Year of the Dual Threat QB?

YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

ehhh   I'm still reserving judgement ...  It takes more than a season or 2 or 3 to prove this imo. 

I just hate jumping to a conclusion with a small data set on the young QB's.

Did they win?  Oh yeah  Missed FG to tie the game.

Tyrod was last in Completion % for Sundays games.  FWIW

And had 7 yards rushing 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

This is something Josh really needs to work on imo. He runs the ball like a RB. He needs to protect himself. 

Good point here. I think this is what many that are complaining about Josh running so much are talking about. This is the NFL and a QB taking so many hits take a toll. Not to mention concussion rules - that could have him out a few weeks just like that. I think because Josh is a bigger guy he plays more aggressively in his running style but he needs to learn to be smarter with it. Save those for when you need that extra inch not on every run. 

This concept was talked about when the run pass option became prevalent back in the early 2010s. 

You had Kaepernick (no political statement intended) running roughshod over the Packers in one playoff game and Wilson had excellent mobility, along with Newton back then.  

Eventually in the NFL, defenses contain those QBs in the pocket or they the player keeps running and get banged up.  Newton's back now, but he's dealt with a lot of injuries.  Wilson is more polished and, well, the other guy is not in the league (no political statement intended).

If those QB's want to take off, it's got to be in the right circumstances and, like Murray,  cognizant of protecting oneself better. 

Edited by BillsVet

13 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

This concept was talked about when the run pass option became prevalent back in the early 2010s. 

You had Kaepernick (no political statement intended) running roughshod over the Packers in one playoff game and Wilson had excellent mobility, along with Newton back then.  

Eventually in the NFL, defenses contain those QBs in the pocket or they the player keeps running and get banged up.  Newton's back now, but he's dealt with a lot of injuries.  Wilson is more polished and, well, the other guy is not in the league (no political statement intended).

If those QB's want to take off, it's got to be in the right circumstances and, like Murray,  cognizant of protecting oneself better. 

I would add in guys like Vick, Vince Young, Tebow, and heck even going back to Flutie. It is proven tough to sustain a long career as a running or dual threat QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, ngbills said:

It is proven tough to sustain a long career as a running or dual threat QB. 

Running QB's simply don't last, and that's the big picture. Fans have been saying the game "has changed" since the days of Randall Cunningham, and they've been wrong for the past 3 decades.

Russell Wilson ran 3 times for 29 yds yesterday. He's not a running QB anymore. He doesn't run the read-option. 2-3 times a game he escapes pressure and runs out of bounds 9 yards up the field. That's vastly different than the play of Jackson, Allen, and Murray.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, QCity said:

Running QB's simply don't last, and that's the big picture. Fans have been saying the game "has changed" since the days of Randall Cunningham, and they've been wrong for the past 3 decades.

Russell Wilson ran 3 times for 29 yds yesterday. He's not a running QB anymore. He doesn't run the read-option. 2-3 times a game he escapes pressure and runs out of bounds 9 yards up the field. That's vastly different than the play of Jackson, Allen, and Murray.

Totally wrong take. Your logic is terrible again. You want to compare Josh Allen to Russell Wilson right. Well in 2013 Russell 2nd season he had 96 rushes for 539 yards. My point is give it time. Just like Russell does run as often anymore ( even though 75 rushes is not a small rushing amount) Josh Allen will not run as much because he will get older and become a better QB

Also most QB's get injured inside the pocket than out. So all the preaching about running Qb's dont last has more to do with the fact that they CANT pass than has to do with injury from them running the ball.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/14/2020 at 1:07 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m a believer that the game has changed. QBs have to make players with their feet. It used to be a luxury and now it is a necessity. The best players in football are mobile QBs (Mahomes, Lamar, Russell Wilson). 

I consider dual threat a QB/ player used frequently in the O with called runs IMO.

Mobile on the other hand like Mahomes is someone who is clearly going to beat the crap out of you passing the football.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Figster said:

I consider dual threat a QB/ player used frequently in the O with called runs IMO.

Mobile on the other hand like Mahomes is someone who is clearly going to beat the crap out of you passing the football.

Dual threat to me is simply that - a threat to pass and a threat to run

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/14/2020 at 3:01 PM, ngbills said:

I would add in guys like Vick, Vince Young, Tebow, and heck even going back to Flutie. It is proven tough to sustain a long career as a running or dual threat QB. 

Then again Randall Cunninghams best year was almost 15 years after he got drafted so its definitely possible 

28 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Dual threat to me is simply that - a threat to pass and a threat to run

If you don't distinguish the difference between mobile and dual threat you need a bigger list.

Myself personally, as another posted earlier the better a QB can throwthe ball the less he runs. Or needs to run IMO. (Qcity)

By your definition all QB's are a dual threat including the GOAT, Tom Brady.

Edited by Figster

15 minutes ago, Figster said:

If you don't distinguish the difference between mobile and dual threat you need a bigger list.

Myself personally, as another posted earlier the better a QB can throwthe ball the less he runs. Or needs to run IMO.

By your definition all QB's are a dual threat including the GOAT, Tom Brady.

I don’t think you realize what dual threat means. 

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t think you realize what dual threat means. 

You started a thread on dual threat QB's and went on to show QB's leading the teams in rushing.

How do you expect this to be interpreted If you don't mind my asking? As mobile?

Tom Brady is a master at QB sneaks. Do you consider Brady a dual threat?

9 minutes ago, Figster said:

You started a thread on dual threat QB's and went on to show QB's leading the teams in rushing.

How do you expect this to be interpreted If you don't mind my asking? As mobile?

They also lead their teams in passing (obviously). They are passing QBs that can also run. Not mobile/running QBs who aren’t a threat to light it up through the air.

no, Brady is not considered dual threat. He is not a threat to run the ball at any time. QB sneaks isnt considered a guy who is threat to take off with the ball downfield regardless of down and distance. It’s a guy who is a threat to run qb sneak on 4th and 1. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Figster said:

you ok bro?

Josh is a dual threat. 

he can pass and he can run. 

Saying Tammy Brady is a dual threat is kind of silly if you ask me. 

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

you ok bro?

Josh is a dual threat. 

he can pass and he can run. 

Saying Tammy Brady is a dual threat is kind of silly if you ask me. 

Its all good, haha

Yes, Josh is a dual threat

and no, thats not what I said...

I'm not a mind reader and I took Yo's topic meaning of dual threat QB's as signal callers running abilities used as a running QB by design and not by chance from mobility on broken plays. Theres a difference.

No biggie

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 1

On 9/14/2020 at 12:23 PM, TroutDog said:

Having that the threat of a QB running is critical, in my opinion. Keeps a LB or DB in to shadow him which can open up the passing game. 

Josh has been hurt once and it was in the pocket. Just saying. 😃 

I think you're forgetting that Josh was out on his feet at the end of a run against NE*** last season.

2 minutes ago, transient said:

I think you're forgetting that Josh was out on his feet at the end of a run against NE*** last season.

I stand corrected. Thanks for calling me out. 

At any rate, one thing people discount is how much it means to his teammates to see Josh give his all on every play. In my opinion, they want to give more because of it and that matters. It’s not measurable, but it’s there.