Garoppolo and the 49ers

prissythecat

7 hours ago, prissythecat said:

The 49ers have significant talent on both sides of ball as evidenced by Superbowl run last year.  However,  I believe that they are being held back by a very limited QB in Jimmy Garoppolo who cannot make enough plays to overcome situations where game is close or there is not a huge talent differential.   This is certainly a very different situation from few seasons ago when lots of folks were ready to anoint Garoppolo as the next elite QB.

Thoughts on where the 49ers should be going with QB ?  You can only retain so much talent for so long and windows close quickly.

tough spot. 

hes good but is he “the guy” long term?

next year they can bail but what’s the play?

Non-top-10 pick won’t be an upgrade.

Maybe an end stage vet like Rodgers going home?

Edited by NoSaint

The 49ers have significant talent on both sides of ball as evidenced by Superbowl run last year.  However,  I believe that they are being held back by a very limited QB in Jimmy Garoppolo who cannot make enough plays to overcome situations where game is close or there is not a huge talent differential.   This is certainly a very different situation from few seasons ago when lots of folks were ready to anoint Garoppolo as the next elite QB.

Thoughts on where the 49ers should be going with QB ?  You can only retain so much talent for so long and windows close quickly.

ah the Patriots smoke and mirrors strikes again 

Jimmy is good. How good?    But not as good as the contract they paid him. 

6 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

He got them back their 4th Q lead late in the game.

Just like the Super Bowl.  Oh wait. No, he was terrible in the 4th.  3-11 36 yards game sealing pick and a sack.  

i watch every niner game with my boy.  They’re missing their 2 best WR, maybe 3, and Kittle was hurt going into halftime.  I feel jimmy is a little limited and shanahans offense would be more effective with a more physically talented qb but I still think he’s good enough to win it all

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

The 49ers took a 3 point lead 1/3 of the way into the 4th Q. Then the D gives up a TD.  The Garoppolo drives down for a TD to regain the lead.  The their D gives up another TD on the Cardinal's next drive.   Garoppolo drives them again down to the AZ 16.  Came up incomplate on 4th and 5.

He threw 2 TDs, 259 yards.  It wasn't awful.  SF's vaunted D couldn't stop Kyler Murray in the 4th Q (despite given TWO leads to protect). 

Kyler Murray is good.

I always thought he looked much better in New England...doesn’t seem like the same QB in San Fran...

14 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Just like the Super Bowl.  Oh wait. No, he was terrible in the 4th.  3-11 36 yards game sealing pick and a sack.  

i watch every niner game with my boy.  They’re missing their 2 best WR, maybe 3, and Kittle was hurt going into halftime.  I feel jimmy is a little limited and shanahans offense would be more effective with a more physically talented qb but I still think he’s good enough to win it all

I don't.  You can win a decent number of games with him but I don't ever see him winning a SB.  Much less with Shanahan.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

The 49ers took a 3 point lead 1/3 of the way into the 4th Q. Then the D gives up a TD.  The Garoppolo drives down for a TD to regain the lead.  The their D gives up another TD on the Cardinal's next drive.   Garoppolo drives them again down to the AZ 16.  Came up incomplate on 4th and 5.

He threw 2 TDs, 259 yards.  It wasn't awful.  SF's vaunted D couldn't stop Kyler Murray in the 4th Q (despite given TWO leads to protect). 

don't confuse discussions with facts

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

I don't.  You can win a decent number of games with him but I don't ever see him winning a SB.  Much less with Shanahan.

jimmy G I can understand, but why shanahan?  what is it in shanahan that you don’t think he has what it takes to win a super bowl?  The guy transformed a trash team into a super bowl contender after year 2.  

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, vincec said:

Kyler Murray is good.

Not yet.  Certainly shouldn't be a challenge for the 2nd best D in the NFL against a kid in his second year who they beat twice last year.

16 minutes ago, NewEra said:

jimmy G I can understand, but why shanahan?  what is it in shanahan that you don’t think he has what it takes to win a super bowl?  The guy transformed a trash team into a super bowl contender after year 2.  

pointing out the obvious does not sway doc.....

19 minutes ago, NewEra said:

The last 2 SB's he's coached-in.

14 minutes ago, Doc said:

The last 2 SB's he's coached-in.

That’s really doesn’t make any sense. So he’s a coach that chokes?  Any other coaches that don’t have what it takes because of the way they coached IN THE SUPER BOWL?  

I usually see your side in your back and for the bit this one ridiculous take.  

Just now, NewEra said:

That’s really doesn’t make any sense. So he’s a coach that chokes?  Any other coaches that don’t have what it takes because of the way they coached IN THE SUPER BOWL?  

I usually see your side in your back and for the bit this one ridiculous take.  

I said that I don't see Jimmy G and Shanahan winning a SB together.  As for Shanahan, he has a lot to prove after the last 2 SB's.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Jimmy ain’t going anywhere the next year or two. Shanahan is a run coach and will always prioritize his run game first. Their receivers are a hot mess right now as well. Little quick to judge after one game. I don’t think he’s a top 15 quarterback but they’ve already proven they can win with him. 

They also won without him the previous year when he was on IR

8 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

Just saw a recent QB ranking list by some supposed "expert" football writer that had Allen at #20 and Jimmy G in the top 10.  Also had Burrow at #26 despite never having played a snap in the NFL and Allen not getting ranked in preseason when he was a rookie.

Jimmy G is just going to get that automatic big market respect. 

They had the 2nd pick in the draft when he was hurt and made the Super Bowl the next season.