The packers really blew it selecting Love

NewEra

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It isn't that easy. If the Packers are a playoff team again (and they were at worst a .500 football team this year) then there is no guarantee a potential franchise guy is sitting there for you picking in the late teens or the 20s. I very much doubt Green Bay went into draft night 2020 saying "man we MUST pick Jordan Love." I suspect much more they said "we really like this kid, we think he can be the guy long term..... if he gets to the back half of the 20s we might want to make a move." You don't always get to pick the years when QBs you like fall to you. They could have passed on Love and then gone two drafts without a guy they like making it their pick or even close to their pick. The you have a 39 year old ARod and what do you do then?

Whether it works our long term or not picking Jordan Love was from a strategic team building perspective 100% the right move.

I get it but at the same time you have a generational QB at age 37 who needs reciving help desperately in a good deep WR draft. Why wouldn't you draft a WR and look into getting a QB in 2021 or 2022 when Rodgers will be older and closer to 40?

Green Bay was wise to do this but I just question the timing of it especially given the nature of QB play lasting longer

Edited by billsfan89

16 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I get the logic. And I would stand by that logic in this situation.... IF the packers didn’t have Aaron Rodger.  Aaron Rodgers is the WINNING lottery ticket.  They WON when they drafted Aaron Rodgers with that ticket.  Imo, they’ve failed after having won the lottery. Yeah, they got their title. One title.  When you hit a lottery like aaron Rodgers, you expect that you’re going to win at least one super bowl.  Joe Flacco has one super bowl.  Nick Foles has one too. We can go on.  It’s a long list.  Nothing sets them apart.  Winning lottery ticket, Aaron rodgers has that same one super bowl.  I feel they should have more.  

I‘m all for drafting a qb if your QB is Kirk cousins, stafford, Jimmy g, cam, Baker, etc.....pretty much any QB that isn’t considered one of the best of all time still playing at a high level and under contract for 4 years.  The Packers should make it their mission to win another SB with AR.  They didn’t do that.  They did about the furthest thing from that in the draft.  Every draft pick is buried on the depth chart.  None of which are helping.  I don’t think any FO would set out to accomplish that feat.  

When you have the winning lottery ticket in your hand, you should appreciate him.  He changed your franchise.  He gave you a SB based on how great he was.  Now pay it back and do your best to give him the best chance to win another so he can separate himself from brad johnson, Jeff Hostetler and Trent Dilfer in the hall of champions 

Like HoFer Brett Favre?

16 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I get it but at the same time you have a generational QB at age 37 who needs reciving help desperately in a good deep WR draft. Why wouldn't you draft a WR and look into getting a QB in 2021 or 2022 when Rodgers will be older and closer to 40?

Green Bay was wise to do this but I just question the timing of it especially given the nature of QB play lasting longer

The simple answer is because they liked Love a lot and they may not be in a position to get a good QB prospect next season. Love may have been their #2 QB on their board.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, FireChans said:

The simple answer is because they liked Love a lot and they may not be in a position to get a good QB prospect next season. Love may have been their #2 QB on their board.

I get why the Packers did what they did, I just think it was looking a bit too far in the future. I think they were better off adding a piece to help now and finding a QB to develop in a year or two. Green Bay is well run they probably made the right call, my issue was could they have held off to better help the all time great QB they have now?

I personally didn't see Love as a special QB too good not to take a chance on (much like how Rodgers fell right into the lap of GB in 05) and the draft had a lot of good WR talent to help now when the Packers are competitive.

38 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Like HoFer Brett Favre?

Yup, like Brett Fabre. Owner of the same amount of Super Bowls as Joe Flacco and Brad Johnson.

i get why they drafted him.  

12 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

It's week 4 of their rookie season.  Epenesa didn't dress week 1. Moss hasn't dressed in two weeks as has 2.8 YPC.  It's a bit premature to say the Packers will get no value from those picks.  

And Diggs was the key that opened up Josh Allen and is the reason we’re super bowl contenders (other than the QB himself). Meanwhile, Rodgers got nothing.  Allen got Diggs. 

