Cap Space - Tre White Contract is on the books!

ColoradoBills

Tre White's contract is on the books in Spotrac.

Bills have 4.3 million in space left and 2.2 million next year with 41 players signed so far for 2021.

Once again Beane is paying as he goes.  The way he did the extensions this year is what I expected.

He will have to get a little creative going forward.

Now some fans can understand why he didn't pursue a high $ one year rental.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/tredavious-white-21768/

Interesting - Tre was on his Rookie deal this season.  Next season, the option kicked in.  By signing, he get a huge increase this year (when we had more cap space) and continues to get top-CB $$$ for the rest of the term.

Next up: Josh Allen and Edmunds.  Would love to keep Milano, but thats probably not happening.

Hard to argue with anything McBeane (in this case, its Beane) does - whoever we lose due to cap, they will figure out how to re-stock the shelves!

3 minutes ago, Redneck said:

Interesting - Tre was on his Rookie deal this season.  Next season, the option kicked in.  By signing, he get a huge increase this year (when we had more cap space) and continues to get top-CB $$$ for the rest of the term.

Next up: Josh Allen and Edmunds.  Would love to keep Milano, but thats probably not happening.

Hard to argue with anything McBeane (in this case, its Beane) does - whoever we lose due to cap, they will figure out how to re-stock the shelves!

I wouldn't give up hope on Milano.  There are some guys currently on the roster for 2021 that may get cut.  Butler comes to mind.

Guys like Lee Smith and a few others will probably have to be let go and replaced with cheaper versions.

While I think Beane would like to wait for the Allen contract to start a few "restructures" he may need to do one of two next season.

Mitch Morse comes to mind there.

I still think something is up with Star.  I'm thinking he may retire and the Bills settle with him.  I don't know why.....I just do!

11 minutes ago, Redneck said:

based on the change with the defense when Milano went out.....  It may happen 

jmo

calculated price for Milano  $13 Mil

• Thank you (+1) 1

Milano needs to come with a Discount.  Otherwise he cannot be given top Money IMO because the history with his Injuries.  Cannot pay a player top dollar that has a history of missing time with Hammys.

I Also do not think Next years cap is going to drop all they way down to 175M

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

based on the change with the defense when Milano went out.....  It may happen 

jmo

Yep, but I think a lot is going to depend on Milano and his agent.  Beane definitely can't chase a big number from their side.

It will be SO interesting to see how it shakes out.  I'm so hoping he stays!

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Milano needs to come with a Discount.  Otherwise he cannot be given top Money IMO because the history with his Injuries.  Cannot pay a player top dollar that has a history of missing time with Hammys.

Maybe we can get him on a "Get Pay as you Play" contract.😇

They have some flexibility.  What Beane does well that Whaley didnt, is rather than just cut guys in the last year of their contract he renegotiates to spread roster bonuses over multi years.     Hughes, Brown, and Hyde are all guys you could add years to and save money.    I will say the Vernon Butler contract makes my skin crawl right now knowing you still have a bad contract with Star you really cant get out of, and Harrison Phillips as your third 1 technique.   A lot of money wrapped up in those three guys.

2 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

They have some flexibility.  What Beane does well that Whaley didnt, is rather than just cut guys in the last year of their contract he renegotiates to spread roster bonuses over multi years.     Hughes, Brown, and Hyde are all guys you could add years to and save money.    I will say the Vernon Butler contract makes my skin crawl right now knowing you still have a bad contract with Star you really cant get out of, and Harrison Phillips as your third 1 technique.   A lot of money wrapped up in those three guys.

With Butler you Save 6.85M by cutting him next year as well.  So he could easily be moved on from 

If this comes of as condescending it's not meant to, but the Bills will have no problem signing these guys if they choose to sign them.  Take a look around the league at what other teams are spending.  Look how much money KC has handed out lately.  New Orleans, Dallas, the Rams....they all have an incredibly high number of large contracts and they don't have issues.  They even said this weekend that if Brees had retired New Orleans would've gone after Brady!  If the Bills want to keep these guys, they will be able to keep them.

