Erie County Dept. of Health Warning Fans Who Plan on Attending the Miami Game

T&C

To put this into prespective, I have to travel to Florida in October concerning work. However,  since I am an "essential" employee, I do not have to quarantine when I return to New York.

Makes sense, huh?

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Like it or not, the 14 day quarantine is NYS law, so, Fair.

Unstated but a point is that pretty sure NY would like to see Erie and adjacent counties where most of the fans are from, drop to a positivity rate of 0.5% with no active cluster outbreaks to have fans at the game (this is a guess based on messing with the Georgia Tech Covid Probability tool). 

Go to Miami, party up, come home with the Covid-19 and share, won’t help that goal.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Beast said:

To put this into prespective, I have to travel to Florida in October concerning work. However,  since I am an "essential" employee, I do not have to quarantine when I return to New York.

Makes sense, huh?

You should make an "essential" trip to Miami next week then :)

• Haha (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Beast said:

Makes sense, huh?

Will you be joining 12000 people in a stadium for your work trip?

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, TBBills said:

That would probably be true. Though I am not going, better to watch from TV at home... Cheaper

when i go back to a bills game, i want it to be the full experience.  i'm with you that it just wouldn't be worth the money at this point.

• Like (+1) 1

It's pretty amazing that, now in September, some people still are not aware for NYS travel restrictions from certain states.  This has nothing to do with Erie County DOH.

You can tell who doesn't get out to travel much---anyone who has flown into any NYS airport has seen the local DOH staffers waiting for them if their arriving flight is from a restricted state.

• Like (+1) 2

I have done some ticket price spot checking on the Miami game on VividSeats.  About a week ago, the cheapest available seat (ticket plus fees) would be about $200.  Looking this morning, looks like a bit over $60 would get a seat.  

Edited by Bob in Mich

I'd have to wonder how hard it would be to get tickets to begin with. So this is from a few weeks ago and I haven't heard anything about changes but 13,000 fans doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room for Bills fans. I'm sure some will attend but my guess is 20% of the 13K at best.

https://www.thephinsider.com/2020/8/24/21398937/miami-dolphins-2020-season-stadium-fans-covid-19-coornavirus-20-percent

I never figured too many New Yorkers would make their way down to Miami for this game.  Do they usually?

There's a ton of Bills fans in Florida and up into Atlanta.. I just assumed that's where most of our Bills fans at Dolphins games come from.

27 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Unstated but a point is that pretty sure NY would like to see Erie and adjacent counties where most of the fans are from, drop to a positivity rate of 0.5% with no active cluster outbreaks to have fans at the game (this is a guess based on messing with the Georgia Tech Covid Probability tool). 

then why don’t they just state that???

Could be a good time to remind our local legislators that the pandemic planning literature from the WHO, CDC, ECDC (euro version) categorically recommend against the quarantine and restricted travel of healthy individuals. They made this determination from comprehensive review of all literature and study ever done on the topic. The experts are still insisting that we should have followed these protocols, if you're listening to the right ones. 

And using egregiously amplified PCR testing rates while regularly testing previously unsampled young, healthy populace, to write legislation, is abhorrently unscientific and asinine. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Haha (+1) 1

This has good intentions but is not being enforced. This is all based on self-compliance.

i just flew in & out of BUF this past weekend because I go every month to visit my parents. My state is not FL but is on the restricted list. I filled out the on-line form and had an ecopy ready to show. When entering the on-line form I indicated I was from an area which did not have C19 restrictions. This is true as my area of VA does not have a high infection rate. By stating this, the e-form returned “...not subject to quarantine..”.

When I flew to BUF in Aug,, 2 people met the plane to collect the paper forms from people. Now there is a table outside the passenger exit/TSA entry near the elevator & escalator/stairs to collect forms or view e-forms. Honestly, I just walked past it because I was in a hurry to pick up a rental car. Nobody stopped me asking for my form.

I bet NYS will not be checking airplane passenger manifests to see who submitted forms. Now it doesn’t matter as I have completed my trip.

3 minutes ago, Mr Info said:

This has good intentions but is not being enforced. This is all based on self-compliance.

i just flew in & out of BUF this past weekend because I go every month to visit my parents. My state is not FL but is on the restricted list. I filled out the on-line form and had an ecopy ready to show. When entering the on-line form I indicated I was from an area which did not have C19 restrictions. This is true as my area of VA does not have a high infection rate. By stating this, the e-form returned “...not subject to quarantine..”.

When I flew to BUF in Aug,, 2 people met the plane to collect the paper forms from people. Now there is a table outside the passenger exit/TSA entry near the elevator & escalator/stairs to collect forms or view e-forms. Honestly, I just walked past it because I was in a hurry to pick up a rental car. Nobody stopped me asking for my form.

I bet NYS will not be checking airplane passenger manifests to see who submitted forms. Now it doesn’t matter as I have completed my trip.

Danger Will Robinson, covaids morality lectures incoming!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

42 minutes ago, billspro said:

Why would you still have to quarantine with a negative COVID test? Common sense gets lost easily these days. There are lots of BillsMafia that live in Florida. I think there will definitely be some Bills fans at the game.

Common sense??  So are you proposing people who go to Miami come back and get tested and if it's negative they are fine, no worries? It takes up to 14 days after exposure before you could test positive and in turn pass on to others.  You could return get tested every day for the first seven days and be negative, then stop being tested, then on day 11 you have the virus in you and are capable of passing it to others, and BTW could still test negative.  Now you exposed the virus to others, finally on day 12 you develop symptoms yourself, get tested again and it comes back positive.

No idea what your logic is that a negative test would mean you don't need to quarantine??

Having heard to from a couple of people who actually were sick with Covid, health officials were only concerned with the people they interacted with in the 48 hours prior to them developing symptoms.  So apparently 5 days or so prior to a person having symptoms, they aren't able to be spreaders.  Also sounds like most people develop symptoms within a week of exposure, but in some cases can be up to 14 days so to be cautious require a 14 day period.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Mr Info said:

My buddy walked past the same booth with no ramifications 

• Like (+1) 1