end of 2015.  The Bills received $700,000 from the DOD in the years 2012-2015 (the league received 6 million in total).  The federal government still pays for SB flyovers (it costs around 80 grand - gas/maintenance). 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Augie said:

This 2015 article is what most immediately came to mind as it mentioned the Bills: https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/11/05/454834662/pentagon-paid-sports-teams-millions-for-paid-patriotism-events

I'll see if I can dig up any more current figures, though after 2017/18 and the reversion of funds received by the NFL as an org in 2016 there isn't much. Point being the relationship has been around since the 60's, notably with the '68 Super Bowl flyover, so it's not exactly going completely away.

EDIT: to add on a general thread-relevant note, I find it interesting how the people who believe politics has no place in sports (particularly the NFL), are the same ones who take issue with protesting the National Anthem. If that's the case, you'd think they would also take issue with having the National Anthem (a political event) played to begin with.

Edited by ctk232
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

The players have a right to exercise their 1st Amendment right.  No one is harmed by remaining inside when the Star Spangled banner is played.    

Still, no professional athlete was standing in their locker room 19 years ago because we were all on the same team.  How quickly people forget.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ctk232 said:

This 2015 article is what most immediately came to mind as it mentioned the Bills: https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/11/05/454834662/pentagon-paid-sports-teams-millions-for-paid-patriotism-events

I'll see if I can dig up any more current figures, though after 2017/18 and the reversion of funds received by the NFL as an org in 2016 there isn't much. Point being the relationship has been around since the 60's, notably with the '68 Super Bowl flyover, so it's not exactly going completely away.

Thanks. In the scope of things, that appears to be peanuts. I’m not taking a stand one way or the other, but I liked how the Bills and Jets handled it. It just felt like......unity, and that’s what we need. JMO. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

The players have a right to exercise their 1st Amendment right.  No one is harmed by remaining inside when the Star Spangled banner is played.    

Still, no professional athlete was standing in their locker room 19 years ago because we were all on the same team.  How quickly people forget.  

I really don’t want to go down this road, but my only problem is if you PUBLICLY do it on the job. If you are at work, you only express yourself in ways that your employer permits. I’d have been handed my hat within an hour if I wanted to take political positions while working at the bank. 

I was pleasantly surprised by the way they handled it. UNITY is what we are all looking for here. I thought it was a great start to the season! 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Thanks. In the scope of things, that appears to be peanuts. I’m not taking a stand one way or the other, but I liked how the Bills and Jets handled it. It just felt like......unity, and that’s what we need. JMO. 

Completely agree. 

To clarify my initial point at least, the focus isn't so much on the amount of money paid, but that having the national anthem incorporated in the games themselves is a product of financial deals, not really for any "patriotic" intent. And on a basic level, there's no real reason to have it before every game to begin with aside from the financial aspect involved.

2 hours ago, DE Bills Fan said:

Just curious what Bills fans think of this? Have been reading a lot of negative opinions on them staying in the locker room 

Thoughts???

Our country has some issues and folks have the right to peacefully protest to bring attention to them. It is as patriotic as it gets IMO. Those that have fought for this country, fought to preserve those kind of rights and freedoms.

You B word about the government in China off to jail you go, Iran and they will have you confessing to some crime after a long spell of torture and executed, in Turkey if you think Erdogan is a Hitler-wanna-be and you tweet those thoughts you and your family should pack for a long prison term, in Russia if you have beef with Putin and are vocal enough you'll be slipped some nerve agent or polonium-210 in your drink.

It sounds like the Bills decided as a team what they would do as a form of protest and did not let it get divisive. I thought I heard McD mention in his presser something about the team getting more organized and active around voting or helping with census - putting the desire for positive change into constructive action.

Personally, no issue with it.

2 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Protesting does not mean they are not patriots.  You can love your country and still know that is has many faults.  There are 27 amendments to a document that has existed for over 225 years ensuring that our Democracy evolves and endures.   

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1