1 minute ago, thenorthremembers said:

Agreed, but the guy you really need to move on in that role is Star.  Its tough, I like Butler better as a player but Star has a very had contract to move on from.

For one more year it is.  They will be fine I looked though the contracts there are alot of easy ways to free up money.

7 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I Also do not think Next years cap is going to drop all they way down to 175M

This is where I am at. I would guess it stays stagnant or close to it at worst. TV money covers 100% of the cap +$60M more. The only reason I can think of as to why the cap would drop so much is that owners are trying to maintain pure profit $$$ so they are cutting cost through salaries. 

It’s a bad business decision for owners IMO. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Mango said:

This is where I am at. I would guess it stays stagnant or close to it at worst. TV money covers 100% of the cap +$60M more. The only reason I can think of as to why the cap would drop so much is that owners are trying to maintain pure profit $$$ so they are cutting cost through salaries. 

It’s a bad business decision for owners IMO. 

Both the Owners and the NFLPA would not want a roughly a 25M drop in one year when the Cap has been climbing 10M a year since the CBA was signed.  I think if anything as you said the Cap stays at 200M worst case with a 5M increase in 2022 and 5M increase in 2023 to offset.  The PA wont allow that big of a drop in cap, alot of guys will lose jobs and teams still wont be able to sign them.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

If this comes of as condescending it's not meant to, but the Bills will have no problem signing these guys if they choose to sign them.  Take a look around the league at what other teams are spending.  Look how much money KC has handed out lately.  New Orleans, Dallas, the Rams....they all have an incredibly high number of large contracts and they don't have issues.  They even said this weekend that if Brees had retired New Orleans would've gone after Brady!  If the Bills want to keep these guys, they will be able to keep them.

I hear what you are saying but this has been discussed a lot.  KC has a lot of high priced players followed by the rest of the team making 2 million or less.

If Beane goes that route there will be a huge changeover on the team.

As for some other comments about the cap at 175 million next year, I too am hoping that it will be raised some if the season can finish without

a lot of issues.

To add the proper info here is a current list of next years FAs.

Milano isn't the only guy needing to re-signed or replaced.

The draft will be very important again.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/buffalo-bills/

6 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Both the Owners and the NFLPA would not want a roughly a 25M drop in one year when the Cap has been climbing 10M a year since the CBA was signed.  I think if anything as you said the Cap stays at 200M worst case with a 5M increase in 2022 and 5M increase in 2023 to offset.  The PA wont allow that big of a drop in cap, alot of guys will lose jobs and teams still wont be able to sign them.  

Your last part nails it. It doesn’t just put some teams in cap purgatory. It puts nearly the entire league outside of a team or two. Which means there are just players who are out of work. And you basically set franchises back years for the sake of 1 years worth of maintaining the same profit $$$ as 2019. 

I think the NFLPA already approved the $175M floor. I could be wrong. We haven’t seen the specifics in how we get there, which I am sure are mapped out pretty specifically. My guess is it is based on a shortened season. If we can get all 16 games and the playoffs in, the cap is going to stay the same or increase $5-10M.  If we get 6 games and no playoffs, we are at $175M. 

A lot of this will depend on how well the players and teams do with their internal bubbles. If each team can do as well as the NBA with one big bubble, we should be good to go. If NFL players treat this like the MLB they will effing with their own pay. I would guess/hope the NFLPA is shoving this narrative down players throats every day/week. 

• Like (+1) 1

I know a lot of people get into the cap and that’s fine, I appreciate the insight.

Personally, I don’t understand it and I’m sick and tired of trying to understand the rules when teams in “cap hell” do whatever they want anyways. 😛 

Beane has proven himself to be a top 5 manager in this league and I expect he will continue to manage things well. 

Seems like getting a big chunk of Whites money done now helps us in the future with Allen and others. 

• Like (+1) 1