John Brown touchdown

syhuang

No, this is not about the audible Josh made, which most is aware of and is definitely one of the best takeaways from the play. There are few other things that I also really like in that play:

1. Diggs was run-blocking the only defender could tackle Brown.
  2. Brown recognized Diggs' run block and thanked him right after the play. (Josh mentioned that in his post game interview)
  3. During the post game press when asked about that play, Josh brought up that his throw wasn't great and Brown "picked it up from the floor". Even though he made the right audible and resulted in a touchdown, he not only doesn't take the credit but also acknowledges what he didn't do well. That what great players do to always look for areas to improve.

post game interview (the question about this play starts at 9:24):

Also, the touchdown: https://www.buffalobills.com/video/john-brown-s-17-yard-touchdown-reception-from-josh-allen-in-bills-vs-jets

• Like (+1) 16
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

I'm certainly not complaining, but I'm not so sure "he" made the right audible call. Josh starts the audible right around the :15 mark on the play clock, which means it's very possible the OC told him what play to audible to.

But yes, I get the gist of your post and it is good to see.

Edited by Tuco

31 minutes ago, syhuang said:

No, this is not about the audible Josh made, which most is aware of and is definitely one of the best takeaways from the play. There are few other things that I also really like in that play:

2. Brown recognized Diggs' run block and thanked him right after the play. (Josh mentioned that in his post game interview)
  3. During the post game press when asked about that play, Josh brought up that his throw wasn't great and Brown "picked it up from the floor". Even though he made the right audible and resulted in a touchdown, he not only doesn't take the credit but also acknowledges what he didn't do well. That what great players do to always look for areas to improve.

post game interview (the question about this play starts at 9:24):

Also, the touchdown: https://www.buffalobills.com/video/john-brown-s-17-yard-touchdown-reception-from-josh-allen-in-bills-vs-jets

Watching it live, I thought he skipped the pass in and was hoping it wouldnt get called back in replay. That was a close one and a great job by Brown.

1 hour ago, syhuang said:

Thanks for your observations.  I have to say 1 game into the season and there are already a lot of comments keying on statistics.

Beane and McDermott are building a team and a lot goes unnoticed by the average fan.

This is becoming one of the best TEAMS I ever seen fielded by the Bills.

I enjoyed yesterdays game with the few warts and all.

• Like (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Watching it live, I thought he skipped the pass in and was hoping it wouldnt get called back in replay. That was a close one and a great job by Brown.

I thought for sure it hit the carpet there.  I fully expected it to be called back.  Just goes to show you Bills Fan PTSD is a very real thing.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Golden Goat said:

I got "meh'd" in the Bold Predictions thread for picking Brown to have more TDs and yards than Diggs at the end of the season. I'm doubling down on it. Diggs' presence will make Brown a beast this year.

It's not an illogical take, in my opinion.

• Thank you (+1) 1

NFLN GMFB  showed that block to get in Brown in. Also showed Diggs pointing to Knox open in the endzone on the pass over threw.  I didn't know a lot about Diggs besides he wanted OUT of Minnesota. That "malcontent" sure looks good in a Bills uniform and genuinely looks happy here. How the culture has changed is awesome. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Golden Goat said:

I got "meh'd" in the Bold Predictions thread for picking Brown to have more TDs and yards than Diggs at the end of the season. I'm doubling down on it. Diggs' presence will make Brown a beast this year.

I think it’s unlikely just because Diggs was the focus of the Defense and he still ate. I think there will be games where Brown is more opened up and free to roam if teams double Diggs or have an elite cover guy, but I think against bad secondaries Diggs will get plenty. 

20 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Agreed I thought the same

Not a great pass by any means, but Allen had defenders coming hot from his right and you can see him sling it sidearm in a hurry to get it through the tight window before it closed. It was a street ball kind of move that Allen is known for. Kind of gives me flashbacks of Bernie Kosar or Favre early in his career creating plays on the fly.

Can be nerve-racking roller-coaster when I go from the "oh *****" in my brain to "I can't believe that worked", but Allen does make it work more often than not and the negative plays (outside of the fumbles on the designed runs) have trended downward over his time behind center for the Bills. I hope that trend continues and Daboll does his part to help with that.

The big takeaway was the right audible being called, the offense being on the same page to execute the play, the offense actually executing it without misfiring, and the unselfish blocking by Diggs and how Brown gave him props right away. Bean going out and finding the kind of receivers that have a wide catch radius is a great thing too. Josh has to keep working on his accuracy, but all QBs throw errant passes from time to time and benefit from receivers that can track and adjust to the ball.

Josh's presser, the unselfish behavior on the field, and the desire to work together to improve as a team is the kind of team chemistry you want to see.

• Like (+1) 4

43 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

NFLN GMFB  showed that block to get in Brown in. Also showed Diggs pointing to Knox open in the endzone on the pass over threw.  I didn't know a lot about Diggs besides he wanted OUT of Minnesota. That "malcontent" sure looks good in a Bills uniform and genuinely looks happy here. How the culture has changed is awesome. 

maybe Cousins was just a dooosche To play with? 

nothing to base it on. But I’d be less than shocked 

1 hour ago, Golden Goat said:

Sorry. Had to do it, haha

• Haha (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I think it’s unlikely just because Diggs was the focus of the Defense and he still ate. I think there will be games where Brown is more opened up and free to roam if teams double Diggs or have an elite cover guy, but I think against bad secondaries Diggs will get plenty. 

Miami has good corners. I think we might see a shift to heavy run. It will be interesting to see the game plan. I don’t anticipate Josh throwing 46 times. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

6 hours ago, Golden Goat said:

6 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Beasley could surpass both if they don't look out:ph34r:

Another subtle acknowledgement on the play was the Josh's  Rushing TD.   As per Josh,  the play action was set up because Bates was declared eligible receiver and he ran into the EZ and the defender had ot run with him to cover him.   With the LB caught going after the RB,  it was a easy TD for Josh.  

Josh acknowledged that after the TD by looking for Bates and giving him the ball to spike.  

• Thank you (+1) 1