Technology and Crowd Noise

Chaos

Kudos to CBS/NFL for the crowd noise added to the broadcast. It was really well done. If you did not know it was fake, one might not even notice. 

But I think there is a better solution.  Put an Alexa speaker (or google assistant or other similar device) on each seat, and let fans "rent" one for the game.  An app to play the actual fans screaming in their living rooms would be fun.  Players could actually pump up the fans. 

I thought it was dead in the first part of the game and more noticeable later.   The one thing that kept tripping me up is once in a while after a good play be the d you would get some sound that sounds like a mix of cheers and boos which typically happens with a late flag.....so while the noise helps, it is not always the exact noise to accompany what is happening.  And that is not complaining, it is what it is, a crappy siguation with the pandemic and all of the world is doing what we can do...

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Kudos to CBS/NFL for the crowd noise added to the broadcast. It was really well done. If you did not know it was fake, one might not even notice. 

But I think there is a better solution.  Put an Alexa speaker (or google assistant or other similar device) on each seat, and let fans "rent" one for the game.  An app to play the actual fans screaming in their living rooms would be fun.  Players could actually pump up the fans. 

Meh.. 

70 decibels of piped in noise isn't loud enough.  Pump it up 10.

The Fake Noise by the broadcaster was different for numerous games.  I thought that I had heard a FOG HORN in the SF game.

The Saints - Bucs game noise seemed to be loud enough got Joe and Troy to raised their voices.  

1 minute ago, Charles Romes said:

I think it was the stadium pumping in the fake crowd noise not CBS.  

It was both.  

The announcers for the Bill game said as much.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsFanSD said:

Yeah, I was stunned at how good the simulated crowd noise was.  It isn't perfect, but it's hard to believe there aren't actually fans in the stands until they pan out and show the empty seats.

This approach started with the English Premier League a few months back. I committed then as to how it took a few weeks but they started to work it out. I’m glad to see the NFL was paying attention. I actually think all of the major sports have done a great job adapting. Happy it’s all back on TV.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

They definitely nailed the drunk, half-assed “Ayy-ay-ay-aaaay” chant, noticed that several times in the second half.

LMAO.  That caught my ear, too.

They did a great job.  The only thing that made it feel a little different was being able to hear the QBs more than normal.  Other than that, it felt no different than any other game pre-Covid.

• Like (+1) 2

I think the fake noise is non-sense...like a bad laughtrack from a 70s comedy sitcom.  I would much rather hear the reactions of the players/staff when a play is made.

I love it when i hear the pads hit and the unscripted comments you can pick up, i also love to hear the QB and the defense call plays per snap.  A few hits i was able to hear when they turned down the noise really helped emphasize the action on the game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I especially liked the cheers quickly piped in when the Bills did something well. It will take a few home games for each team's staff to get it really right. The team should have the option to play boos if the refs mess up in the visiting team's favor or a visiting player acts like a jerk.

25 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

What happened to the train horn?

Hoping that is a lasting casualty of COVID-19.

Edited by scribo
  • Like (+1) 1