Robert Woods - Better off w/out or Does He Compliment?

11 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

He was one of my favorites. {secret} the last few years in madden I always traded for him and brought him back to Buffalo. 

This year I have not. I do think he’s better than Beasley and he’s right on par with brown. Absolutely loved the guy here with his run blocking. I’m happy he found real success with the Rams 

I hear ya, Rc. One of my favorite Bills plays ever was when Woods took out two DBs with one vicious block, allowing Tyrod to stroll into the end zone (was it against Tennessee?). Woods didn't put up gaudy numbers here, but the kid went hard to every whistle. It's been nice to see him have a successful career in LA. 

7 hours ago, Billiever72 said:

I really wish the team would have paid him to stay and let Sammy go away. I liked the way Woods played for the team a lot more than Sammy

Woods got WR1 money from the Rams, despite only being a decent WR2 to that point in his career. It was seen as a huge reach at the time. We were never going to pay that, and he wanted out anyway.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Buftex said:

You are overlooking the fact that while in Buffalo, Woods played with mostly terrible QB's.  If he fell to the ground a lot, it was likely due to the amount of effort he had to put in to catching mostly uncatchable passes.  Woods was one of the best Bills of the drought era Bills.  

I respectfully disagree.  Not about the QB talent, it was obviously not a great QB situation.  I am talking about Woods feet.  I complained about it regularly, he would hit the ground so many times when it was unnecessary.  He would trip and fall on his routes, etc.  It was uncanny how often he lost his feet when it was not because he had to.  

17 hours ago, Doc said:

I'd like to have Sean McVay as OC.

Based on the job he did in 2017/2018 - yes. Based on the job he did last year.... not so much. I give him a lot of credit for what I saw on SNF. Was only 1 week but he has learnt from his mistakes of last season when he sort of became the worst kind of "I am going to force my scheme onto my talent" coach. 

5 hours ago, 947 said:

Woods got WR1 money from the Rams, despite only being a decent WR2 to that point in his career. It was seen as a huge reach at the time. We were never going to pay that, and he wanted out anyway.

Agreed. At the time no one on this board thought he was worth the money LA paid him. No need to have a revisionist view of the decision. Bills didn't overpay and LA got more of a player than we thought. 

11 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I don’t know who the OP asks who’s better off with/without Woods, but WE’RE better off without him. He was one of our best players when he was on his rookie contract, but he hated being in Buffalo and seemed to always be complaining. 

I wish he worked out. He just wouldn’t let it. No love lost here.

I have no opinion of him now except I wanna whoop his team.

I don't recall any of these complaints you are referencing.  I don't recall anything on or off the field to believe he hated being in Buffalo. Now I don't dispute he may have wanted out. Some guys want big cities some don't. Nothing wrong with that. 

28 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I don't recall any of these complaints you are referencing.  I don't recall anything on or off the field to believe he hated being in Buffalo. Now I don't dispute he may have wanted out. Some guys want big cities some don't. Nothing wrong with that. 

Well, yeah, but you’re in Portland. so...

• Haha (+1) 2

On 9/14/2020 at 7:54 PM, Coach Tuesday said:

Woods had skates on when he was here.  He literally fell down almost every time he caught the ball.  He seems to have gotten better cleats and his game has really come on.

He played his final year in buffalo with an unreported torn groin muscle. Factor that into assessments like this.

Woods is a good player but he’s always been a guy that needed other threats. He’s John Brown (although with different skills). If Sammy had his head on straight when he was here we would have been fine at that position. Sammy has the ability to control the attention and win against anybody. Woods could have done damage sooner if that happened. The guys were there to be successful.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/15/2020 at 9:39 AM, 947 said:

Did they redo his contract? I thought he took a little over 6M per season from the rams? 

I never remember hearing he wanted out. Until the insulted him and did not make him an offer.

One of the best downfield blocking receivers in the league. 

21 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Based on the job he did in 2017/2018 - yes. Based on the job he did last year.... not so much. I give him a lot of credit for what I saw on SNF. Was only 1 week but he has learnt from his mistakes of last season when he sort of became the worst kind of "I am going to force my scheme onto my talent" coach. 

Sorry honest question, what was the issue with him last year? I'm only seeing he went for 90 catches and 1134 yards.

Love the Hines Ward comparison. He's getting there statistically YOY now as well, he's a great wide receiver. Too much time has passed to maybe say we'd be "better off" but it's hard to argue that somebody as good as him wouldn't compliment.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Woods is a good player but he’s always been a guy that needed other threats. He’s John Brown (although with different skills). If Sammy has his head on straight when he was here we would have been fine at that position. Sammy has the ability to control the attention and win against anybody. Woods could have done damage sooner of that happened. The guys were there to be successful.

Good write up.  Woods is good not great number 2.  He would be a terrible number 1.  He’s not a game breaker and a number 1 cb would eat him up.  

Good player for sure though and tough as hell. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Nelius said:

Sorry honest question, what was the issue with him last year? I'm only seeing he went for 90 catches and 1134 yards.

Love the Hines Ward comparison. He's getting there statistically YOY now as well, he's a great wide receiver. Too much time has passed to maybe say we'd be "better off" but it's hard to argue that somebody as good as him wouldn't compliment.

My post is about McVay not Woods. It was in response to Doc saying what he really wanted is McVay as OC.

Rams HC Sean McVay expects WR Robert Woods' extension to be similar to Cooper Kupp's

https://www.nfl.com/news/rams-hc-sean-mcvay-expects-wr-robert-woods-extension-to-be-similar-to-cooper-kup

Wide receiver Cooper Kupp has agreed to a three-year contract extension, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter. The deal is worth up to $49 million, according to NFL Network. Kupp was entering the fourth year of his rookie contract.

18 minutes ago, ALF said:

Rams HC Sean McVay expects WR Robert Woods' extension to be similar to Cooper Kupp's

https://www.nfl.com/news/rams-hc-sean-mcvay-expects-wr-robert-woods-extension-to-be-similar-to-cooper-kup

Wide receiver Cooper Kupp has agreed to a three-year contract extension, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter. The deal is worth up to $49 million, according to NFL Network. Kupp was entering the fourth year of his rookie contract.

That would be a mistake for me. I think Woods and Kupp are both good receivers and good scheme fits but they are both high end #2 or #1B types. Can you afford to pay two guys in that category big money? Hmmm. Add to that Woods is 28 and Kupp will be 28 by the time next season commences (kinda mad they were born 14 months apart but drafted FOUR years apart, right?)

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That would be a mistake for me. I think Woods and Kupp are both good receivers and good scheme fits but they are both high end #2 or #1B types. Can you afford to pay two guys in that category big money? Hmmm. Add to that Woods is 28 and Kupp will be 28 by the time next season commences (kinda mad they were born 14 months apart but drafted FOUR years apart, right?)

Mad?  As in angry or crazy?

• Haha (+1) 1