Popping Out a Small Dent In My Car

Gugny

I have a golf ball-sized dent in my front quarter panel.

There is no paint damage at all.  I can't push it from behind.

I'm asking if anyone has experience with this as a quick DIY project.  I know they sell gadgets that are made to pop them out, but I'm wondering if anyone has any decent life hacks that will save me time and money.

I bought this car brand new literally NINE DAYS AGO.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!!

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I'm asking if anyone has experience with this as a quick DIY project.  I know they sell gadgets that are made to pop them out, but I'm wondering if anyone has any decent life hacks that will save me time and money.

Is this at all related to the bicyclist/bike path thread? I think its important that we all understand so that we dont unwittingly become accessories after the fact of you mowing down a bicyclist that was hogging the road.

• Haha (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Unless the paint is damaged, leave it alone. That first dent is liberating - anything that happens after that isn't marring an otherwise perfect car.

It doesn't feel liberating at the moment, Tom!

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, teef said:

is it too small for a suction cup to pull out?

I'm planning on trying a small plunger, but the plunger is still bigger (circumference) than the dent, so I'm not sure if it will work.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Clearly your golf game needs help if you're hitting your own car.

https://www.cnydentrepair.com/

10 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'm planning on trying a small plunger, but the plunger is still bigger (circumference) than the dent, so I'm not sure if it will work.

*actual footage of Gugny after successfully removing the dent*

Roger and his plunger ... Good times ... - GIF on Imgur

• Haha (+1) 6

Is the car brand new, or new to you/used? Brand new I would take it to the dealer and ask them if their body shop can get it out. That way you're not voiding any warranty.  New to you/used, see if there are any of those dent removal places in your area, they'll have the expertise to do it. 

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Last year, my son backed into my brother's truck with my truck.  Damn kids.   My brother had his fender fixed with paintless dent repair.   No damage  to my rice burner.  But my brother's American 🇺🇸 Ram needed it.

As long as paint ain't  broken, they can do it.  Check it out, the process.  I was amazed.   I think they heat it. ?? Can't  tell his whole  fender had huge dent.  $400 bucks and my brother paid it.  He felt bad for his nephew.   I wanted to go heavy on son, but hey, my truck wasn't  damaged.  LoL... I got a new one in February anyway 🤪  

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

That sucks.  Tough break.  Maybe there's something in this article that can help even though it references the roof?

https://www.autohailhq.com/blog/2019/7/8/5-tricks-you-can-use-to-remove-dents-on-your-car-roof

If you have a trusted auto mechanic I'd just bite the bullet and go that route.  I'd probably wind up making it worse if I tried to fix it 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

Doubtful, imagine pushing the plunger in and indenting it that much bigger:lol:

8 hours ago, teef said:

is it too small for a suction cup to pull out?

Plan B... Fly me in, I think my mouth can work this out:flirt:

8 hours ago, Gugny said:

I would check out the multiple methods on Youtube.  I have a 10 year old car and 60 year old oak trees overhanging my driveway.  Parts of my roof look like a golf ball.  I would be tempted to try the Harbor Freight tool but my car is old enough that I don't think it is worth the effort.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Unless the paint is damaged, leave it alone. That first dent is liberating - anything that happens after that isn't marring an otherwise perfect car.

Right after (maybe 1-2 weeks) I got my current car (85k miles ago) I had two dents into my driver door about a foot off the ground. Level, maybe 8-10” apart. I thought someone might have pushed a shopping cart into it, but that didn’t fit. Never bothered fixing it and when I got the minor but curious scratch on the hood a little later I couldn’t be bothered to worry about it much. 

Crazy, but the car before that got a scratch on the trunk in the first week I had it. Life has a way of breaking us in so we just chill about these things. First kid, worry about every little thing. Last kid? Have you eaten enough dirt yet? 

On a related note, my next puppy was born last night! We are so excited to have our rugs peed upon and have our furniture chewed! Same breeder as our current Golden, and she never ruined a single thing as a puppy. We could never be that lucky twice! 

Sorry Gugny, I’m a take it to the shop guy, who lives with it rather than take it to the shop. I have no clue how to help you. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Last year, my son backed into my brother's truck with my truck.  Damn kids.   My brother had his fender fixed with paintless dent repair.   No damage  to my rice burner.  But my brother's American 🇺🇸 Ram needed it.

As long as paint ain't  broken, they can do it.  Check it out, the process.  I was amazed.   I think they heat it. ?? Can't  tell his whole  fender had huge dent.  $400 bucks and my brother paid it.  He felt bad for his nephew.   I wanted to go heavy on son, but hey, my truck wasn't  damaged.  LoL... I got a new one in February anyway 🤪  

The guys that do PDR are amazing. It's an art form. I've worked in car dealerships for a long time and seen some of those guys at work.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I've tried this on many cars thru the years with various results anywhere between NICE! to OH SH*T!  The hired guns (paintless dent removal guys) will ding you probably $100 to make that ding go away 100%.  Dealerships can point you in the right direction, just give them a call or stop by.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

The guys that do PDR are amazing. It's an art form. I've worked in car dealerships for a long time and seen some of those guys at work.

It was amazing  how  he got  it fixed.  I was certain he needed a whole new front fender (driver side). Ever so lightly tapped it, but pushed  it in.  My truck's  taillight never  cracked, had a very, very small scuff.

They have metals  with "memory" ability... For  decades now.  I always wondered why they never incorporated them more with vehicles. Maybe  they  do.  Sure seems like it!!!

15 minutes ago, BeerLeagueHockey said:

I've tried this on many cars thru the years with various results anywhere between NICE! to OH SH*T!  The hired guns (paintless dent removal guys) will ding you probably $100 to make that ding go away 100%.  Dealerships can point you in the right direction, just give them a call or stop by.

Money  well spent.  Few hundred  well worth it!

• Like (+1) 1