This thread is kind of comical.  The Packers are 4-0, and killing other teams.  They drafted running and TE help, and aren’t exactly having problems with their passing game.  If they love Love that much, I don’t see an issue.  He’s raw, Rodgers is very cost prohibitive to leave for two years so they are thinking Love rides the pine for a couple of years and hopefully they made a good decision.

I get the WR discussion, but they did pick at the end of the draft, 25th I think.

On 9/14/2020 at 4:19 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

The Packers really blew it selecting Aaron Rodgers. I just watched Favre still sling it....

This is what the Packers do. They have 4 HoF QBs (soon to be 5), and 3 QBs (Starr, Favre, Rodgers) make up 45 of 100 years of their existence.

Do you have the same stat guy as Dan Patrick and Romo?

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

I get why the Packers did what they did, I just think it was looking a bit too far in the future. I think they were better off adding a piece to help now and finding a QB to develop in a year or two. Green Bay is well run they probably made the right call, my issue was could they have held off to better help the all time great QB they have now?

I personally didn't see Love as a special QB too good not to take a chance on (much like how Rodgers fell right into the lap of GB in 05) and the draft had a lot of good WR talent to help now when the Packers are competitive.

You don't pass on a QB you "Love" when they fall into your lap. Good teams understand this. Let me ask you this, if Love gets drafted #15 overall, do you think the Packers draft Jalen Hurts instead?  I don't.

They used their first round pick on a good prospect (for them) at the most important position in the game. How anyone could watch the NFL and think "wow they should have drafted an RB instead" is MINDBLOWING.

On 9/14/2020 at 4:19 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

The Packers really blew it selecting Aaron Rodgers. I just watched Favre still sling it....

This is what the Packers do. They have 4 HoF QBs (soon to be 5), and 3 QBs (Starr, Favre, Rodgers) make up 45 of 100 years of their existence.

You mean good teams don't draft 3 QB's in the first round over 12 years after their HoF QB retires?

It took EIGHT years after Kelly retired to draft a QB in the first. Disgusting.

59 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yup, like Brett Fabre. Owner of the same amount of Super Bowls as Joe Flacco and Brad Johnson.

i get why they drafted him.  

And Diggs was the key that opened up Josh Allen and is the reason we’re super bowl contenders (other than the QB himself). Meanwhile, Rodgers got nothing.  Allen got Diggs. 

Green Bay had pick #30 going into the draft. Bills traded pick #22. Diggs is also in their division so there is zero chance he was available for them.

13 minutes ago, FireChans said:

You mean good teams don't draft 3 QB's in the first round over 12 years after their HoF QB retires?

And Allen was still the FIRST QB EVER taken by the Bills with their first pick of the draft. No wonder this franchise has always struggled. Too much RB love, not enough value on QB. That goes back to Ralph too.

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

And Allen was still the FIRST QB EVER taken by the Bills with their first pick of the draft. No wonder this franchise has always struggled. Too much RB love, not enough value on QB. That goes back to Ralph too.

I did the math wrong anyway. It was 22 years, not 12. 1996 - 2018. GROSS

50 minutes ago, FireChans said:

You don't pass on a QB you "Love" when they fall into your lap. Good teams understand this. Let me ask you this, if Love gets drafted #15 overall, do you think the Packers draft Jalen Hurts instead?  I don't.

They used their first round pick on a good prospect (for them) at the most important position in the game. How anyone could watch the NFL and think "wow they should have drafted an RB instead" is MINDBLOWING.

Green Bay had pick #30 going into the draft. Bills traded pick #22. Diggs is also in their division so there is zero chance he was available for them.

I have no idea what you’re talking about

i wasn’t insinuating that the packers should’ve traded their pick for Diggs. It was an example of what a first round pick can add to your team. 

27 minutes ago, NewEra said:

i wasn’t insinuating that the packers should’ve traded their pick for Diggs. It was an example of what a first round pick can add to your team. 

