Based on what you’ve seen so far in week 1, what do you think the NFL should do about Preseason games going forward?

YoloinOhio

What should the future be for NFL preseason   

118 members have voted

1. 1. The NFL should have

• 4 preseason games (no change)
    • 2 preseason games
    • 1 preseason game (a warm-up, then let’s go)
    • No preseason at all

There are pros and cons to preseason in my mind. I think the forced changes due to Covid will really lead to the nfl having to move off of its stance that 4 games are necessary. But I’m not sold on a complete lack of preseason. I think at least one game would be helpful - to the coaches, players, evaluating talent, etc. 

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

There are pros and cons to preseason in my mind. I think the forced changes due to Covid will really lead to the nfl having to move off of its stance that 4 games are necessary. But I’m not sold on a complete lack of preseason. I think at least one game would be helpful - to the coaches, players, evaluating talent, etc. 

i voted no preseason but only if many of the practice/OTA restrictions are lifted and coaches are allowed to practice the players harder. 

if that isnt going to happen and we have the same watered-down practices/scrimmahes then id vote 2 preseason games  

If this offseason has shown us anything it’s that teams can get ready with just the scrimmages. I voted for one game, only because I think it’s crucial to the lower makings of rosters and practice squads. 
I will say, for those of us who enjoyed the XFL and would like a second league (even if it’s considered the minors) having no preseason is probably great for that league. There’s a lot of hidden talent stashed away on practice squads and free agency that could really shine with a little coaching and playing time. 

Of the 2 games that I've seen this yr, I was pleasantly surprised by the "crispness" of them.  In that regard, I don't think PS was missed at all.  Based on the Bills, I wonder some real game action might (have) been beneficial WRT physical preparedness, ie injury avoidance.

I think the main thing that is lost w/ no PS is an inability to evaluate new players, primarily rookies.  I think eliminating PS entirely would (eventually) detract from the overall product/performance.

That said, I'd think 2 games, perhaps 1/2 a game for a "dress rehearsal" for "starters" & the other ~6 qtrs for evaluation of (primarily) incoming talent.

• Like (+1) 1

I voted 2 games - I think 1 game with starters to go through a 1st half and halftime - get a game feel and let teams work through these soft tissue injuries.  They need full speed games to get prepared.

I then want either a second game or a couple of scrimmages for the rookie/younger players to show what they can do.  More of a controlled feeling than a full fledged game.

The football wasn’t bad without preseason games, but I also thought it favored certain teams with more prepared coaches and stable teams.

• Like (+1) 1

I would rather keep the controlled scrimmages and kill "preseason games" entirely. The risk of injury exceeds the benefit, and the ability of the NFL to market them as actual games is more about forcing season ticket holders to buy a product nobody wants than it is about preparation for the regular season. From what I saw, Week 1 in 2020 looked pretty much like Week 1 in 2019 -- the good, stable teams were prepared (think Bills); the poor and high player/coaching staff turnover teams looked like 6 preseason games wouldn't have helped (think Jets).