Erie County Dept. of Health Warning Fans Who Plan on Attending the Miami Game

T&C

48 minutes ago, GoFlamesGo said:

I say this as respectfully as possible: from the perspective of a physician and scientist, it is this type of common thought that has led to legitimately tens of thousands of needless deaths in America.

Some degree of disease and death was inescapable with this virus. Your business specifically may or may not have indirectly contributed to the death toll (you actually have no idea), but there is no question that people who have thought just like you are unfortunately responsible for a massive amount of morbidity and mortality.

I appreciate and respect science. I just feel like the virus as a whole has been politicized and used as a control grab. The virus isn't going anywhere and you have to resume life in the manner you wish. Luckily I live in a red state and was able to operate and accommodate the record levels of guests our area had. Majority of which weren't wearing masks. Business as usual down here in Florida. We have great sand but chose not to bury our heads in it. 

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, T&C said:

Who can blame them? Miami right now is a filthy festering contaminated hotbed of infected, tainted people, befouled with dangerous incubating microorganisms.

Plus you have to worry about catching COVID.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, buffalojedwardo said:

Because my staff is largely school age kids and they can't wear one without fiddling it constantly. Also the masks might stop a droplet or two but ultimately don't give you the protection you think they do. 

As a person living in a country - Japan - where people wearing masks in an immensely crowded megalopolis has almost completely flattened infection rates (and also a person who can read scientific studies), I can tell you you are wrong about the masks. The Japanese wear masks every year during cold season and to protect from allergens for hay fever and others. Because of that, there isn't the nutty resistance that has surfaced in the U.S. about this.

The U.S. has had 6.4 million cases and 192K deaths. Japan, with a bit less than half our population and ten times our population density, a country closer to and with many more travellers from China, has had 75K confirmed cases and 1,442 deaths.

Masks are very effective against airborne pathogens, including COVID. Not perfectly effective, but very very effective.

EDIT: Ah, glad to see on this page that you're doing your best to handle this in a reasonable way and at least putting serious consideration into this issue. Good luck to you and yours. There has been some politicization of this issue. But at its heart it is an extremely serious public health issue, as shown by the death count approaching 200K at this point in the U.S. Feel free to ignore me, but how would you feel if one of your employees caught COVID elsewhere and passed it to the others, possibly including you, because of your mask policy? Again, feel free to ignore me and call me a busybody, but it's worth considering. Granted that young people tend towards thoughtlessness, but there's evidence they can be taught over time.

Stay healthy.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

Just drive. 

Are you from NY?  You can get in a world of legal trouble for driving to one of the banned states and not quarantining.  Just about every workplace makes you complete a questionnaire asking whether you traveled outside of NYS.  If you are caught lying you can legally be held liable 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Who can blame them? Miami right now is a filthy festering contaminated hotbed of infected, tainted people, befouled with dangerous incubating microorganisms.

Now THIS actually made me laugh out loud. Well done! We could all use a lot more humor these days. 

9 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Surprisingly there’s a lot of Bills fans in Orlando.  Always run into someone who sees my Bills hat and yells “Let’s Go Buffalo”

there's a ton of fans in florida in general.  every time i'm there and in bills gear, i always get a shout out.

19 hours ago, arcane said:

Hapless, I'm sorry, I'm just seeing your warnings about moved posts now. I logged out of work to be able to access a couple of links there, but I can't spend any more time away right now, I have things to do. Feel free to move the posts. No promises I can get back today, I have a busy day. And no promises I'll care enough to head off the wall and find the discussion again when I do get some free time ;)

We're all very surprised.

8 hours ago, buffalojedwardo said:

I appreciate and respect science. I just feel like the virus as a whole has been politicized and used as a control grab. The virus isn't going anywhere and you have to resume life in the manner you wish. Luckily I live in a red state and was able to operate and accommodate the record levels of guests our area had. Majority of which weren't wearing masks. Business as usual down here in Florida. We have great sand but chose not to bury our heads in it. 

