WGR this morning (9/14)

Virgil

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

I've recently taken a job where I'm more of a 9-5 and can listen to the Bills Radio on my way into work.  Today was the first time I did it and was really looking forward to it.  I have to say, it was terrible.

For 40 straight minutes, the only thing they talked about was Allen's fumbles and Daboll calling so many QB runs.  Not the 300+ yards, not a dominating defense, not being 1-0, not any of the other many positives.  The worst part was, the fans were mostly responsible.  Every called, minus one who talked about preseason games not being missed, wanted to talk about the fumbles and how much they COULD have affected the game.

Are we so beaten and broken that we can't appreciate all of the positive steps forward this team has taken and the position we are in this season?  If I didn't know any better, you'd think we won or lost in a squeaker.

I hope today was a microcosm of that show, but c'mon...

Buffalo sports radio has ALWAYS sucked. It’s a WNY tradition -like wings & Beef On Weck. Sadly, I still tune in during the season..

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Mmmmmm, Meatloaf!!!!!

❤️ me some ‘loaf’! with smashed taters ‘n asperigee? Nofin’ better!

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

I've recently taken a job where I'm more of a 9-5 and can listen to the Bills Radio on my way into work.  Today was the first time I did it and was really looking forward to it.  I have to say, it was terrible.

For 40 straight minutes, the only thing they talked about was Allen's fumbles and Daboll calling so many QB runs.  Not the 300+ yards, not a dominating defense, not being 1-0, not any of the other many positives.  The worst part was, the fans were mostly responsible.  Every called, minus one who talked about preseason games not being missed, wanted to talk about the fumbles and how much they COULD have affected the game.

Are we so beaten and broken that we can't appreciate all of the positive steps forward this team has taken and the position we are in this season?  If I didn't know any better, you'd think we won or lost in a squeaker.

I think this is half true. 

Yes the defense is good, McDermott, Frazier and Beane have identified a scheme and players that clamp down, especially through the air. 

Yes, Daboll calling 46 pass plays gets the Bills into modern NFL football. 

I think what you are seeing is that there is a bar of expectation for this team now. Allen was good yesterday. But two fumbles, missing Brown in the endzone, underthrowing Beasley, means it wasn't perfect, and I think the "negative" fans you are hearing, know that the Bills team that showed up Sunday, is not going to be good enough to beat the Chiefs or Ravens, and ultimately we all know that's where you want to be to win a Super Bowl. 

So it's not hey it's just the Jets, I'm not impressed. But it is, an eye towards the end of the season and how do the Bills avoid collapses like Houston last year. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, 34-78-83 said:

I've listened to most of this morning on WGR and there has been a ton of positive and affirmation that Allen played a very good game and Dabol had a very good plan. Some debate about how many QB runs were called sure, but mixed with a lot of fair and reasoned takes. You must have caught a special 40 minute pocket :)

I listened to the whole first 90 minutes of the show. The OP premise is just untrue. 

Why does any talk of the fumbles/missed throws have to be negative? I was talking with my cousin and we both agreed Allen could have easily had 5TDs if not for the Brown and Beasley misfires. That's a good sign IMO.

I'm listening on the app and am behind, but Howard Simon just came back from commercial saying Allen had career highs in many categories. Do you want him to just keep repeating that all morning?

• Like (+1) 1

As for people being upset about too many Allen runs (despite the team producing over 400 yards of offense), I'll just leave today's quote from Bill Belichick here.

“We always try to do what’s best for the team to win,” Belichick said. “Everything we’ve done for the last 20 years, and rightfully so, has been for Tom Brady. It was for Tom Brady. Everything was dedicated to him, other than the games that he didn’t play in, like when [Matt] Cassel played or Jimmy [Garoppolo] and then Jacoby [Brissett] when Brady was suspended. So there were times when we had to plan differently, but when your starting quarterback has things that he’s good at or things that you can take advantage of, then I think you try to take advantage of them.”

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

As for people being upset about too many Allen runs (despite the team producing over 400 yards of offense), I'll just leave today's quote from Bill Belichick here.

“We always try to do what’s best for the team to win,” Belichick said. “Everything we’ve done for the last 20 years, and rightfully so, has been for Tom Brady. It was for Tom Brady. Everything was dedicated to him, other than the games that he didn’t play in, like when [Matt] Cassel played or Jimmy [Garoppolo] and then Jacoby [Brissett] when Brady was suspended. So there were times when we had to plan differently, but when your starting quarterback has things that he’s good at or things that you can take advantage of, then I think you try to take advantage of them.”

That does not  mean win one game. It is win for the season or the long haul. 

Edited by ngbills

2 hours ago, Crayola64 said:

There is a small percentage of fans that disliked Allen before he was drafted, purely because some media pundits labeled him bad.  And they can’t let that go.

thank god we have Allen over Darnold, mayfield, or Rosen...

Mayfield is a stud, has his own TV commercials and everything

6 national televised games last year alone.....

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Chemical said:

I listened to the whole first 90 minutes of the show. The OP premise is just untrue. 

Why does any talk of the fumbles/missed throws have to be negative? I was talking with my cousin and we both agreed Allen could have easily had 5TDs if not for the Brown and Beasley misfires. That's a good sign IMO.

I'm listening on the app and am behind, but Howard Simon just came back from commercial saying Allen had career highs in many categories. Do you want him to just keep repeating that all morning?

I listened from 7:50a-8:30a.  Besides commercials and comments about preseason, it was all about fumbles and play calls for Allen to run

You think that's rough,try listening to Eagles radio. I tune in after losses out of morbid curiosity. I'm never disappointed.

Today one of the topics was how Jason Peters held the team hostage for more money then came out and stunk up the joint. I smiled.

Edited by That's No Moon

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Bills fans wringing their hands over Allen running too much.

Meanwhile...

And if you look at the pounding Newton has taken over his career you understand why people are worried. Also, how many fumbles did Cam have? He has 55 in 125 games. Josh has 24 in 29 games. That's alarming frequency.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

While some of the hosts just show up every day and mail it in, the callers by far are the worst part of WGR local shows.  They would be more easily tolerated if calls were eliminated...but that would mean the hosts would have to work harder. 

Agreed. I can stomach the on-air talent, and sometimes even like listening to them. But the moment they go to the phones, I immediately turn it off. Just the absolute worst takes from the fans.

That said, I try not to let that skew my perspective of the entire fan base. For all the dumb crap he says, Colin Cowherd has a great bit about the type of grown adult men who have time during a week day to sit on hold for hours just to express an opinion about a game someone else played. Obviously, they dont have much else going on in their lives, and there is reason for that.

34 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

You think that's rough,try listening to Eagles radio. I tune in after losses out of morbid curiosity. I'm never disappointed.

Today one of the topics was how Jason Peters held the team hostage for more money then came out and stunk up the joint. I smiled.

they lost to a team that doesn’t even have a real name!

23 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

That said, I try not to let that skew my perspective of the entire fan base. For all the dumb crap he says, Colin Cowherd has a great bit about the type of grown adult men who have time during a week day to sit on hold for hours just to express an opinion about a game someone else played. Obviously, they dont have much else going on in their lives, and there is reason for that.

Every single WGR caller sounds like a 55-year-old man who is intoxicated.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

thats on par for most sports talk radio - negativity drives ratings. Calls are screened so the selected narrative is discussed. 

• Like (+1) 1