The flip side:

The 2017 Bills made the playoffs with just ONE of their first round picks on the active roster in Jacksonville............that year's pick Tre White.

You are just wrong if you think that it makes ANY sense whatsoever to pass on a guy you think could be a franchise QB.  

Lot's of ways for the personnel department to make up the kind of talent you think they passed on........and only half of all first rounders even get their 5 year option picked up.....probably less at the back end of round 1......... so what you think they were relatively assured to get was at best a 50% proposition to start with.

But hey they could have gotten their version of an off-the bus starter like Shaq(who happened to be out injured at the end of that 2017 season......and not missed). 

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The flip side:

The 2017 Bills made the playoffs with just ONE of their first round picks on the active roster in Jacksonville............that year's pick Tre White.

You are just wrong if you think that it makes ANY sense whatsoever to pass on a guy you think could be a franchise QB.  

Lot's of ways for the personnel department to make up the kind of talent you think they passed on........and only half of all first rounders even get their 5 year option picked up.....probably less at the back end of round 1......... so what you think they were relatively assured to get was at best a 50% proposition to start with.

But hey they could have gotten their version of an off-the bus starter like Shaq(who happened to be out injured at the end of that 2017 season......and not missed). 

Whatever you say

7 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Because there is no saying they will have a route to get a QB in 2021 or 2022.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, NewEra said:

I get the logic. And I would stand by that logic in this situation.... IF the packers didn’t have Aaron Rodger.  Aaron Rodgers is the WINNING lottery ticket.  They WON when they drafted Aaron Rodgers with that ticket.  Imo, they’ve failed after having won the lottery. Yeah, they got their title. One title.  When you hit a lottery like aaron Rodgers, you expect that you’re going to win at least one super bowl.  Joe Flacco has one super bowl.  Nick Foles has one too. We can go on.  It’s a long list.  Nothing sets them apart.  Winning lottery ticket, Aaron rodgers has that same one super bowl.  I feel they should have more.  

I‘m all for drafting a qb if your QB is Kirk cousins, stafford, Jimmy g, cam, Baker, etc.....pretty much any QB that isn’t considered one of the best of all time still playing at a high level and under contract for 4 years.  The Packers should make it their mission to win another SB with AR.  They didn’t do that.  They did about the furthest thing from that in the draft.  Every draft pick is buried on the depth chart.  None of which are helping.  I don’t think any FO would set out to accomplish that feat.  

When you have the winning lottery ticket in your hand, you should appreciate him.  He changed your franchise.  He gave you a SB based on how great he was.  Now pay it back and do your best to give him the best chance to win another so he can separate himself from brad johnson, Jeff Hostetler and Trent Dilfer in the hall of champions 

Oh I agree that they blew it with Rodgers.............they should have been much more aggressive in their offseasons years ago...........they tried to ride him and not mortgage any of their future and that wasn't fair to the fanbase or him.   

They played it like the Pats played the middle of Brady's career.   But Mike McCarthy is no Bill Belichick..........so that plan failed.

I think the thing with the Packers is that they have pretty much spent the proceeds of that Rodgers lottery ticket.   And they know it.   Love isn't just a replacement he's also an insurance policy for Rodgers the next couple of seasons.  IMO just a very shrewd, forward thinking decision.

But in full disclosure I think the analytics would support the idea that it would be wiser to just select the best available QB with your first round pick every year than do it any other way.  To me it's kind of like teams employing the shift in baseball.........years ago the idea seemed ludicrous.......and it shouldn't work but because of the nature of the game(rules designed to allow QB's to utterly dominate games) and the people involved(a lot of meatheads) it absolutely would. 

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Because there is no saying they will have a route to get a QB in 2021 or 2022.

In the past few years we have been spoiled by an influx of athletic, big armed QB's and the employment of rules and systems that make it easier for them to succeed.

But in the past the incoming QB pool has dried up for long periods of time.

You just can't pass on a potential franchise talent when it's available.

• Like (+1) 1