“I appreciate and respect science,”

I’m sorry but you don’t, because it is scientists who make the argument we all need to mask in certain situations, which you have disregarded. Scientists plead with us to do this because they are using information from a number of situations, not the least of which countries with uniform masking like Japan, which a subsequent poster pointed out.

”Luckily I live in a red state,”

It is actually people like you who have politicized the virus, making it more about civil liberties and the president or governor you like than the actual human disease toll. You just readily but unknowingly acknowledged and admitted it.

You talk about not burying your head in the sand when in fact it is textbook what you are actually doing. Going about your daily life serving ice cream to happy people like it’s 2018 while your state experiences more illness and death than an ENTIRE massive country like Japan can’t be any more burying your head in the sand. 

Welcome to America in 2020 I guess.

Edited by GoFlamesGo
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, teef said:

there's a ton of fans in florida in general.  every time i'm there and in bills gear, i always get a shout out.

It makes sense... probably a mix of transplants, retirees, and of course native FL residents who (justifiably) hate their hometown football team!!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Beast said:

To put this into prespective, I have to travel to Florida in October concerning work. However,  since I am an "essential" employee, I do not have to quarantine when I return to New York.

Makes sense, huh?

That must have been in the same bill where you need to put the elderly back in retirement home with other covid positive people hail to the NY leadership ! 

If they wanted to avoid the air port in Miami then they should fly into Ft. Myers or Naples its only a couple hr drive from there to the stadium if they are really worried plus if the fans have to be quarantined what about the players when they come back ?

Edited by T master

22 minutes ago, GoFlamesGo said:

You talk about not burying your head in the sand when in fact it is textbook what you are actually doing. Going about your daily life serving ice cream to happy people like it’s 2018 while your state experiences more illness and death than an ENTIRE massive country like Japan can’t be any more burying your head in the sand. 

Careful about throwing stones, NYS is going to win that drag race by a mile!

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BeerLeagueHockey said:

I actually don’t live in NY state anymore, and I did not mean to make this a state vs state issue as you might have taken it (was just pointing out Florida as an entity is a total embarrassment). And I’m not proud really of how a substantive proportion of the people in any of our states have behaved through the pandemic. This has truly been an American failure that crosses every state line. 

The illness and death in Florida was almost entirely avoidable though... they weren’t blindsided like Wuhan or Bergamo. 

7 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

ROTFLMAO!

Isn't that where "Things Gotta Breathe" woman lives? 

Taking a risk putting this here - video from Dr discussing medical reasons to not wear a mask - but if this link doesn't work go to 5:17 for his remarks on this woman. 

I 😂 until I 🐱, you might too (the whole video is good. but not as amusing)

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

Are you from NY?  You can get in a world of legal trouble for driving to one of the banned states and not quarantining.  Just about every workplace makes you complete a questionnaire asking whether you traveled outside of NYS.  If you are caught lying you can legally be held liable 

You can be, but let's be honest: the NYS quarantine is like the Metro systems where you buy a ticket but no one checks it when you get on the train; you can be fined if you're found to not have a ticket during spot-checks, but the system primarily depends upon most people being honest and willing to comply.

43 minutes ago, BeerLeagueHockey said:

Exactly, TX and Fla have way more cases then NY.  NY got hit first and had to figure out best treatments and protocols from scratch with little coherent leadership from feds.  Death rates have gone way down because of NY experience and figuring it out, yet infections in Fla and TX far exceed NY and death eventually will surpass NY.  Sad because you would think would have learned. But Red states have called it a conspiracy despite the science and continue to have high numbers of infections.  NY is down to a dull roar though still idiots not following basic infection protocols and being spreaders.

Edited by North Buffalo

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You can be, but let's be honest: the NYS quarantine is like the Metro systems where you buy a ticket but no one checks it when you get on the train; you can be fined if you're found to not have a ticket during spot-checks, but the system primarily depends upon most people being honest and willing to comply.

Been noticing a lot of “law and order” types are being pretty selective about which laws and orders they choose to abide by.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1