Technology and Crowd Noise

Chaos

Well I guess I disagree LOL Overall, it was a distraction, and a tad dumb, like canned laughter. But sometimes it did add something, yes.

I prefer reality I guess

UFC has no fans, and while it sucks for the energy and all, and fighter introductions greeted by silence is so weird, then we hear the strikes, even fighters and cornermen talking.

I sure hope fans can be back, even in small numbers, after those first 2 home games. The Chiefs crowd was damn loud for being only 17,000!

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I think the fake noise is non-sense...like a bad laughtrack from a 70s comedy sitcom.  I would much rather hear the reactions of the players/staff when a play is made.

I love it when i hear the pads hit and the unscripted comments you can pick up, i also love to hear the QB and the defense call plays per snap.  A few hits i was able to hear when they turned down the noise really helped emphasize the action on the game.

Agreed, I’d love to see fans back in the stadium, but right now we’re all aware they aren’t. Football Sunday was a great diversion, and I enjoyed it greatly. I learned that I just want to watch football. I don’t care if these games are played in a cornfield. There’s no need to provide a fake ambience. It would definitely be something more unique if we got to hear the on field action. 

• Like (+1) 1

I was surprised at how well it went . I wondered if it would feel as intense but it did. I also liked that you could hear the pops of the hits more clearly. 

I do think they should have feeds set up at various fans homes so they could cut to them celebrating after big plays or scores, kind of how they did during the draft (minus the naked guy of course).

One of the messages with this pandemic is that we're all in it together, but there's such a disconnect with the fans now. It'd be nice to see people watching with their families and friends, seeing them dressed in bills gear, celebrating after a score or whatever. And in this day and age its so easy to do. 

2 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

They said at the stadium it was just a dull hum, like a vacuum. The crowd noise was done through the broadcast but the players couldnt hear it. 

I wonder how many Bill's fans will be in Miami next week making noise.

Yeah I heard that too.  Makes you wonder why the stadium noise wasn't more Bills-focused (huming vacuum?), with cheering/booing at the right time (Shout song?) etc.  They should consult with the NHL - the people doing those games really have it down - the home team sounds/songs, even do things like play "ooooooooh!" on a close shot or good save.

One positive of the home-town sound fail was at least it wasn't constant train horn - I was dreading that.

Ya know what I realized about the canned noise?

Two things.

One: My voice is likely included in that audio, as are many voices here, I would assume. It's from the last four years of audio at Bills games, and I was at a decent amount of those.

Two. Some of it is dead people. That's right. Dead people. Statistically, it's certain that some of those people have died. We're listening to ***** GHOSTS when we watch the Bills!

40 minutes ago, Logic said:

Ya know what I realized about the canned noise?

Two things.

One: My voice is likely included in that audio, as are many voices here, I would assume. It's from the last four years of audio at Bills games, and I was at a decent amount of those.

Two. of it is dead people. That's right. Dead people. Statis Sometically, it's certain that some of those people have died. We're listening to ***** GHOSTS when we watch the Bills!

Ridiculous.

So i guess you dont watch any old movies or old recordings, get rid of any home movies that are old, after all you sure wouldn't want to listen to Ghosts, oh how scary!!!

Yes there was fake noise playing inside the stadium at a 70 db level. And there was also a different fake noise on the tv broadcaster side, that was custom tailored by sound engineers to be more like how local fans would respond. It is at the broadcasters discretion as to play this additional sound track or not.... but most have to start the season.

Personally i'm glad they have the fake noise in the background. I just wish it were on the same loudness level that we average over here. 70db's is a lot different than 100 or 124db's we've been registered at in years past. But i do know people who say the fake noise is bad & they wish the games were played in silence, so they can hear all the on field communication better. Even though that works with say the UFC matches, I cant imagine football being played in silence. It'd be like watching a game in Miami for the whole year... screw that!

Anyways, if anyone is curious as to the details about all of this can read up on it here: https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-broadcasts-2020-fake-crowd-noise-explained-covid/73nq9jby87yi1em47p84enrre

2 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Ridiculous.

So i guess you dont watch any old movies or old recordings, get rid of any home movies that are old, after all you sure wouldn't want to listen to Ghosts, oh how scary!!!

It was a joke, man.

Lighten up.

• Haha (+1) 1

I can honestly say I didn't notice or even think about the crowd noise and there being no crowd in the stands.

I do remember them saying on the broadcast that in the stadium, a constant 70dbs was pumped through the speakers at a constant hum that was similar to a vaccum (Lofton made a joke about his vaccum was probably louder)

i didnt like the the fake crowd noise.  i was hoping the stadium was gonna play the shout song after a score.  Also, did anyone else notice Edmunds throw his hands up after a big tackle to pump up the crowd?

I'm not a fan, it's fake (fact) and annoying (opinion).

I'd rather they get creative with the time between plays that is typically taken up by the crowd. It's kinda like if the late shows went to a laugh track to help cover their awkward pauses when they stopped having a studio audience.

Then they adapted (at least some of them did) and changed the style to match the reality of the medium they were performing in. Give me analytics and film guys dropping in from time to time to talk about trends they're seeing. Show me more advanced stats and things to look for in body mechanics or oline techniques to look for in different situations based on the likely analytics (basically give me aTony Romo guy to drop in between plays from time to time like they do with the rules guy).

Don't give me a laugh track because you can't figure out a new way to do things in this reality. The yellow line was jaring once too.