Garoppolo and the 49ers

prissythecat

The 49ers have significant talent on both sides of ball as evidenced by Superbowl run last year.  However,  I believe that they are being held back by a very limited QB in Jimmy Garoppolo who cannot make enough plays to overcome situations where game is close or there is not a huge talent differential.   This is certainly a very different situation from few seasons ago when lots of folks were ready to anoint Garoppolo as the next elite QB.

Thoughts on where the 49ers should be going with QB ?  You can only retain so much talent for so long and windows close quickly.

• Like (+1) 5

5 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

The 49ers have significant talent on both sides of ball as evidenced by Superbowl run last year.  However,  I believe that they are being held back by a very limited QB in Jimmy Garoppolo who cannot make enough plays to overcome situations where game is close or there is not a huge talent differential.   This is certainly a very different situation from few seasons ago when lots of folks were ready to anoint Garoppolo as the next elite QB.

Thoughts on where the 49ers should be going with QB ?  You can only retain so much talent for so long and windows close quickly.

Barkley for Jimmy G, straight up!

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

This is how I feel about the Bills. Is Allen the guy? We need to know by the end of this season.

(They don't have anywhere near the talent we have in the RB and WR room.)

• Like (+1) 3

Just saw a recent QB ranking list by some supposed "expert" football writer that had Allen at #20 and Jimmy G in the top 10.  Also had Burrow at #26 despite never having played a snap in the NFL and Allen not getting ranked in preseason when he was a rookie.

Jimmy G is just going to get that automatic big market respect. 

12 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

In today's NFL if you don't have very good to elite mobility at the QB position you better be very special in the pocket. Nobody will confuse Jimmy G with being a very special player in the pocket.

I dunno man, did you see the play yesterday where he twirled around in a circle at least three times in the pocket!!?? Thats very special lol 

• Haha (+1) 6

Jimmy ain’t going anywhere the next year or two. Shanahan is a run coach and will always prioritize his run game first. Their receivers are a hot mess right now as well. Little quick to judge after one game. I don’t think he’s a top 15 quarterback but they’ve already proven they can win with him. 

The 49ers took a 3 point lead 1/3 of the way into the 4th Q. Then the D gives up a TD.  The Garoppolo drives down for a TD to regain the lead.  The their D gives up another TD on the Cardinal's next drive.   Garoppolo drives them again down to the AZ 16.  Came up incomplate on 4th and 5.

He threw 2 TDs, 259 yards.  It wasn't awful.  SF's vaunted D couldn't stop Kyler Murray in the 4th Q (despite given TWO leads to protect). 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rc2catch said:

Jimmy ain’t going anywhere the next year or two. Shanahan is a run coach and will always prioritize his run game first. Their receivers are a hot mess right now as well. Little quick to judge after one game. I don’t think he’s a top 15 quarterback but they’ve already proven they can win with him. 

Pat McAfee said a big plus for Jimmy G is he doesn't mind constantly handing off the ball if it leads to wins, vs all the other QBs who get upset if they're not hitting 300 passing yards per game.

Just now, 1ManRaid said:

Pat McAfee said a big plus for Jimmy G is he doesn't mind constantly handing off the ball if it leads to wins, vs all the other QBs who get upset if they're not hitting 300 passing yards per game.

Lol I wouldn’t mind either if I had that contract. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Rc2catch said:

They also can't give up on him because they have so much guaranteed money tied into his contract.

He's a game manager. Their defense and their running game were bigger reasons why they went to the Super Bowl last year.

4 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I've been saying this about Garoppolo ever since he was drafted.....

Overrated!!!

All part of the master plan from BB. Lose Brady, bring back JG on the cheap after he flames out in SF. Pats get their next system QB for another 10 years. 

FML

I'll admit it:  I was terrified Garropolo would take over for the Pats after Brady left. I thought they found another gem & he'd carry them to another decade of success.

I'm still not quite ready to write him off, though.  I thought he was pretty solid in the SB last year, though not great.  Yesterday he looked pretty middlin'.

But I noticed that America has become even more addicted to hot takes this season (Brady is washed!  BB was clearly more responsible for their run!)  So, I'll give this one more time to render any kind of verdict.